FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint City Councilman in County Jail

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Anyone know who it is? Anything surrounding the circumstances?
Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Where did you hear that?
Speculating on who it could be.......................

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Through the grapevine... I'm trying to find out who though....
Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Found out who it is... will be on the six o'clock news... apparently for roughing up his wife/girlfriend.... can't be arraigned until tomorrow so will be spending the night in the pokey.
Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:15 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Per Channel 12....
Gonzales
Domestic dispute with his wife, in city lockup. Mandatory 24 hour stay for domestics, probably arraigned tomorrow. Jackie Poplar said he should take a leave of absence, and: "I know he has a drinking problem and he needs to deal with that".

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/local&id=6064680

FLINT (WJRT) -- (04/06/0Cool--A Flint city councilman was arrested and taken to jail on Sunday.

According to Flint Mayor Don Williamson, City Councilman Ehren Gonzales was taken into police custody today.

Gonzales is an 8th Ward city councilman, first elected to office in 2005. He previously served on the Mott Community College Board of Trustees.
Police were called to Gonzales' home this morning. An eyewitness says the city councilman was placed in handcuffs and put into a patrol car.
Story continues below

Police at the scene say Gonzales was involved in a domestic dispute with his wife.

The councilman is still in the Flint city lock up because of the mandatory 24-hour stay for domestic violence. It is seen as a cooling off period.
Gonzales is being represented by well-known defense attorney Frank Manley who said, "Councilman Gonzales has a long and outstanding record of public service and we are looking forward to resolving this matter as quickly as possible so he may continue to serve his constituents."
Mayor Williamson added, "I'm very concerned about this because he's a very nice man. Let's just see what happens."
Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:06 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

I didn't catch the report at 6. Did they really quote Poplar syaing that Gonzalez has a drinking problem? I can't believe that they would report someting like that on the 6 o'clock news. It is mean-spirited for Poplar to say it. It is irresponsible and foolish for abc 12 to repeat it. Shame on both of them. (if this is true)
Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:37 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

They followed the quote with a copy of a police report where Gonzales was arrested after the police chased him down Corunna Rd at 70 mph drunk in 2002.
Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:48 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

I wonder if Randy Zimmerman, the old Uncommon Sense cartoonist, is following these postings...

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:30 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
squash schreef:
Did they really quote Poplar syaing that Gonzalez has a drinking problem? ...It is mean-spirited for Poplar to say it. It is irresponsible and foolish for abc 12 to repeat it. Shame on both of them. (if this is true)
I agree with you. Neither should a 2002 drinking and driving charge they reported be shown as current news. There was nothing to indicate in the news report that drinking had anything to do with the domestic dispute at 8:15 a.m. Sunday. Reporter Shannon Johnson said "Our cameras were rolling at 8:15 Sunday morning as Flint police came to the home of councilman Ehren Gonzales." Do they listen to police scanner or did someone tip them off? So much for "ABC 12 News - Your Trusted Source for News." See the video at abc12.com.

Sunday, April 06, 2008 | Updated 11:46 PM

Jackie Poplar is on the news video clips saying:

"Sad for Ehren because it's a sickness and Ehren is a sick man."

"He should maybe take a leave of absence -- because I'm aware that Mr Gonzales has a drinking problem."

"A hospital of some sort that he may need to check into to get his mental capacities together."
Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:57 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2008/04/flint_city_councilman_ehren_go.html

FLINT, Michigan -- City Councilman Ehren Gonzales was taken to the Flint city jail Sunday morning after a domestic dispute, police said.

Police would not release details of the incident, which is believed to have involved Gonzales and his wife.

Mayor Don Williamson confirmed Gonzales, the 8th Ward councilman, was arrested, but said he didn't know anything further abut the incident.

"Ehren Gonzales is a very nice person," he said. "I don't know enough about what happened, if anything," said Williamson.

Attorney Frank Manley, representing Gonzales, said his client was expected to be released from jail about 8 a.m. today.

He said Gonzales has an "outstanding record of public service and we look forward to putting this behind us."

At least one councilwoman is asking Gonzales to take a leave of absence.

"Councilman Gonzales needs some professional help because anytime you abuse anything, you need help," said Councilwoman Jackie Poplar.

In December 2006, Gonzales asked Poplar to resign after she was accused of coercing business owners to donate to a scholarship fund.

"I think he needs to take a leave of absence and get things straightened out," Poplar said. "I'm not going to do like he did to me. I'll leave it to his constituents to determine whether he leaves office permanently."

Gonzales, 36, was elected to represent the 8th Ward in a close race in 2005, defeating incumbent Lawrence B. Murphy by only 58 votes.

Since taking office, Gonzales largely has been considered an ally of Mayor Don Williamson.

Whether Gonzales resigns should be up to his constituents, said Councilman Scott Kincaid.

"It's a tragic situation, something Ehren will have to deal with," Kincaid said. "He answers to his constituents, not to us, so it's really up to him and his constituents to see what happens."

Gonzales is a former member of the Mott Community College Board of Trustees. He received his master's degree in business administration from the University of Michigan and a bachelor's degree from Michigan State University.

He works in Livonia as a purchasing analyst for Ford. and is the son of State Rep. Lee Gonzales, D-Flint Twp. Rep. Gonzales could not be reached for comment.

Councilman Sheldon Neeley also declined to comment until he'd heard more about the situation, while Councilwoman Sandy Hill said only that Gonzales "is a good person" and "I hope everything works out for him."
Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:01 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

No comment from Carolyn Sims?

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:05 am 
squash
F L I N T O I D

Guess it was Jackie's turn to swing the hatchett.

Congratulations Don Williamson, Sheldon Neely and Sandy Hill. The best thing to say when asked about this is exactly what they said. Whether they mean it or not.

No wonder the mayor bypasses council at every opportunity.

Great reporting too from the Journal and ABC 12. How do they justify reporting the crap she says? Horrible.
Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:30 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
squash schreef:
Guess it was Jackie's turn to swing the hatchett. *** Great reporting too from the Journal and ABC 12. How do they justify reporting the crap she says? Horrible.
Sheldon Neeley works for WJRT if that tells you anything.

"Councilman Sheldon Neeley also declined to comment until he'd heard more about the situation..." Source:
http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2008/04/flint_city_councilman_ehren_go.html

The difference between the stories about Gonzales and Poplar's was that Poplar's involve use of taxpayer dollars. Gonzales's story was on personal time and is a private matter.
Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:48 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: