FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: A beautiful day out in Downtown Flint

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

* This is a boring little post about what I did yesterday. It's not really important, except that people tell us not even to DRIVE around these places, let alone walk, and I was expecting a very different experience than we had. Granted, I know there are worse places around the city where I shouldn't go alone, but I am very proud of the wonderful day I had yesterday, so...

I had the BEST time yesterday walking around downtown Flint and Carriage Town taking pictures for my presentation.

The weather was beautiful and people seemed geniunely interested in what I was doing. First I spoke with a man who asked me what I thought about the facade restorations on the buildings near Flint City T-Shirts, then I walked down to the Durant Hotel and everyone was smiling at me and saying hello.

(There were a bunch of news vans and a Crim van at the Character Inn. I wonder what was going on)

Then my sister and I walked around Carriage Town, where one man asked about the project I was doing and wanted me to take a picture of his house, which I did. It was a nice house and the yard was kept very clean and he seemed very proud of it. Then we met another man named George near the Carriage Town Ministries who wanted me to take his picture, so I did.

Then we walked down Third to Ann Arbor Street to see the Stockton House and the other big house whose name escapes me, and then back up Court Street.

Nobody asked for money or a cigarette. Nobody catcalled us, with the exception of a Flint City truck passenger that honked at us and gave us a thumbs up, and a gentlement who called me gorgeous... I can't wait until its warmer so I can do more walking around Flint!
Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:25 am 
Gumby
F L I N T O I D

quote:
(There were a bunch of news vans and a Crim van at the Character Inn. I wonder what was going on)

The Crim Foundation has been talking about buying the Character. I wonder if it is an announcement of sale.
Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:04 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

I just saw on the Flint Journal website that "negotiations are ongoing, but no deal yet." Darn.
Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:02 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I've been thinking about photographing some of the Carriage Town houses, too. It's good to know you didn't have any problems. Five years ago, i was shooting some senior pictures at Riverbank park, and on the pedestrian bridge across the river. There were 3 or 4 street people that asked for money. One got obnoxious when I said no, but didn't try anything. Been there a few times since, with no problems. The pedestrian bridge across beach is a great place for pictures.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
lunchlady
F L I N T O I D

Right on Tegan! I had the same experience before I decided to open my business here. I was home on vacation (was living in Brooklyn) and people were so friendly down here, we were just walking around but we had a few very pleasant conversations with people on the street. People were excited even then about all the talk about downtown coming back. It is finally coming together down here. At the last DSBA meeting the U of M housing people gave a presentation about the new dorms. I can't wait to see people out and about after regular business hours and on weekends down here.

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
I can't wait to see people out and about after regular business hours and on weekends down here.

I hope you are right. Smile The sooner the better.
Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:26 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

I'm personally very excited about the dorms opening at UM-F. I hope it attracts many new businesses. (I'd say cute co-eds too, but those days are past for me) Before the kids (sigh) my wife and I would go for Torch Burgers and pints then on to some artsy-fartsy show at Buckham Alley. (a lib's night out Wink ) I never once felt uncomfortable stumbling out of The Torch, but my wife and I are both born and raised in Flint. Guess its different for some suburbanites; maybe this will help.
Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:48 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
squash schreef:
(I'd say cute co-eds too, but those days are past for me)

Never too old to dream.

(Having said that...it is different when they are younger that your daughter!)
Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:09 pm 
lunchlady
F L I N T O I D

I think it is going to be a little chilly tomorrow night, but it is the cool cities art auction and it is always a good time. There will be food and wine and nice people to mingle with. Oh and don't forget the great deals you can get on some original art. It is a great excuse to buy something and support a good cause. You can still end your night at The Torch but if you are stumbling please call a cab. Wink

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Pachuco
F L I N T O I D

Hey lunchldy, I have two questions for, you if you dont mind me asking. One, do you know what is going on with the flint city tshirts, the building next to it, and the properties Nick singelis owns. Two, can you scan any renderings of new buildings proposed or dsba agendas from february and march? I'm just really interested in downtown. my email adress is sexy.chicano@yahoo.com if you can scan them to me. thanks
Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:35 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

I promise I always had a driver when stumbling. My wife doesn't really like the taste of beer. She orders them I drink em.
Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:44 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Its always a beautiful day in Downtown Flint, lots of good positive stuff happening down here..

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:27 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

I will be hitting Flint like wildfire next week. Will be going to the FIA while the inlaws have the kiddos.

I will also hit the Flint Children's Museum next week, along with a lunch time with the kiddos at the Lunch Studio. I will make sure that they will be on their best behaviour lunchlady!!!!! You know screaming and running through the aisles. Smile Joking!!!!!

Then I will see if I can locate the house that my GG Grandpa built, and see where my G-Grandma lived on Baker street and check out some genealogy stuff in Flint. Smile

Andi

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:16 am 
lunchlady
F L I N T O I D

Running and screaming through the aisles, sounds like my waitresses. Just kidding. It sounds like you guys have a nice week planned. Say hi when you come in. T

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:14 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: