FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Obama/Gore/Clinton

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Obama wants Gore on his team
Posted: 05:30 PM ET

Obama said Wednesday he wants Gore for his administration.
(CNN) — Al Gore has a spot in a potential Barack Obama administration, the Illinois senator said Wednesday.

Asked at a campaign event if he'd consider Gore for his cabinet, Obama immediately said he would.

" I will make a commitment that Al Gore will be at the table and play a central part in us figuring out how we solve this [climate change] problem," Obama said.

Obama also said he talks with the former vice president on a "regular basis," and often consults with him on climate change issues.

Could Gore serve alongside Bill Clinton in an Obama administration? Last November, the Illinois senator said he'd offer the former president a job "in a second."

"There are few more talented people [than Clinton]," Obama said then.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/04/02/obama-wants-gore-on-his-team/
Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:13 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Obama also said he talks with the former vice president on a "regular basis," and often consults with him on climate change issues.

oh ya now Gore is a climate change expert. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:29 pm 
Druid
F L I N T O I D

I bet Gore knows more about climate change than the vast majority of people on the planet. He may not be an environmental scientist, but he researched it enough to make a highly regarded film and win the Nobel Peace Prize.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:44 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Yup. That's why the monthly utility bills for his Tennessee mansion are higher than my annual bill. His "film" is a Powerpoint presentation containing enough factual errors that a judge in England required schools to point them out when they showed the thing to students. The Nobel Peace Prize is about as relevant as an Academy Award: it's a political correctness award.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Nobel Peace Prize.
Yup him Arafat, And of course flaming tires around the neck Mandella.Rolling Eyes

AL Gores highly regarded film has a few misspeaks .
Al Gore told there are nine inconvienient truths in his film
Not everything Al Gore says in his documentary is a proven fact

Nico Hines
A High Court judge today ruled that An Inconvenient Truth can be distributed to every school in the country but only if it comes with a note explaining nine scientific errors in Al Gore’s Oscar-winning film.

The Government had pledged to send thousands of copies of the film to schools across the country, but a Kent father challenged that policy saying it would “brainwash” children.

A judge was asked to adjudicate between Stewart Dimmock and the Department of Children, Schools and Families. Mr Justice Burton ruled that the film could be sent to schools, but only if it was accompanied by new guidlines to balance the former US vice-president’s “one-sided” views

The judge said some of the errors were made in “the context of alarmism and exaggeration” in order to support Mr Gore’s thesis on global warming.

He said that while the film was dramatic and highly professional, it formed part the ex-politician’s global crusade on climate change and not all the claims were supported by the current mainstream scientific consensus.

He went on to list those errors:

Error one

Al Gore: A sea-level rise of up to 20 feet would be caused by melting of either West Antarctica or Greenland “in the near future”.

The judge’s finding: “This is distinctly alarmist and part of Mr Gore’s ”wake-up call“. It was common ground that if Greenland melted it would release this amount of water - “but only after, and over, millennia.”

Error two

Gore: Low-lying inhabited Pacific atolls are already “being inundated because of anthropogenic global warming.”

Judge: There was no evidence of any evacuation having yet happened.

Error three

Gore: The documentary described global warming potentially “shutting down the Ocean Conveyor” - the process by which the Gulf Stream is carried over the North Atlantic to western Europe.

Judge: According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), it was “very unlikely” it would be shut down, though it might slow down.

Error four

Gore: He asserted - by ridiculing the opposite view - that two graphs, one plotting a rise in C02 and the other the rise in temperature over a period of 650,000 years, showed “an exact fit”.

Judge: Although there was general scientific agreement that there was a connection, “the two graphs do not establish what Mr Gore asserts”.

Error five

Gore: The disappearance of snow on Mt Kilimanjaro was expressly attributable to global warming.

Judge: This “specifically impressed” David Miliband, the Environment Secretary, but the scientific consensus was that it cannot be established that the recession of snows on Mt Kilimanjaro is mainly attributable to human-induced climate change.

Error six

Gore: The drying up of Lake Chad was used in the film as a prime example of a catastrophic result of global warming, said the judge.

Judge: “It is generally accepted that the evidence remains insufficient to establish such an attribution. It is apparently considered to be far more likely to result from other factors, such as population increase and over-grazing, and regional climate variability.”

Error seven

Gore: Hurricane Katrina and the consequent devastation in New Orleans to global warming.

Judge: There is “insufficient evidence to show that”.

Error eight

Gore: Referred to a new scientific study showing that, for the first time, polar bears were being found that had actually drowned “swimming long distances - up to 60 miles - to find the ice”.

Judge: “The only scientific study that either side before me can find is one which indicates that four polar bears have recently been found drowned because of a storm." That was not to say there might not in future be drowning-related deaths of bears if the trend of regression of pack ice continued - “but it plainly does not support Mr Gore’s description”.

Error nine

Gore: Coral reefs all over the world were bleaching because of global warming and other factors.

Judge: The IPCC had reported that, if temperatures were to rise by 1-3 degrees centigrade, there would be increased coral bleaching and mortality, unless the coral could adapt. But separating the impacts of stresses due to climate change from other stresses, such as over-fishing, and pollution was difficult.

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:45 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Whoopdie f'ing doo. You guys have to harp on the oldest, molidest news in the world.

9 facts out of what, a few hundred? As Druid put it, he's not a scientist, nor did he present himself as the world's leading expert.

As if you *CARE* what some limey says about it? You think the English are stupid anyway!

So his mansion has high utility bills. Well, duh, it's big. I also understand that he offsets that by donating to green causes and buying green energy (not to mention the endless hours he has donated to educating on the subject). But that counts for nothing, right? Because he has a big utility bill?

"So it seems that Al and Tipper (and staff, and required security, and visiting family, and frequent guests) use less juice for space than is average in their area. And that’s not even to mention the fact that the Gores pay $5,893 extra per year to their utility to purchase green electricity born of solar, wind, and methane. You can criticize the man’s castle, call it excessive, but he’s a former Veep with security requirements well beyond “average” and a number of businesses and charities operating out of his home. Behind the numbers, there’s a lot less hot air."

PS - He does have a ZERO CARBON FOOTPRINT.

By your logic, the fact that Martin Luther King had extra marital affairs negates any "honest" work he did in his life... after all, he didn't practice what he preached, did he?

Whatever.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:15 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
limey
???? Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:36 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

1lim·ey
Pronunciation: \ˈlī-mē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural limeys
Usage: often capitalized
Etymology: lime-juicer + 4-y
Date: 1918
1slang : a British sailor
2slang : englishman
Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:40 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I knew what it meant hell us rightwingers know all them slang terms for them thar foreigners who talk and look differnt than us. Laughing Ya know why the term limey sticks to a english sailor. Hint it has to do with a little seaward disease known a scurvy. Laughing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scurvy

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:28 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Were you aware that Al is at least part owner of the company he buys "carbon credits" from?
Want some "carbon Offsets" of your own?
http://freecarbonoffsets.com/genCert.do

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: