FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Rising prison population an undeclared national crisis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Druid
F L I N T O I D

I don't think that prisoners should be intentionally or systematically "humiliated." Every human being has a right to be treated with dignity. Yes, even those who didn't afford their victims such consideration.
Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:47 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Demeralda,
I'd have to disagree.

100 degree heat. People live in it everyday! In other parts of the World.

If you where to say they lived in 100 degree heat without any shade, without any water, were forced to dig ditches in that hot sun. Sure. Now you've stepped over the line and that could be considered cruel.

But, just because it's 100 degree's doesn't mean it's cruel. Our guys here where I work Still install Tires, Still change Oil, Still work on cars in Plus 100 degree summer heat.

From what I remmember, the inmates do have bed rolls, blankets, and sleep in tents to keep them out of the elements.

I don't see anything particularly Cruel. Maybe a RUFF, maybe Difficult, Maybe hard! But, not cruel.

As far as food. has anyone died of Starvation? I'm sure we would have heard about that by now if it had?

It to me and others here on this board see that it is OBVIOUS that they have adequate shelter and addiquate food. Maybe not the most comfortable or even the BEST! But it is adequate. That's were we are at.
Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Druid
F L I N T O I D

has anyone died of Starvation?

Is this where we set the bar????
Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:52 pm 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Druid schreef:
has anyone died of Starvation?

Is this where we set the bar????

Am afraid it's lower:

The Death Of Timothy Souders

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/08/60minutes/main2448074.shtml
Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:14 pm 
Druid
F L I N T O I D

Oh my goodness - I saw that episode and it literally made me sick. For a man to die of THIRST while in a U.S. prison is simply SHAMEFUL. Horrible.
Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:38 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

And I swore I wouldn't come back today.

Here's an even better point for you haters:

At issue in the case are the rights of pretrial detainees — prisoners awaiting trial for crimes they may or may not have committed . Such detainees now make up about 70 percent of the population of Joe Arpaio's lockups, according to the 2007 Performance Report for the county jails.

Here's another tidbit:

New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Houston, for example, collectively housed more than 61,000 inmates per day last year. From 2004 through November of this year, these same county jails had a combined 43 prison-conditions lawsuits filed against them in federal courts.

In the very same three-year time frame, despite housing a mere 9,200 prisoners per day, Sheriff Arpaio was the target of a staggering 2,150 lawsuits in U.S. District Court and hundreds more in Maricopa County courts.

With a fraction of the inmate population, Arpaio has had 50 times as many lawsuits as the New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Houston jail systems combined.

He's hurting his own taxpayers more than he's helping them. For a fuller description of his cruelty and mismanagement:

http://www.hispanic.cc/injustices_against_hispanics,_joe_arpaio_has_cost_taxpayers_$41_million.htm
Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:41 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

And the folks in Arizona just keep reelecting Sheriff Joe. He must be doing something they agree with. Oh ya funny you mentioned "haters since you were the one who introduced "Facist" into the thread when referring to an elected law enforcement officer. Sounds like we arent the only ones spewing a little hatred of course we are venting ours towards rapists, muggers and such.

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:12 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
With a fraction of the inmate population, Arpaio has had 50 times as many lawsuits as the New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Houston jail systems combined.

He's hurting his own taxpayers more than he's helping them. For a fuller description of his cruelty and mismanagement:

So are you trying to say that he hould not do the job the way he and his constituants feel is best because they may get sued?
Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Demeralda:

I have done a little bit of research over the last couple of days before posting and you know what? This guy is a full-fledged fruitcake!!!!

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:37 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Amen, sister! I think he just gets off on it, personally.

The point for you, Ted, is that he's violating people's rights, and the big "cost savings" he claims he's getting for people are being eaten up by lawsuits. That's not very cost effective -- nor very humane (or legal).
Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:42 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:

You may have hit on something there. A bunch of hairy, sweaty , smelly felons lounging around in pink undies while munching on green bologna sandwhichs is pretty hot. Laughing

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:30 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I must be completely missing it. Because i don't see how they have the same rights we do as Law abiding Citizens.

What exact Freedom do they not have. And isn't that was jail is? A loss of your freedoms? If you cannot live in a civilized society under that society's Laws. You lose your freedom?
Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:46 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:

quote:

You may have hit on something there. A bunch of hairy, sweaty , smelly felons lounging around in pink undies while munching on green bologna sandwhichs is pretty hot. Laughing

Well, by your description, I would say that he is definitely NOT color blind and his nose works properly, maybe even too well!!! Smile

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:48 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
I must be completely missing it. Because i don't see how they have the same rights we do as Law abiding Citizens.

What exact Freedom do they not have. And isn't that was jail is? A loss of your freedoms? If you cannot live in a civilized society under that society's Laws. You lose your freedom?

Please look at it this way. Does doing something wrong negate your right to medical treatment to live, when you are sentenced to jail? No. Because once your time is up you have paid your debt to society. Of course this is in a Utopian society. But, more or less, this does not negate your right to be treated humanely.

Granted different geographic locations have their own sense of humane treatment, but his treatment takes the cake. Plus this is an election year for him, so reports from another area have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:51 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Just wait till he gets in gear on this project. The whining will really begin. Crying or Very sad

.Sheriff Joe Arpaio Asked by Phoenix Area Small Business Owners and Residents to Tackle Street Crime Crisis
Phoenix Citizen Taxpayers Seek Law Enforcement Solution to Protect Homes, Businesses, Customers, Property & Employees

(Phoenix, AZ) - Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has been asked to bring a law enforcement solution to the growing street crime crisis along Phoenix’s Thomas Road business district and neighboring residential areas by area small business owners and homeowners. Judicial Watch, the public interest group that investigates and prosecutes government corruption, is assisting the businesses and home owners by promoting a law-and-order solution to the community street crime problem.

Faced with a growing criminal element engaged in trespass, solicitation, loitering, drug dealing, sexual harassment, public urination and defecation and other street crime, small businesses have had to bear additional costly business expenses to employ off-duty sheriff’s deputies for protection. “Day laborers,” the vast majority of whom are illegal aliens, have been often involved in area street crime issues. Phoenix Police routinely ignore the street crime problem, responding very selectively to only the most egregious crimes that simply cannot be ignored due to violence or loss of property. The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office is the only law enforcement agency enforcing both federal and state immigration laws in Arizona. The community letter reads in part:

“We call upon Sheriff Arpaio to restore law and order to this area. The policies and practices of the Phoenix Police Department are damaging our businesses, driving down home values and destroying our community. We’re tired of the political double-talk and excuses. We’re tired of being harassed and victimized. Sheriff Arpaio needs to take strong action to restore safety to our community.”

Judicial Watch has worked with the local community and Sheriff Arpaio in Phoenix for several months on the illegal immigration issue. Judicial Watch is also considering a lawsuit involving a Phoenix Police sanctuary policy (Operations Order 1.4.3), which illegally prevents Phoenix police officers from communicating with federal immigration authorities. (Under pressure from Judicial Watch, Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon renounced his previous support for this sanctuary policy.)

“The Phoenix business community is fed up with a lack of law enforcement in their community. Sheriff Arpaio has been responsive in the past to the community’s concerns about illegal immigration, so we are confident he’ll pay attention to this latest plea for help,” stated Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton.

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:07 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: