FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Michael Moore is vindicated again!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

March 28th, 2008 1:40 pm
Moore prevails in suit brought by veteran

Record-Eagle

TRAVERSE CITY -- The decision is exactly what Michael Moore expected.

The filmmaker and part-time northern Michigan resident has never lost a lawsuit, he said, and a recent unanimous federal appeals court ruling that he did not defame an Iraq war veteran featured in his documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" came as no surprise.

"The only thing about it that might be surprising is it was a decision by three Republican-appointed judges ... and they sided with me," Moore said Thursday. "After 17 years of people disagreeing with me politically and suing me they should get the message. If it is in a film of mine, it is true."

The 1st Circuit Court of Appeals ruled a federal judge was correct to throw out Sgt. Peter Damon's lawsuit against Moore, who used a clip from a television interview without Damon's permission.

The National Guardsman from Middleborough, Mass., alleged he was humiliated and emotionally distressed due to his appearance in Moore's scathing 2004 documentary that criticized the Bush administration and the war in Iraq.

But an appeals court judge said while she can understand Damon's anger, the clip could not reasonably be construed as defamatory.

Judge Aida Delgado-Colon said, "There is no reason to believe that a reasonable member of the military or veteran community would conclude that Damon's appearance in the documentary conveyed a defamatory meaning, and therefore lowered his reputation or subjected him to scorn, hatred, ridicule or contempt in that community."

Two members of the three-judge panel were appointed by President Bush.

"The thing that gets lost in all this is the point that part of the film was making is the soldiers weren't being treated well at Walter Reed hospital," Moore said. "It took the mainstream media until last year to cover this story."

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Ambush "journalism" at it's finest.
Moore is a worthless slug who has done nothing for the city he claims to love.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:58 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ponycar
F L I N T O I D

Not everything in Michael Moores movies is the truth. At the beginning of Roger & Me, He says that Don Knotts was from Flint. Don Knotts never lived in Flint, and was born on West Virginia. He said Casey Kasem was from Flint too. Casey Kasem was from Detroit.

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:20 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

And Moore was from Davison. I have yet to figure out just what, exactly, he's done for Flint.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:51 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ponycar schreef:
Not everything in Michael Moores movies is the truth. At the beginning of Roger & Me, He says that Don Knotts was from Flint. Don Knotts never lived in Flint, and was born on West Virginia. He said Casey Kasem was from Flint too. Casey Kasem was from Detroit.

You're wrong, Ponycar. Moore said that Don Knotts' wife was from Flint. She was born Loralee Czuchna. Check out http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/community/index.ssf/2007/12/loralee_knotts_howard_murad.html
In the same sentence, Moore also mentioned the woman who married the great conductor Zubin Mehta. She was actress Nancy Kovack. Her Wikipedia article is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Kovack
As for Casey Kasem, he worked in Flint long before AT40 at WAMM (now WFLT).

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:27 pm 
federales1
F L I N T O I D

Michael Moore has done for Flint exactly....... Nothing. He's a hanger on that should have fallen off. It's no big deal to know that his ol lady preferred something different.
Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:47 pm 
federales1
F L I N T O I D

Michael Moore has done for Flint exactly....... Nothing. He's a hanger on that should have fallen off. It's no big deal to know that his ol lady preferred something different.
Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:49 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

quote:
federales1 schreef:
...It's no big deal to know that his ol lady preferred something different.

Explain please about Kathleen Glynn Moore.

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:54 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

We were in Florida a few years back when a guy came walking down the beach and asked how the surf fishing was going. After talkinga bit he said he was from Canada and I told him we were from Mi. He asked me if I lived anywhere near Flint and I told him east of there. He than said is Flint as bad as its portrayed and I replied its seen better days for sure. I asked him how he knew about Flint and he said he had watched Michael Moores movie but couldnt believe it was actually that bad. Ya the old fact twister Mike has done a lot for Flint thats for sure. You fans of his should be proud. Laughing
Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:58 am 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
We were in Florida a few years back when a guy came walking down the beach and asked how the surf fishing was going. After talkinga bit he said he was from Canada and I told him we were from Mi. He asked me if I lived anywhere near Flint and I told him east of there. He than said is Flint as bad as its portrayed and I replied its seen better days for sure. I asked him how he knew about Flint and he said he had watched Michael Moores movie but couldnt believe it was actually that bad. Ya the old fact twister Mike has done a lot for Flint thats for sure. You fans of his should be proud. Laughing

Just so I understand this right. The right-leaning posters on this thread:

a.) Blame the effect (Moore), not the cause (GM)
b.) Expect handouts from Moore, but are fine with tax breaks, brown field abandonment blessings, parades, etc. for GM
c.) Generally decry the very principle of handouts, unless it comes from somebody they revile (Moore) and/or benefits somebody they worship (Big Auto)

Besides, how do you know Moore has 'done nothing for this city?' True philanthropy is often anonymous. And not all philanthropy is quantifiable in cash.
Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:56 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Wow once again you have proven you can find things in posts that are not there. I guess the guy from Canada got mikes movie all wrong. Laughing Maybe Mikes next extrandagasma will show the US auto industry how they can continue business as usual while sustaining billion dollar losses. Or perhaps you have a idea you could send him or them since you lefties seem to have an answer for just about everything. Laughing

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:12 am 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Or perhaps you have a idea you could send him or them since you lefties seem to have an answer for just about everything. Laughing

Yeah, those pesky leftists and their "ideas." Why can't they just stick to the tried and true shouting match script and defend the status quo like us macho conservatives?

But since you asked:

Link
Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:47 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/player.jhtml?ml_video=91140&is_large=true
Ya them lefties have all the answers as long as they dont get infringed. Laughing
Maybe Mike will let em erect some at his million dollar digs on torch lake. Ted Kennedy the man from Nantucket Laughing Laughing

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:09 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

When he buys a home in Flint, the city he claims to love, and moves hos film "festival" here, I'll start thinking he cares. Buy the Capital theater, renovate it & hold the festival there. Use his connections to do more filming here. Basically, put his money where his mouth is.
As far as GM goes, they made a business decision to leave Flint, based partly on the militancy of the unions here. That, and the fact that the schools can't seem to graduate people with the knowledge and work ethic needed in today's industry. Manufacturing has gone hi-tech, and good math skills are necessary to operate today's machines. Work ethic is another big factor. Too many people today seem to feel they're owed a paycheck, whether they do any actual work or not.

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:28 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Do you actually think he is going to move to Flint?? First you guys hate him and talk shit about him, but you want him to move here? Thats hypocritical.

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
When he buys a home in Flint, the city he claims to love, and moves hos film "festival" here, I'll start thinking he cares. Buy the Capital theater, renovate it & hold the festival there. Use his connections to do more filming here. Basically, put his money where his mouth is.
As far as GM goes, they made a business decision to leave Flint, based partly on the militancy of the unions here. That, and the fact that the schools can't seem to graduate people with the knowledge and work ethic needed in today's industry. Manufacturing has gone hi-tech, and good math skills are necessary to operate today's machines. Work ethic is another big factor. Too many people today seem to feel they're owed a paycheck, whether they do any actual work or not.

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: