FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Where are you getting your news

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I wonder why Flintalk isnt on the list??? Confused

March 19, 2008Nielsen Online Names Top 30 News Sites
Categories: Data
The following is data from Nielsen Online on the top 30 sites in the “News” category based on February 2008 traffic. This data takes into account U.S. home and work Internet usage, and it shows both unique visitors to each brand or channel and sessions per person. For more information about the sourcing of this data, please visit www.netratings.com.

Nielsen Online is providing these data sets to the Newspaper Association of America on a monthly basis.

Top 30 Online Current Events & Global News Destinations, ranked by Sessions per Person

Brand or channel; sessions per person; unique audience (000)
1. drudgereport.com; 19.9; 3,445
2. Daily Kos^; 8.9; 1,204
3. Fox News Digital Network; 8.3; 10,177
4. CNN Digital Network; 7.9; 37,181
5. AOL News; 7.7; 21,119
6. Yahoo! News; 7.4; 35,274
7. MSNBC Digital Network; 6.4; 34,013
8. ksl.com^; 6.0; 796
9. Breitbart.com; 5.3; 2,674
10. Google News; 5.3; 12,050
11. Gannett Newspapers and Newspaper Division; 5.1; 13,998
12. NYTimes.com; 4.9; 18,975
13. Netscape; 4.8; 2,709
14. Townhall.com; 4.7; 1,152
15. Media General Newspapers; 4.6; 1,761
16. GTGI Network 4.5; 1,345
17. Star Tribune; 4.3; 2,108
18. TWC News Websites; 4.1; 840
19. NewsMax.com; 4.0; 4,054
20. Zwire^; 3.9; 1,089
21. Cox Newspapers; 3.9; 5,197
22. washingtonpost.com; 3.8; 10,441
23. Milwaukee Journal Sentinel; 3.8; 1,259
24. The Buffalo News^; 3.7; 502
25. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette; 3.6; 1,472
26. MediaNews Group Newspapers; 3.5; 5,850
27. USATODAY.com; 3.5; 10,571
28. WorldNow 3.5; 10,588
29. IB Websites; 3.4; 7,565
30. St. Louis Post Dispatch^; 3.4; 1,022
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:40 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

If you actually LOOK at the data, the way it is ranked is how many sessions PER PERSON. All that means is those who go to the drudgereport can't tear themselves away from suckling at that teat. They average nearly 20 sessions per month. The UNIQUE AUDIENCE is the true measure of a site's appeal, which makes CNN the winner; however, I'm assuming this is also capturing syndication. The most popular standalone site appears to be the NY Times.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:47 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

The reason they "cant tear themselves away" is their are so many factual and interesting accounts of whats happining with out it being filtered thru the likes of CNN and the NY times. I know its painful to realize that Drudge is no.1 as well as fox News being No1 in cable news but thems the facts mam. Laughing
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting storys like this with Dr Pounds and Dr Lips. Him being Pounds and she being Lips Laughing .
By ANDREW C. REVKIN
In the scientific equivalent of the board game Clue, teams of biologists have been sifting spotty evidence and pointing to various culprits in the widespread vanishing of harlequin frogs.

The amphibians, of the genus Atelopus — actually toads despite their common name — once hopped in great numbers along stream banks on misty slopes from the Andes to Costa Rica. After 20 years of die-offs, they are listed as critically endangered by conservation groups and are mainly seen in zoos.

It looked as if one research team was a winner in 2006 when global warming was identified as the “trigger” in the extinctions by the authors of a much-cited paper in Nature. The researchers said they had found a clear link between unusually warm years and the vanishing of mountainside frog populations.

The “bullet,” the researchers said, appeared to be a chytrid fungus that has attacked amphibian populations in many parts of the world but thrives best in particular climate conditions.

The authors, led by J. Alan Pounds of the Monteverde Cloud Forest Preserve in Costa Rica, said, “Here we show that a recent mass extinction associated with pathogen outbreaks is tied to global warming.” The study was featured in reports last year by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

Other researchers have been questioning that connection. Last year, two short responses in Nature questioned facets of the 2006 paper. In the journal, Dr. Pounds and his team said the new analyses in fact backed their view that “global warming contributes to the present amphibian crisis,” but avoided language saying it was “a key factor,” as they wrote in 2006.

Now, in the March 25 issue of PLoS Biology, another team argues that the die-offs of harlequins and some other amphibians reflect the spread and repeated introductions of the chytrid fungus. They question the analysis linking the disappearances to climate change. In interviews and e-mail exchanges, Dr. Pounds and the lead author of the new paper, Karen R. Lips of Southern Illinois University, disputed each other’s analysis. Experts who have researched the amphibian said neither group had enough evidence to nail down its case and warned that this normal tussle over scientific details should not distract from the reality that humans are clearly roiling biology in ways important and yet poorly understood.

“There is so much we still do not know!” David B. Wake, a biologist at the University of California, Berkeley, wrote in an e-mail note after reading the new paper. The origin of the fungus and the way it kills amphibians remain unknown, he said, and there are ample mysteries about why it breaks out in certain places and times and not others.

Dr. Pounds and Dr. Lips have both done important work, Dr. Wake said, adding, “I hope this does not turn into a ‘spitting contest,’ because we all have a lot to learn about amphibian declines.”

Ross A. Alford, a tropical biologist at James Cook University in Townsville, Australia, said such scientific tussles, while important, could be a distraction, particularly when considering the uncertain risks attending global warming.

“Arguing about whether we can or cannot already see the effects,” he said, “is like sitting in a house soaked in gasoline, having just dropped a lit match, and arguing about whether we can actually see the flames yet, while waiting to see if maybe it might go out on its own.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/25/science/25frog.html?ei=5065&en=3347263b82c9c04d&ex=1207022400&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:54 am 
squash
F L I N T O I D

Most stable:

Every country has been given a risk rating out of 100 for all-round stablilty

1. Vatican 99

2. Sweden 99

3. Luxembourg 99

4. Monaco 98

5. Gibraltar 98

6. San Marino 98

7. Liechtenstein 97

8. United Kingdom 97

9. The Netherlands 97

10. Irish Republic 97

US: 22nd equal 93

Hey look what else was on the Drudge Report. Go Sweden. Also on the list were San Marino and The Vatican, which are both independent nations within Italy's border. So my theory is this:
Good meatballs = Stable nation.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:16 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Looks like 10 great choices for the Im Leaving America if so and so wins crowd to run off to. Laughing
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:23 am 
squash
F L I N T O I D

Or we just need to improve the quality of our meatballs here in the States. Maybe Mario Batali as Secretary of State???
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:28 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Every morning their are a couple of travel programs on HD net that tours old Europe. I believe i could survive very nicely in Sweden, great scenery if ya know what I mean. Laughing
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:49 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Sorry twotap, but if you can't read the data, you shouldn't be posting it.

I made no claim of what or what is NOT on the Drudge Report. I couldn't care less, frankly. I do, however, care about people who have no clue how to interpret numbers and then make an asinine claim based on their ignorance.

THE ONLY THING your data shows is that the average person who visits that site visits it 19 times a month. Big whoop.

Once more, look at UNIQUE AUDIENCE.

Why must you politicize every goddamn thing I post?
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:04 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Why must you politicize every goddamn thing I post?

Since were on the Political talk forum I believe ya just answered that question yourself. Laughing And of course what does Nielsen know about data and Numbers compared to ---------? Laughing

Last edited by twotap on Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:46 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I don't get your answer. Seriously.

I am a data analyst. My interest is in reading numbers & research correctly. I could have as easily made the same comment about people who go to Daily KOS; the only reason I chose Drudge is because it is on the top of the list.

So again, how is that ME asserting MY political agenda?

I don't take everything you say and try and taint it with some hidden motive.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:59 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
I don't take everything you say and try and taint it with some hidden motive.

Now ya got me feeling bad.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:03 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Thank you Smile I'm really not the "lib" you think I am. I defy categorization!

And I apologize for taking a bitchy tone with you. You guys haven't been too brutal lately, but sometimes I do feel persecuted for disagreeing.

You're still one of my favorites though. Probably because your perverted handle amuses me...
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:15 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
You're still one of my favorites though.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Political forums would sure be dull if all the participants were a bunch of middle of the road wont take a position Moderates.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:21 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Every morning their are a couple of travel programs on HD net that tours old Europe. I believe i could survive very nicely in Sweden, great scenery if ya know what I mean. Laughing

Oh yeah I know what you mean. Wink

[img]

Yowzah![/img]
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:49 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: