FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint #190 out of 200 for Business and Careers

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/1/bestplaces08_Best-Places-For-Business-And-Careers_Rank_8.html

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/1/bestplaces08_Flint-MI_2581.html
(Out of 200 cities)
Colleges 108
Cost of Doing Business 95
Cost Of Living 30
Crime Rate 155
Culture & Leisure 99
Educational Attainment 183
Income Growth 137
Job Growth 198
Net Migration 185
Overall 190
Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:06 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Ah yes. Thanks for reminding me why I returned to this god-forsaken industrial wasteland...
Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:34 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I don't give much thought to these kind of things, its just someones opinion... Plus they try to sell magazines, so the jucier the better.

quote:
Adam schreef:
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/1/bestplaces08_Best-Places-For-Business-And-Careers_Rank_8.html

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/1/bestplaces08_Flint-MI_2581.html
(Out of 200 cities)
Colleges 108
Cost of Doing Business 95
Cost Of Living 30
Crime Rate 155
Culture & Leisure 99
Educational Attainment 183
Income Growth 137
Job Growth 198
Net Migration 185
Overall 190

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
I don't give much thought to these kind of things, its just someones opinion... Plus they try to sell magazines, so the jucier the better.

This coming from a rabid fan of Mike Moore thats hillarious. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:34 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Well I've never been crazy about all the rankings and ratings on EVERYTHING, and the US News & World Report college and university rankings have been a sore spot with me forever. At various times I have gone to a top 10 university down to a top 20 university.

The criteria are completely subjective, as is the rating scale (and the participants, for that matter).

However, that's not to say that rankings have no meaning. I can draw a very clear conclusion from, say, having the most murders or the highest foreclosure rate. It's a little different with something like this, as they're building a model with lots of factors -- some relevant, some not.

Moreoever, what's the friggin point of it? Like anyone just chooses the city they want to go live in? (Very few, I suspect.) Most of us are constrained by where we can find work or afford to live or where our kids/exes/family lives. Oh wow, Denver is number 10, I think I'm going to move there! Oops, until next year's survey, when Denver sinks to number 75.

I don't need them to tell me Flint is 190/200 to know that the market SUCKS HERE.
Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:34 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

twotap its okay to show your love for Michael Moore, stop hiding it...
Smile Razz

quote:
twotap schreef:

quote:

This coming from a rabid fan of Mike Moore thats hillarious. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:57 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Ya your right their is something about the doughboy thats irresistable. Laughing

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:50 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I was thinking more along the line of the Sta-Puft marshmallow man.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Flint is absolutely #1 for the reliability of its drug dealers, though. That could draw a crowd. We should advertise it.
Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:11 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Hey maybe "High Times" will do a survey and give Flint the recognition it so rightly deserves.

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:31 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Why do people want to confuse facts and analysis with Opinion?

These are opinion poles.

When people take statistical data and apply it in a scale. People in Flint want to Burn the report instead of facing it's problems and working to solve them. You never solve a problem by ignoring it. Or by claiming it's not really there.

And if I'm reading this particular report correctly. It is Bias in FAVOR of FLint. Using a Metro Population of almost three times more than we really have. So if they are actually using the actual numbers with a population three times more than we really have. That is being more than generous to Flint. Things are much worse than this report is revealing.

Much of the Number errors are coming from the census department at the Federal Level. They recently changed the way their data base reports Flint. It’s been including the Genesee County area. Hopefully they will fix it. But, I noticed this about two months ago. You have to dig deeper to get the facts! My guess is they outsourced this and thought they could make things better by ignoring the facts and combining the information with another area. But, the reasons why I really don’t know. Just speculating. Then a big outfit like Forbes comes along and makes determinations on when Government tells them. Instead of verifying their facts. Flint has never had a Metro Area Population: 441,000 Best estimate was 225,000 in the 70’s.
Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Depends on how you consider a "metro area", I suppose.

Genesee County pop is roughly 445,000.
Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:37 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: