FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Stabenow's husband paid prostitute in sting

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Thomas Athans, the husband of U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow and cofounder of a liberal talk radio network, told Troy police detectives that he paid a prostitute $150 for sex at a Troy hotel in late February, according to a police report obtained Wednesday by the Free Press under the Freedom of Information Act.

Athans, 46, was not arrested or charged, but agreed to fully cooperate with police in their investigation of Internet-based prostitution at hotels in the city, according to the report. Athans was pulled over by police on I-75 minutes after leaving the Residence Inn on Livernois, just east of I-75 and south of Big Beaver, the evening of Feb. 26. He was driving a Cadillac DeVille registered jointly to him and Stabenow at their address in Lansing.

He was ticketed for driving on a suspended license. When questioned during the stop, he acknowledged he had been at the hotel with a woman he met on the Internet. On further questioning, he acknowledged he had paid the woman $150 for sex.

“This is very disturbing and serious. Obviously it’s a deeply difficult and personal matter,” Sen. Debbie Stabenow said in an official statement issued late this morning, in response to the Free Press story.

Athans and Stabenow, a U.S. senator since 2001, were married in 2003. Stabenow did not show up for a news conference this morning at the Capitol.

"He was very cooperative. He didn’t tell officers who he was. He did not ask for any special treatment,” said Lt. Gerard Scherlinck, the information officer for the Troy Police.

Police arrested, Alycia Martin, 20, of Westland in the hotel room. She was charged with prostitution. Police confiscated a cell phone, a laptop and $431. She told police she had only been working as a prostitute for about a week and didn’t know how many men had visited her the day she was arrested, according to the report.

The room Martin was in was an 800-square-foot, two-story penthouse suite.

Police went to the hotel after a detective working on Internet-based prostitution at hotels in the city came across a solicitation for sex on a Web site, backdoor.com. Plainclothes detectives went to the hotel and set up a surveillance and watched Athans drive up, go inside and then leave about 15 minutes later.

Athans is a radio producer who’s spent the past several years trying to launch liberal talk shows that could counter popular conservative radio programming.

Before starting his current firm TalkUSA Radio in 2006, Athans was the head of syndicated programming at Air America, the liberal network that declared bankruptcy that year. TalkUSA launched one syndicated talk show last year.

Athans has strong ties to Democratic Party officials and liberal activists; Sen. Hillary Clinton publicly acknowledged him during her speech in Detroit last month.

According to the Washington Post, Clinton and other senators attended a fund-raiser in 2004 for Athans’ previous network, Democracy Radio, which raised $1.8 million to launch the talk show of Ed Schultz. Athans dissolved Democracy Radio in May 2006.

He was also an Oxford Village council member.

Stabenow, 57, has been a major figure in Michigan politics for several decades. She has served in the Legislature, in the U.S. House and in 2000 upset incumbent Republican Spencer Abraham. In 1994, she lost a race for governor.

Staff writers Dawson Bell, Gina Damron and Justin Hyde contributed to this report.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080402/NEWS06/80402038
Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:15 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

heh heh heh...he said just south of Big Beaver.
Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:17 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Good one FC big beaver
Laughing Laughing Maybe he read the post on the forum about being born 10 years too early and missing the sexual revolution. Ya need to move this to the political side. Laughing

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:40 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

The guy who paid for sex is not arrested yet the one giving the sex is. Something wrong with this picture. I'm certainly glad they gave the website address and sure their hits went through the roof.Laughing

Richard

This is what I found at backdoor.com.

http://www.backdoor.com/
Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:06 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I see there's no mention of her party affiliation. Normal when a Dim's involved.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

No mention of Leftwing either like in Rightwing Talk show host. Ill say one thing he sure put his backing behind loss causes. Air America HA Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:17 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., left, and her husband Thomas Athans
Sen. Stabenow’s husband admits sex with prostitute

TROY, Mich. (AP) — The husband of U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow told police he used the Internet to make a date with a prostitute and paid her $150 for sex at a hotel, according to a police report.
http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/17224444.html

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Perhaps he should be commended for being more fiscally responsible than Governor Spitzer?

Or chastised for balancing his budget on the back of the working class?
Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:12 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//080402/480/fabea096a4b14c4caa08e2e2b2170e98/
Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:29 pm 
rusty
F L I N T O I D

At least he picked up a hot hooker.

And, best of all, Big Beaver Road is at Exit 69!

Thank you! Tip your waitstaff! I'll be here all week!
Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:57 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I-69 one of my favorite routes. Laughing

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:01 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Do I sense a "Fabio Moment"? Smile

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:09 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Why has the Fab been out turning tricks lately? Laughing

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:18 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Maybe on the women's casting couches? Dunno, sheerly speculation of course.

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:24 am 
Smakutus
F L I N T O I D

At least it was with a chick.. Cool

Jeff
Post Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:40 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: