FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Citizens Service Bureau DONE!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

From the Journal's web page......
Mayor Don Williamson disbands Flint police Citizens Service Bureau, says more changes coming Friday
by Bryn Mickle | The Flint Journal
Thursday March 27, 2008, 8:51 PM

FLINT, Michigan -- The city's police Citizen Services Bureau is gone and more changes are on the way.

Mayor Don Williamson on Thursday announced he has disbanded the bureau and returned its major and three inspectors to their former duties as patrol officers.

He called the move just the first step and said he will announce more moves on Friday to address what he called a "major shortfall" in expected revenues.

City police officers anxiously awaited Friday's announcement as rumors swirled that Williamson would demote upward of 30 supervisors to patrol positions.

Police officers union President Keith Speer said the mayor assured him two months ago that no officers would be laid off.

"I'm taking him at his word," said Speer.

Williamson declined to discuss specifics until a planned 10 a.m. announcement.
The decision to disband the bureau comes amid uncertainty about the city's financial status.

Budgeted at $500,000 a year, the bureau focused on community services and had been derided by some as a waste of money at a time when the city has made cuts to offset what was a projected $4-million deficit.

Others, like Flint resident Alvin Reid, are disappointed and said the bureau brought citizens together.

But Reid understands the need to put more officers on patrol.

"(The mayor's) got to do what he's got to do," said Reid. "The residents are going to have to step up to the plate."

Williamson lauded the bureau's work with block clubs and said the "experiment is an out-and-out success."

The bureau was credited with coordinated block clubs, running gun buybacks and working with residents at police mini-stations.

The unit was not, however, without controversy.

Staffed by five officers handpicked by the mayor in December 2006, the bureau prompted a wave of reverse-discrimination lawsuits from officers in the department and labor grievances.

The bureau was also hit with controversy when one of its inspectors gave up his badge and was sent to jail for having sex at one of the mini-stations.

Another inspector has come under scrutiny for off-duty security work and his home was searched by federal agents last month.

Critics complained that the bureau's staff did not answer 911 calls and were among the highest paid in the department.

With the bureau disbanded, the major and inspectors return to their old pay rates and will function as regular officers.

That doesn't sit well with the city's Afro-American Police League, which has complained Flint police don't have enough minorities in leadership positions.

Four of the five officers Williamson chose for the group were black.

"Anytime our members are demoted, it's a huge loss," said AAPL president Karl Petrich.

Williamson said the city is working to reach a point where the bureau could return as a permanent fixture with 10 officers.

But next time, said Williamson, the bureau spots will be posted and available to qualified officers.

Speer is just pleased to have four more police officers back on patrol.

"We're happy to get as many warm bodies on the street as we can," said Speer.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:17 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

How much of our tax funded community policing budget was spent on inspectors rather than regular community policing?

Same tasks at higher pay.

RAP

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:14 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Since the inspectors were paid a flat salary with no benefits, and they came from the ranks of the police department to start with, I'd like to know how their pay as inspectors compared to their total salary and benefit package as police officers. This is moot now, but many people weren't aware the inspectors lost their benefits as well as union membership.

I'm waiting to see what happens to the mini-stations, and whether any police officers show up at community watch and block club meetings. If we don't have this support we need to speak up for the Neighborhood Police millage we're paying.
Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:00 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

We'll find out Tuesday at the 10am Northside Ministation meeting.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

OOSL2, if you think they lost all their benefits you are sadly mistaken. The inspectors maintained all of their benefits and their union status. An administrative law judge for the Michigan Employment Relations Commission ruled that they didn't belong in the patrol union, but the City refused to discontinue witholding union dues. The inspectors continued to pay union dues and receive representation. Over and above that the inspectors received many additional perks, most notably the take home Tahoes. So in reality the costs of the inspectors was much higher than previously presented. This shouldn't come as a suprise to anyone. The mayor hasn't uttered a word of truth since he was elected the first time.
Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:37 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Bossman schreef:
OOSL2, if you think they lost all their benefits you are sadly mistaken. The inspectors maintained all of their benefits and their union status. An administrative law judge for the Michigan Employment Relations Commission ruled that they didn't belong in the patrol union, but the City refused to discontinue witholding union dues. The inspectors continued to pay union dues and receive representation. Over and above that the inspectors received many additional perks, most notably the take home Tahoes.
Bossman, apologies if I've stated mistaken information. Do you by chance have a reference link for the MERC ruling? I couldn't find it. I'd still like to know how the inspector's pay (and benefits) compared to their total salary and benefit package as police officers.

Was the inspector who was fired recently represented by the union?

I think inspectors driving the Tahoes home is being blown out of proportion. Don't they pay for their own gas when they do that? Especially, since Tahoes have been seen parked in private residence drives of other police officers here in the city.
Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:48 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

OOSL2, I don't know how to find a link to the MERC ruling, it was in Detroit, the officers union filed for a unit clarification and the union and the city reached an agreement which was stipulated to by the ALJ. It was like the beginning or middle of October.
As far as pay difference and benefit packages it is simple. Nothing changed except that they made about 30K more a year in pay.
As far as the Tahoes, no they don't pay for their own gas. The city pump behind the station fills them up whenever necessary, and one of them lives in Clarkston. The math is simple. HUGE waste of taxpayers dollars to replicate the efforts of the COPS program.
Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:48 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: