FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Woodrow Stanley wins state house
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/05/genesee_county_board_chairman.html

FLINT, Michigan -- Woodrow Stanley, chairman of the Genesee County Board of Commissioners, says he's running for state House of Representatives, leaving the position that helped resuscitate his political career four years ago.

"The decision to move on is not for lack of fulfillment and enjoyment," Stanley said. "I have thought about the state House as a place to make a difference at a different level."

Stanley, 57, was expected at 11 a.m. today (May 1) to announce his campaign for the 34th District, a seat currently held by Rep. Brenda Clack, who cannot run for re-election because of term limits.

"There are a host of challenges I will find exciting and challenging to deal with ... that really will keep me focused and interested for a solid six years."

The former Flint mayor is by far the most recognizable candidate in what is already a crowded field for the open seat.

Three other Democrats and one Republican had filed for the same position as of Wednesday morning.

Adam Ford, 27, the Republican in a heavily Democratic district, said he knows taking on a candidate with Stanley's name recognition won't be easy.

"I'll be outgunned, but we'll see," said Ford, who is used to political long shots: He coordinated the county campaign of Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul.

Richard Dicks Jr., a Democrat, said he's running because voters are looking for something different.

"This is nothing about Woodrow Stanley, but many of these politicians ... their time has come and gone," said Dicks, an investigator with the state Department of Civil Rights.

Stanley said voters should feel comfortable with him because he's represented the area in different levels of government and because the state and Flint area share many of the same problems, including neighborhood development, economic development and school funding.

Stanley was elected to the county commission in 2004 and was picked by colleagues on the nine-member board as chairman for 2008.

He was recalled as mayor of Flint in March 2002, and then-Gov. John Engler appointed a financial manager to fix the city's ailing finances shortly after the vote.

Last edited by Adam Ford on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu May 01, 2008 1:00 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Dicks is running, Williamson blots out Woodrows press today, the knives are out. Gald I am a spectator this year. Its a form of self penance. I had offered to help one who will remain nameless but was rebuffed. LOL every one...
Post Thu May 01, 2008 9:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Thanks for the info. It probably wasn't a coincidence Williamson's timing for his govornor announcement. I imagine it's a safe bet Williamson will try and get Dicks heavily funded to take down his arch enemy.

We don't have a Republican candidate in your district if you know someone. Wink If you wanted you could help me and my group help children. We wouldn't turn you away.

If any liberal democrats want to help my campaign I won't turn them away. It will be interesting to see what stands my opponent will take or try and avoid having to take. I am a Ron Paul Republican so that could potentially make things interesting.

I actualy thought about helping out on Gravels libertarian campaign for president after he bolted from the dems to run for president.

Whoever wins on the dems side might want to consider hiring you. At least you are somewhat familiar with some of my vast right wing propaganda. lol
Post Thu May 01, 2008 9:52 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

has anyone heard if Chris D is gonna run?

It would take a grassroots effort.

Peace,
RAP

Post Fri May 02, 2008 12:33 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

THAT DID NOT TAKE LONG...

Richard Dicks Jr. withdraws from state House race
by Ron Fonger | The Flint Journal
Thursday May 01, 2008, 12:05 PM
FLINT, Michigan -- Richard Dicks Jr., a candidate in the race for state House of Representatives 34th District, says he's dropping out of a potential primary fight with Woodrow Stanley and two other candidates.

Dicks, 41, an investigator with the Michigan Department of Civil Rights, said today that he is withdrawing from the race.

"The decision is largely based on my interest to focus on my current position with the state of Michigan," Dicks said in a written statement.

Stanley was expected to announce his candidacy and file for a ballot spot today.

The 34th District seat currently is held by state Rep. Brenda Clack, D-Flint, who cannot run for re-election because of term limits. Two other candidates have also filed for the seat as Democrats -- Eleazar D. Barzart and Max Garza.

Republican Adam Ford has also filed for a place on the ballot.
Post Fri May 02, 2008 4:17 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I can't believe this, but I would actually consider helping you, Adam. My best abilities have to do with research, wordsmithing and advertising/marketing.

I would like to see your "platform", so to speak. What do you think the issues are? What is your stand on them?
Post Fri May 02, 2008 8:03 am 
squash
F L I N T O I D

It's funny you say that Dem, I had similar thoughts as I was reading this last night.
Post Fri May 02, 2008 8:30 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Demeralda schreef:
I can't believe this, but I would actually consider helping you, Adam. My best abilities have to do with research, wordsmithing and advertising/marketing.

I would like to see your "platform", so to speak. What do you think the issues are? What is your stand on them?

Are you in my district? I REALLY need supportive county commision candidates in my district preferrably Republican but I am of course open to Democratic support.

I could probably use help with researching my opponent. Right now I do not have one in my primary. I could probably use help researching the democrat that I will face though. I'm also curious why Rev Wright seems supportive of abortion.

The key issue I see is jobs. We need to be more business freindly in Michigan. Like a typical conservative Republican I favor lower taxes and less unnecessary regulations. I am also opposed to government sponsored discrimination in Michigan which most everyone in Lansing seems to support. My fierced opposition would be to the starvation bill passed with only two Republicans abstaining from voting for it.

I am also very pro-life

I am also opposed to the war on blacks (Drug war) although it does have a negative impact in the white community as well. In relation we also need to reform Micigan's penal code. It's pretty ironic that people can serve longer for drug sentences than for murder. Kwame is another example of penal code reform. Although what e did is wrong I'm not convinced e is worse than a murderer like our states laws may see that.

I am more conservative/libertarian when it comes to things like marriage and gun ownership but a lot of that is at the federal level.
Post Fri May 02, 2008 10:47 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Post Fri May 02, 2008 12:56 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I don't totally agree with republican views on business, but I do understand where you're coming from. Business owners I know really struggle with Michigan's taxes.

You may be personally pro-life, but do you really think that's an area in which our government should be legislating?

And sorry, I don't think I am in your district. I live in Flushing Township.

Opposition research... it's so dirty. I could do it, though.
Post Fri May 02, 2008 3:08 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Unfornately for us other states do agree with conservative ideals. Indiana has a sign at our border encouraging our oppressed business to come to their much more welcoming state.

Compared to regulating marriages, gun ownership, dog ownership etc I think abortion makes since. I agree with Ron Paul though. I would let th states decide if a baby is a human being or not. For Michigan I would define human life as beginning at conception.

Do you know anyone in my district?

It shouldn't be unless the oposition is dirty. lol
Post Fri May 02, 2008 4:00 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I'm in that district.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri May 02, 2008 4:59 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Could you go on the ballot for county commisssion?
Post Fri May 02, 2008 5:39 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I'm not qualified; I can't talk for an hour & say nothing. Not to mention that I find politics to be slimy & disgusting. It's not about helping people, it's about "What's in it for me"?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat May 03, 2008 7:06 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
I'm not qualified; I can't talk for an hour & say nothing. Not to mention that I find politics to be slimy & disgusting. It's not about helping people, it's about "What's in it for me"?

Slimy AND disgusting?
Post Sat May 03, 2008 10:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: