FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Repealing a County Law/Resolution
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Anyone know anything about possibly repealing a county Law/Resolution?

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:39 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

County law? Can you be more specific? State statute, city or township ordinance? Other law or ordinance?
Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:08 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Sorry, can you tell that I am not a lawyer or don't play one on tv? Smile

To be more specific, an ordinance, the ambulance ordinance.

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:14 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Looks like your question may be moot for now. The ordinance isn't due to be instituted until after the first of the year, and in the meantime one or more of the ambulance companies has filed a lawsuit in Genesee County Circuit Court which has already been moved to the U.S. District Court. There are a number of articles at the FJ here online, but here's one that gives some detail:

Fenton Township motocross death stirs more questions about Genesee County ambulance system
Posted by Ron Fonger | The Flint Journal April 05, 2008 17:00PM
Categories: Community - Genesee County, Community: Fenton, Health

GENESEE COUNTY -- That long wait for an ambulance after a fatal dirt bike accident in Fenton Township last week will be investigated by the county Medical Control Authority.

And in the wake of the tragedy, two members of the county Board of Commissioners say they still want to move forward with a new ambulance system that would hold companies more responsible for their response times.

"It's a sad thing," county Commissioner Jamie Curtis, D-Burton, said of the slow response in getting an ambulance to Tyler Waller, 7.

The boy died of internal injuries after crashing his cycle at Fenton Indoor Motocross Monday.

"These are the reasons why the Board of Commissioners took this task on three years ago," Curtis said.

The wait -- from 19 to 22 minutes -- "may have played a role" in the death. "It may have played no role," but these are the problems in our system that need to be fixed. Our ordinance addresses these issues."

Adopted in December, the new county ordinance is designed to create a system in which the county contracts with one or more ambulance companies to handle transports in two separate zones, with built-in penalties when response times are too long.

The current system generally allows private ambulances to set up bases around the county and handle calls based on which company has the closest base to an emergency -- not based on its track record.

Regional EMS claims its ambulance made it to the Waller accident scene in less than 19 minutes -- more than twice as long as generally considered acceptable -- because the first rig it sent to the motocross track broke down.

An 8-minute response time is a standard that doctors and emergency workers say is important to meet because it gives them the best chance to save lives.

Bruce A. Trevithick, executive director of the county Medical Control Authority, said the oversight organization will examine the entire Waller episode. The organization has the authority to penalize Regional if it finds that its protocals were not followed.

The company has said in a written statement that its dispatch and ambulance crews followed all Medical Control Authority protocols for response, notification of delay, and reassignments.

The company and the county emergency dispatch center have offered differing timelines and versions of what happened that day.

"It's something we are going to investigate. ... We do have a protocol that requires vehicles to be mechanically sound," Trevithick said.

Curtis and county board Chairman Woodrow Stanley said a lawsuit filed by Swartz Ambulance Service to block the county ordinance hasn't stopped them from planning interviews with candidates to fill a new emergency medical services coordinator position.

Stanley said the county has no choice but to defend itself against the lawsuit before it implements the new system.

"Subject to a resolution we will hopefully be able to go forward (then)," Stanley said.

"We're not going to go forward with implementation given that we're in litigation."

The new EMS coordinator will work for the county commissioners, Curtis said, enforcing terms of a contract with whichever company or companies are chosen to work in the two zones.

Commissioners have said their goal is to have the new system in place by the start of next year.

---
Permalink:
http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2008/04/fenton_township_motocross_deat.html
Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:40 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Thanks, for that information.

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:16 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

More info--opportunity for you to ask questions?

Genesee County Board of Commissioners to meet Flint Township residents tonight (April 29)
by Ron Fonger | The Flint Journal
Tuesday April 29, 2008, 10:34 AM
FLINT TOWNSHIP, Michigan -- Chairman Woodrow Stanley and Vice Chairman Ted Henry of the Genesee County Board of Commissioners will meet township residents at 6 tonight at the Township Hall, 1490 S. Dye Road.

Permalink:
http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/04/genesee_county_board_of_commis.html
Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:23 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

I just saw that.....I have had something on the schedule for tonight since three months ago....ARGH!!!!

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:37 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

People REALLY need to consider running against the communists on the board of commisioners including the so called "Republican" on the board who also voted with everyone else (it was a unanaous vote http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/local&id=5813805) to support this Hugo Chavez type of ordinance that will destroy free enterprise and put lives in jeopardy.

At the next County Republican meeting I will probably ask the Genesee County Republican party to distance themselves/condemn the so called Republican on the county board for his opposition to the traditional american concept free enterprise. There was absolutely no support for this at the County Republican meeting last night and most everyone seemed firmly opposed/shocked that this communist type of ordinance even passed.

I have heard there is one person in the county who was able to push this through who basically controls the 911 consortium. This ordinance may benefit the sherrifs department by giving them money but it appears that it will put lives in jeopardy by increasing response times in the two zones.

In addition after this ordinance puts most ambulancxes out of business they will eventually have to rebid this proposal which will mean that our taxes will likely go up because our ambulance companies will be forced out of business by this county.

I heard one of the ambulance company owners even offered to pay for new radios in the ambulances but he was shunned! They would not even consider his offer to save free enterprise.

I would urge everyone to do what they can to oppose this ordnance.
Post Fri May 02, 2008 10:26 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

I know the person that you speak of. As he stood at a recent twp. board meeting presenting with his "Jimmy Stewart-esque" posture and the LADY (notice caps, not chick but a lady) that was with him I couldn't help but get mad and incensed about this at the same time.

If these local ambulance companies, owned by LOCAL people get the proverbial "get the hell out of Dodge" kick in the *** are the "new" companies going to give back to the community by giving free services for football games, the Crim, sometimes even free transport? Don't think so. How would they pay back the community?

Anytime I speak about the county and their decisions this guy is the first thing that pops in my head.

Post Fri May 02, 2008 10:52 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:

I don't recognize him. Who is he?
Post Fri May 02, 2008 11:48 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

http://www.co.genesee.mi.us/boardofcom/map4.jpg shows the districts.
Post Fri May 02, 2008 12:28 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Mr. Potter the old man from It's A Wonderful Life, the guy that wanted to run the whole town, to me he's symbolic of the Genesee County Board of Commissioners and it seemed fitting since one of the fine gentlemen that stood in front of the local township board seemed to have the traits of Jimmy Stewart. Smile

Post Fri May 02, 2008 4:02 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
http://www.co.genesee.mi.us/boardofcom/map4.jpg shows the districts.

Yeah, I have known of "my" commissioner for 20 some odd years and I just spoke to that person about running in my jurisdiction. Even though we disagree some good conversations were had.

Not running.....must have been good, eh? Nah, just kidding, the kids are too young right now and need me at home. 4 years from now I can leave them at home alone. I have only needed to have one babysitter in the entire 11 years that I have been a parent and that babysitter wasn't related to me. I have been proud of that and honored to have the chance to raise my children that way. Maybe that will give me four more years of growth, by our conversations on here you may be stating in the back of your mind, yeah, take 4 more years of Dale Carnegie classes and we'll get along fine, eh? Smile

Post Fri May 02, 2008 4:07 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

You could still go on the ballot and provide token opposiotion and do one or two interviews. If that's all you do and you run as a Republican you should still lose but hopefully get the message across to the opposition.
Post Fri May 02, 2008 5:10 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Nah, there was an opening in my jurisdiction due to a trustee retiring and I put my name in for the remainder of the 7 months until Nov. Didn't get it.

I'll run possibly the next time, right now I am having too much fun working at the precincts as a co-chair.. Smile

Post Fri May 02, 2008 5:13 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: