FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Michigan House get two weeks off for Easter?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Link

Why don't we get two weeks off like the Michigan House Democrats?!

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

How true....

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I agree the less time Democrats get together plotting their next move the better off we are. This young lady is great. Very Happy
Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:56 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Twotap aren't you a big lib??

quote:
twotap schreef:
I agree the less time Democrats get together plotting their next move the better off we are. This young lady is great. Very Happy

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:56 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

It's probably not all just the liberal democrats. Republicans also probably help pass some of the 200-1000+ laws or so per year.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2007-2008/publicacttable/pdf/2007-PAT.pdf

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2005-2006/publicacttable/pdf/2006-PAT.pdf

We would probably be best off if the Michigan legislature was only in session a month out of the year and only spent it's time working on the budget. We should have at least 10,000 laws on the books by now. I think that's enough.

No Republicans voted against the ethanol bill which is basically a waste of taxpayers dollars.

In Flint our ordinances are thicker than a phone book. In Flint we even currently violate state law and the U.S. Constitution but that's not surprising when you have so many rules and regulations.
Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:27 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Go to a Council meeting & ask them to enforce ordinances already on the books & they act like they've never heard of such a thing.
Got a problem? Pass a new law. Problem solved.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I'm not sure if the council or administration is even familiar with all the ordinances on the books.

In the 4th ward there was a business (jobs) almost shut down because of some parking lot ordinance. They guy had to pay an extra $500 or so in money plus time + aggravation to get a variance.

I went down to see the clerk and read the income tax ordinance to see why I was getting fined interest even though I paid my income tax and when I saw the 1,000 or so pages of ordinances it was clear to me.
Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:03 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:
I'm not sure if the council or administration is even familiar with all the ordinances on the books.
Everyone on the council should have read all the charter and ordinances--should be a requirement to hold an elected office.
quote:
Adam schreef:
I went down to see the clerk and read the income tax ordinance to see why I was getting fined interest even though I paid my income tax and when I saw the 1,000 or so pages of ordinances it was clear to me.
Why were you being fined interest?
Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:42 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

If you pay the Flint city income tax right after you get your W-2 forms and B-4 April 15th you get fined. You're supposed to make quarterly estimated payments I guess according to the stupid ordinance. It's easier for me to just pay the $20 or so fine than to deal with the quarterly payment rules.
Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:36 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Everyone on the council should have read all the charter and ordinances--should be a requirement to hold an elected office.

Although Flint "only" has a thousand or so pages of laws and ordinances ideally it would probably be good if Flint's elected leaders were also familiar with state and federal laws but that is completely impossible. The no child left behind act alone is around a 1000 pages.

The average U.S. citizen probably doesn't understand the constitution let alone all the hunders of thousands if not million pages of laws we are under most of which are probably unconstitutional.
Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:41 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Adam if you don't want to pay city income tax don't, Hell I don't pay Flint city income tax and I live in the city. I haven't paid them for 9 years..lol

quote:
Adam schreef:
If you pay the Flint city income tax right after you get your W-2 forms and B-4 April 15th you get fined. You're supposed to make quarterly estimated payments I guess according to the stupid ordinance. It's easier for me to just pay the $20 or so fine than to deal with the quarterly payment rules.

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:00 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam if you don't want to pay city income tax don't, Hell I don't pay Flint city income tax and I live in the city. I haven't paid them for 9 years..lol

You dont support financially the city you cheerlead for. Shame.
Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:05 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
You dont support financially the city you cheerlead for. Shame.

That's the liberal way. Let the government take care of everyone....on somebody else's dime.
Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:55 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: