FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Manning Street Houses
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

I ask why Ornstein would bring this back to the forefront of the news?
Haven't they (cult center) received enough negative press for their parking lot? They must find some redeeming factor in doing so.

I say it should backfire on her face!
What say you the public?

Peace,
RAP

Dort houses: Move 'em or lose 'em
Manning Street properties offered for free
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
By Bryn Mickle
bmickle@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6383
FLINT - Three historical houses on Manning Street can be yours at no cost.
But here's the catch.
Would-be owners of the houses built by J. Dallas Dort will have to spend about $70,000 to move them somewhere else.

The Flint Cultural Center is making a last-ditch effort to spare the structures from the wrecking ball by offering them for free to qualified takers.
The houses will disappear one way or another to make room for a Flint Institute of Music parking lot.

To get one of the circa-1900 houses, prospective owners must pay for the houses to be moved, build new foundations and bring them up to code.
What kind of shape are they in? "Not fabulous, but not bad," said Cindy Ornstein, chief executive officer of the cultural center.

The houses originally were adjacent to the Dort estate and were used as rentals for people associated with the Durant-Dort Carriage Company.
A fourth house, deemed unsalvageable due to structural problems, will be demolished.
Anonymous donors already have pledged to offset $15,000 of the moving expenses for each house, and Ornstein is hopeful that the houses will be saved.

One person has expressed interest in taking all three and keeping them in Flint, but the cultural center is opening the process to everyone.
Here's how it will work;
Open houses will be held from 11 am.-1 p.m. Saturday and from 5 p.m.-6:30 p.m. March 18.

Applications for consideration must be filed by April 8, and selections will be announced April 10.
First preference will be given to anyone willing to take all three houses and keep them in Flint, with secondary preference given to those willing to move and keep one house in the city. If that doesn't draw anyone qualified, the cultural center will opt for anyone willing to keep the houses in Genesee County.
If it comes down to it, however, the cultural center will allow the homes to be moved outside of the county.
The cultural center initially planned to have the Genesee County Land Bank move the houses to Carriage Town, but that proved too costly.
Historical preservation advocates have decried past plans to move the houses, arguing that a parking lot could be built elsewhere.
"It's very disappointing," said David White, president of the Genesee County Historical Society.
"They would rather destroy our heritage rather than preserve it."
If no one takes the houses next month? A little bit of Flint history will be knocked down come July.
"We are hopeful (it won't come to that)," said Ornstein.
What if more than three people come forward with enough cash to move the houses?
"We'll draw names from a hat," she said.

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:35 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

The original article was misleading because it said that the cost of moving the houses is $70,000.... that's for all three houses, not for one. There is also the article on ABC12.com that keeps using the word "compromise" to describe the "deal" to give away the houses for free....

Stop me if I'm wrong, but I thought the idea of compromise was that both sides had to give something. The FCCC isn't making any concessions by giving the houses away. Actually its saving them demolition costs. A true compromise would have been if they would have moved the houses back on the property and turned them around so that they could have made a parking lot, and the houses would still stay on the property.

If the FCCC donated some of the money to move the houses, that MIGHT shed a tiny speck of light into the deep dark hole they've dug themselves.

I really shouldn't get started on this topic. I could go on forever.

I'm not sure if this is blow the belt or whatever, but as I walked past the music school the other day, I thought it was sad that pretty soon, the only things you'll be able to associate with the name DORT are buildings that no longer exist and a place where prostitutes convene.

Good job.
Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:31 am 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Open houses will be held from 11 am.-1 p.m. Saturday and from 5 p.m.-6:30 p.m. March 18.

If you really care...This would be a great time to stage a protest.

I know i have said this before but did not take the time to Make Signs to protest the moving of these historical houses.

The Cult center has lost membership and donations that support the good work that they do because of this fiasco.

One final push by those that care could make a difference?

Just a small blurb in the press could sway the powers that be.

Just do it!
Nothing ventured nothing gained!

Peace,
RAP

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:44 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

The FCCC must have found my schedule because both open houses are precisely when I'll be in class. grr.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:38 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

heh heh heh....Tegan has class.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:20 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

you bet! I'm a classy lady!
Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:14 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

One of the best movie lines ever, from Back To School:

Professor: "Actually, I'd like to join you,
but I have class tonight."

Rodney Dangerfield: "How about tomorrow night?"

Professor: "I have class then, too."

Rodney Dangerfield: "I'll tell you what, then.
Why don't you call me when you have no class?"

Professor: "All right. Maybe I will."
Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:04 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

It was unanimous last night to rezone manning Ct for the parking lot. Dallas Dort gave a killer speech about how his grandfather would have thought the thousands of students to be more important than the historical houses.

None of the houses will be saved.
http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/07/flints_historic_manning_street.html
Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:52 pm 
Gumby
F L I N T O I D

Yay another f'ing parking lot. Great job lots of culture coming out of parking lots these days. Everyone on the Historic commision should be ashamed of themselves and resign right now. The argument for the need of the parking lot is extremely weak at best. Get your fat ass out of your cars parents and walk your children to the door.
Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:26 pm 
Gumby
F L I N T O I D

Yay another f'ing parking lot. Great job lots of culture coming out of parking lots these days. Everyone on the Historic commision should be ashamed of themselves and resign right now. The argument for the need of the parking lot is extremely weak at best. Get your fat ass out of your cars parents and walk your children to the door.
Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:27 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I don't get what the big hurry is for another parking lot.

It's too far, is that what you're saying?

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:45 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

When our daughter took ballet at FIM, we parked by the Planetarium & walked. No big deal.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
When our daughter took ballet at FIM, we parked by the Planetarium & walked. No big deal.

You also live in the dangerous north end. Flint is a leader in sex offenders rapes murders etc. I think the safety and security and convenience of the 1000's of students is more important than a few old homes.
Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:23 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

CPL

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Thousands of students? That might be a bit of a stretch there, Adam.

But I've never heard of some major danger in the cultural area. In fact, in all these years, I don't think I've ever even read about someone getting robbed coming out of the Whiting after dark.

I could be wrong.

They aren't a few "silly" houses, they're historical landmarks for Flint. Even so, even if it was a crappy little row house, why does the world need ANOTHER parking lot? I mean seriously.

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:54 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: