FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Election coverage
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/05/the_big_race_this_year_genesee.html

GENESEE COUNTY, Michigan -- County Commissioner Rose Bogardus didn't take long to draw a distinction between herself and others in the super-crowded race for county register of deeds.

With 13 other candidates all looking to replace ailing incumbent Melvin McCree, Bogardus used her county commission seat as a soapbox Tuesday, saying she would work to eliminate her own job if she wins.

The competitive register of deeds race continued to be the most intriguing political story of the season in county government at Tuesday's 4 p.m. filing deadline.

But there were other eyebrow-raising, last-minute filings, including:

• Former county Prosecutor Arthur A. Busch, Democrat, filed against incumbent Commissioner Ted Henry, D-Clayton Twp.

Busch regularly feuded with county commissioners toward the end of his last term as prosecutor, which ended in 2004.

• Clayton Township Police Chief Chuck Melki filed to run against incumbent Sheriff Robert Pickell, a rematch from the 2000 election, in the Democratic primary.

• Incumbent Clerk Michael J. Carr and Treasurer Daniel T. Kildee got late challenges filed against them by Republicans. Michelle Voorheis filed to run against Carr while Judy Zabik filed against Kildee. Both candidates challenged the same incumbents four years ago.

And, there are some heated races already shaping up at the state level too.

There are two open state House seats in Genesee County with clashes brewing in both parties for the 51st District in southern Genesee County.

There three Republicans and three Democrats are battling it out to replace term-limited Rep. David B. Robertson, R-Grand Blanc Twp. It is one of the few seats statewide that can be won by either political party -- and that gives it the potential at least to be a deciding factor in whether Democrats or Republicans control what laws are passed or even discussed by lawmakers.

"I think this has the makings of one of the most exciting races this year," said Bill Ballenger, editor of the newsletter "Inside Michigan Politics."

Republicans include Fenton-area tanning franchise owner and magazine publisher Vince Lorraine and retired U.S. Air Force major James B. Swenor and Paul H. Scott who are both from the Grand Blanc area.

The Democratic side includes longtime television personality Michael J. Thorp, Grand Blanc-area volunteer Thomas J. McGee and Harold I. Ward, co-founder of the county's Democratic Progressive Caucus.

The 34th district is another crowded field this year with incumbent and Democrat Brenda Clack unable to run again because of term limits.

The most recognizable local name by far on that ballot is former Flint mayor Woodrow Stanley, now chairman of the Genesee County Board of Commissioners.

He faces four other Democrats including Richard Dicks Jr., Max Garza, Eleazar D. Barzart and Chris Del Morone. And, Adam Ford will also take his shot as the lone Republican candidate in a heavily Democratic district.

Still, the register of deeds race ranks as the largest, at least in number of candidates.

Bogardus may not be the only candidate in the race who advocates combining the register of deeds office as a cost-saving measure.

It's been suggested before, but the Davison Democrat might have the best chance at the office of anyone who has pushed to merge it.

"I'm running to eliminate the register of deeds," Bogardus said. "We can't do business as usual."

Fellow Commissioner and candidate Raynetta P. Speed, D-Flint, said she doesn't support merging the register of deeds office.

Facing 11 other Democrats in the primary election and two Republicans, Speed said some of those who filed have a rude awakening coming about what it takes to run a countywide campaign.

"Everybody is looking at that dollar sign," she said of the strong interest in the position.

Bogardus also filed to keep her county commission seat but must decide by Friday which office to stay on the ballot for.
Post Tue May 13, 2008 7:35 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

There is not a Republican running in the other Flint state house race.
Post Tue May 13, 2008 7:40 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

WHy didn't you run Adam? You did pretty good last time.
Post Wed May 14, 2008 10:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
WHy didn't you run Adam? You did pretty good last time.

Did you read the article? Look for the bold text. I'm running but the other Flint distrcit does not have a Republican.
Post Wed May 14, 2008 11:11 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/05/longtime_battles_coming_to_pri.html

GENESEE COUNTY, Michigan -- This election, it looks as if voters will get to weigh in on longtime local feuds.
The ballot will include an ousted police chief running for supervisor in Argentine Township, vocal lot-size activists in Atlas Township and a menagerie of critics and quarreling officials in Thetford Township.

That's just a taste of what voters will face when the August primary rolls around, with township officials countywide and several other local politicians looking for re-election.

It's especially interesting in Argentine Township, where former Police Chief Terry VanKeuren -- who recently received a $650,000 settlement over a dispute with the Township Board -- is running for supervisor.

If VanKeuren defeats Republican Cyrus Spiegel in the August primary, he will try to defeat incumbent Bob Cole in the November general election.

In his lawsuit, VanKeuren claimed he was retaliated against and harassed after he conducted an investigation of a township officer. VanKeuren has said he was forced to leave his job, while Cole has said VanKeuren quit.

VanKeuren said his candidacy is not "sour grapes."

"That's over and done with, and it's time to move on and improve the township," he said. "Our main roads are crumbling. Our dirt roads still need attention. Lawsuits have been filed due to board negligence, and the township as a whole has regressed."

Also in Argentine Township, Denise Graves is looking to replace her husband, Joe Graves, who is running for the Genesee County Board of Commissioners, as township clerk. She and Matt Gettler will face off in the Republican primary.

Also in southern Genesee County, two people who worked on defeating a ballot proposal that dealt with lot sizes of homes are running for office in Atlas Township.

Shirley Kautman-Jones is seeking the supervisor post, while Susan Arnold is vying for a trustee spot on the board.

Both opposed increasing the minimum lot size for homes from three acres to five in designated areas of the township. Voters defeated the proposal in August.

Kautman-Jones -- a former Goodrich school board member and township planning commissioner -- will try to oust incumbent Paul Amman. The two have been at odds over several issues.

"I just feel I can do a good job running the township and helping run the township," she said. "I think I can create an environment that works well with the village and the schools in a cohesive fashion so we're not working as separate entities."

Also running on the Republican ticket for trustee are incumbents Barry June and Scott Statson and resident Norene Newton.

In Fenton Township, former Supervisor Carl Gabrielson faces incumbent Bonnie Mathis and Trustee Larraine Zimmer in the Republican primary. Five trustee candidates are vying for four seats on the board.

In Grand Blanc Township, Democrat Micki Hoffman will face the winner of the Republican primary in the race for supervisor. Grand Blanc Board of Education President Michael Blondell faces newcomer Karter Landon in the Republican primary.

In the clerk's race, incumbent Linda Kingston faces Cathy Lane in the Republican primary, and in the treasurer's race, current township Supervisor Jeffrey Zittel faces Earl Guzak in the Republican primary.

Along with diminished duties, the pay for supervisor is dropping from roughly $60,000 to about $18,000 a year.

Meanwhile, two Clayton Township leaders will have to take a break from infighting to campaign for re-election.

Supervisor Rod Shumaker and Clerk Sally Lurvey have been in and out of court this year over a dispute -- and both face opposition on several fronts.

Shumaker faces Bruce Beatty and Ted Henry on the Democratic side, and Republicans Bradley Anthony and Brian Sepanak are vying for a spot on the November ballot.

Henry, a member of the Genesee County Board of Commissioners, must decide by Friday whether to run for supervisor or to stay in the commission race against Arthur A. Busch, the former county prosecutor.

Perkins faces a Democratic primary challenge from three: Bruce Beatty, Natalie Dennings and John Simor.

As for quantity of candidates, Flushing Township is tops.

The trustee races has drawn eight Republican candidates and four Democrats for four seats.In Thetford Township, almost everybody is opposed. The lone exception: Treasurer Shelly Ayotte, a Democrat.

The big race here is heated already, with Trustee Cynthia Hicks challenging Supervisor Duke Hatchett. The two are well-known for their quarrels on the board -- with each questioning the other's ethics.

There are also eight Democrats running for four trustee spots, including former Richfield Township Supervisor Stanley Piechnik Sr., a frequent township critic who ran unsuccessfully in 2004 for treasurer and has been thrown out of meetings by Hatchett.

In Flint Township, Karyn Miller is giving it a second shot -- but this time, she's running for supervisor as a Democrat.

Miller unsuccessfully ran against current Supervisor Doug Carlton in 2006 as a Republican.

Clio and Vienna Township officials could not be reached for comment about races there.

Here are the candidates for the August primary election. Candidates, including those who filed for multiple seats, have several days to withdraw. Note: List includes only races that are contested in the primary. (I) indicates incumbent.

GENESEE COUNTY
Board of Commissioners
District 1
Democrat
• Bernadel L. Jefferson
• Felix E. Owens
• Harry Ryan
• Omar A. Sims

District 2
Democrat
• Brenda Clack
• Barbara Culp
• David Davenport
• Alonzo Goodman

District 5
Republican
• Miles T. Gadola (I)
• Anthony Welch

District 6
Democrat
• James Cole
• Patricia A. Lockwood (I)

District 8
Democrat
• Arthur A. Busch
• Ted Henry (I)

District 9
Democrat
• Rose Bogardus (I)
• Patrick Gleason
• Charles Jerry Rice

Genesee County Register of Deeds
Democrat
• Rose Bogardus
• Norm Bryant
• Tina Conley
• Michael L. Curtis
• Ryan Eashoo
• Frances L. Gilcreast
• Ted Jankowski
• Diana Kelly
• David I. Lemere
• Lawrence Mitchell
• Raynetta P. Speed
• Richard Wagonlander

Republican
• Fredrick Wilson
• William W. Kovl

Genesee County Sheriff
Democrat
• Robert J. Pickell (I)
• Chuck Melki

State House 34th District
Democrat
• Eleazar D. Barzart
• Chris Del Morone
• Richard Dicks Jr.
• Max Garza
• Woodrow Stanley

State House 48th District
Republican
• Ralph C. Burger
• Johnathon Sprague

State House 49th District
Democrat
• Lee Gonzales (I)
• Larry Hutchinson

State House 50th District
Democrat
• Ted Hammon (I)
• Jim Slezak

State House 51st District
Democrat
• Thomas J. McGee
• Michael J. Thorp
• Harold I. Ward

Republican
• Vince Lorraine
• Paul Scott
• James B. Swenor

Argentine Township
Supervisor
Republican
• Cyrus Spiegel
• Terry VanKeuren

Clerk
Republican
• Matt Gettler
• Denise Graves

Treasurer
Republican
• Brian Beck
• Norman Schmidt (I)

Trustee, two seats
Republican
• Thomas Hallman
• Jason King (I)
• Carl Lesser
• Lorena Weber

Atlas Township
Supervisor
Republican
• Paul Amman (I)
• Shirley Kautman-Jones

Treasurer
Republican
• Ann K. Hutchins
• Ann Marie Slagle (I)

Trustee, two seats
Republican
• Susan Arnold
• Barry M. June (I)
• Norene Newton
• Scott J. Statson (I)

Clayton Township
Supervisor
Democrat
• Bruce Beatty
• Ted Henry
• Rod Shumaker (I)

Republican
• Bradley Anthony
• Brian Sepanak

Treasurer
Democrat
• Bruce Beatty
• Natalie Dennings
• Beth Perkins (I)
• John Simor

Trustee, four seats
Democrat
• Greg Childers (I)
• Kelly Clark
• Jennifer Henry
• Glenn Huffman (I)
• Kathy McGeathy
• John Sayer (I)
• Chuck Shinouskis
• Richard Tesner

Fenton Township
Supervisor
Republican
• Bonnie Mathis (I)
• Carl Gabrielson
• Lorraine Zimmer

Trustee, four seats
Republican
• Mark Goupil (I)
• Tony Brown (I)
• K.C. Baran
• Sue Foland
• Robert Kesler

Flint Township
Supervisor
Democrat
• Doug Carlton (I)
• Karyn Miller

Clerk
Democrat
• Kim Courts (I)
• David Huffman

Treasurer
Democrat
• Sandra Wright (I)
• Michael Coburn

Trustee, four seats
Democrat
• George Menoutes
• Edward Burns
• Belenda Parker (I)
• Roger Powell (I)
• Franklin Kasle (I)
• Barbara Vert
• Brady Smith (I)

Flushing Township
Supervisor
Republican
• Don Schwieman
• Andy Trotogot (I)

Treasurer
Republican
• Carl Liepmann (I)
• William Noecker

Trustees, four seats
Republican
• John Cuddeback
• Robert DeWolley
• Michael Gardner
• Mary Mossman
• Barry Pratt (I)
• Mark Purkey
• Ida Reed (I)
• Gary Whitmire

Gaines Township
Trustee, two seats
Democrat
• Lee Purdy (I)
• Frank Hyrman
• Charles Timmons

Grand Blanc Township
Supervisor
Republican
• Michael Blondell
• Karter Landon

Clerk
Republican
• Linda Kingston (I)
• Cathy Lane

Treasurer
Republican
• Jeffrey Zittel
• Earl Guzak

Montrose
Mayor (nonpartisan)
• Clinton Diffin
• Eldon Dunkley (I)

Montrose Township
Trustee, four seats
Democrat
• Dan Hill
• Gary Keeler (I)
• Linda Miller
• John Newcomer (I)
• Tom Pititnof
• Don Pollard
• John Soave

Mundy Township
Supervisor
Democrat
• Karen Bond (I)
• David Guigear

Clerk
Democrat
• Heidi Romans
• Tonya Ketzler

Treasurer
Democrat
• Robert Neumann
• Joe Oskey
• Nathan Henry
• Reta Hawk

Trustee, four seats
Democrat
• Robert Neumann
• Mary Sheridan
• Bill Morey
• Dennis Owens
• Mark Frost
• Betty Harrison
• Jimmie Jones
• Johnnie Jones

Republican
• Vickie Sturgess
• Joe Kudwa
• Gerrad Godley

Swartz Creek
City Council, 3 seats (nonpartisan)
• Don Adams (I)
• Jason Christie (I)
• Betty Binder
• Richard Abrams (I)
• Doug Whitestone
• David Krueger
• John Gilbert

Thetford Township
Supervisor
Democrat
• Luther M. Hatchett (I)
• Cynthia Hicks

Clerk
Democrat
• Julie Paulson (I)
• Gary Stevens

Trustee, four seats
Democrat
• Steven Olson
• Stanley Piechnik Sr.
• Eileen Kerr (I)
• David Phillips (I)
• Frank Kolinski
• Jake Barton
• Herbert Thompson
• John Congdon (I)
Post Wed May 14, 2008 12:31 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I'm blind where ya running at?
Post Wed May 14, 2008 1:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

"The 34th district is another crowded field this year with incumbent and Democrat Brenda Clack unable to run again because of term limits.

The most recognizable local name by far on that ballot is former Flint mayor Woodrow Stanley, now chairman of the Genesee County Board of Commissioners.

He faces four other Democrats including Richard Dicks Jr., Max Garza, Eleazar D. Barzart and Chris Del Morone. And, Adam Ford will also take his shot as the lone Republican candidate in a heavily Democratic district."
Post Wed May 14, 2008 2:00 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

I believe Richard Dicks Jr. withdrew already.
Post Wed May 14, 2008 8:08 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
I believe Richard Dicks Jr. withdrew already.

http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/05/flint_journal_local_headlines.html

"Richard Dicks Jr., a candidate in the race for state House of Representatives' 34th District, says he's dropping out of a potential primary fight with Woodrow Stanley and two other candidates.

Dicks, 41, an investigator with the Michigan Department of Civil Rights, said Thursday he is withdrawing from the race."
Post Wed May 14, 2008 8:41 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

GOOD LUCK ADAM!!! I COMMEND YOUR PASSION AND DRIVE!!

quote:
Adam schreef:
http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/05/the_big_race_this_year_genesee.html

GENESEE COUNTY, Michigan -- County Commissioner Rose Bogardus didn't take long to draw a distinction between herself and others in the super-crowded race for county register of deeds.

With 13 other candidates all looking to replace ailing incumbent Melvin McCree, Bogardus used her county commission seat as a soapbox Tuesday, saying she would work to eliminate her own job if she wins.

The competitive register of deeds race continued to be the most intriguing political story of the season in county government at Tuesday's 4 p.m. filing deadline.

• Former county Prosecutor Arthur A. Busch, Democrat, filed against incumbent Commissioner Ted Henry, D-Clayton Twp.

Busch regularly feuded with county commissioners toward the end of his last term as prosecutor, which ended in 2004.

• Clayton Township Police Chief Chuck Melki filed to run against incumbent Sheriff Robert Pickell, a rematch from the 2000 election, in the Democratic primary.

• Incumbent Clerk Michael J. Carr and Treasurer Daniel T. Kildee got late challenges filed against them by Republicans. Michelle Voorheis filed to run against Carr while Judy Zabik filed against Kildee. Both candidates challenged the same incumbents four years ago.

There are two open state House seats in Genesee County with clashes brewing in both parties for the 51st District in southern Genesee County.

There three Republicans and three Democrats are battling it out to replace term-limited Rep. David B. Robertson, R-Grand Blanc Twp. It is one of the few seats statewide that can be won by either political party -- and that gives it the potential at least to be a deciding factor in whether Democrats or Republicans control what laws are passed or even discussed by lawmakers.

"I think this has the makings of one of the most exciting races this year," said Bill Ballenger, editor of the newsletter "Inside Michigan Politics."

Republicans include Fenton-area tanning franchise owner and magazine publisher Vince Lorraine and retired U.S. Air Force major James B. Swenor and Paul H. Scott who are both from the Grand Blanc area.

The Democratic side includes longtime television personality Michael J. Thorp, Grand Blanc-area volunteer Thomas J. McGee and Harold I. Ward, co-founder of the county's Democratic Progressive Caucus.

The 34th district is another crowded field this year with incumbent and Democrat Brenda Clack unable to run again because of term limits.

He faces four other Democrats including Richard Dicks Jr., Max Garza, Eleazar D. Barzart and Chris Del Morone. And, Adam Ford will also take his shot as the lone Republican candidate in a heavily Democratic district.

Still, the register of deeds race ranks as the largest, at least in number of candidates.

Bogardus may not be the only candidate in the race who advocates combining the register of deeds office as a cost-saving measure.

It's been suggested before, but the Davison Democrat might have the best chance at the office of anyone who has pushed to merge it.

"I'm running to eliminate the register of deeds," Bogardus said. "We can't do business as usual."

Fellow Commissioner and candidate Raynetta P. Speed, D-Flint, said she doesn't support merging the register of deeds office.

Facing 11 other Democrats in the primary election and two Republicans, Speed said some of those who filed have a rude awakening coming about what it takes to run a countywide campaign.

"Everybody is looking at that dollar sign," she said of the strong interest in the position.

Bogardus also filed to keep her county commission seat but must decide by Friday which office to stay on the ballot for.

Post Thu May 15, 2008 7:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Very interesting politics in Genesee County!

League of Women Voters of Michigan
Will be contacting every House Rep. in Michigan to create an online NON-Partisan Voters Guide for the August Primary.
Links will be from both the LWVMI website and Publius.com
Voters can look up polling locations at Publius.com , who is on their ballot and then link to information about the candidates.

League of Women Voters- Flint Area will be contacting candidates in Genesee County and publish a NON-Partisan Voter Guide Insert in the Flint Journal prior to the November Elections. Thank you Tony Dearing for bringing back this educational tool for Voters. LOOK for this in the Sunday Journal two weeks prior to elections.

Should have League of Women Voters- Flint Area website live soon.
Should have November Voter guide and links to Publius and LWV-US Voter Guide.

P.S. Great information Adam.

Peace,
RAP

Post Tue May 20, 2008 11:58 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Time for political musical chairs as term limits have people trying to move from one office to another. With 1 or 2 exceptions, I'd like to toss the whole bunch out.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed May 21, 2008 7:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

How come if we have term limits that folks like Karl levin continue to be on the taxpayers dole for what seems like the last 50 years??? Confused I believe we need to extend that to the US senate as well after all I see where the ailing Ted Kennedy has been a Mass senator since 1962.

Post Wed May 21, 2008 7:33 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

you have my support Adam!

quote:
Adam schreef:

Post Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
How come if we have term limits that folks like Karl levin continue to be on the taxpayers dole for what seems like the last 50 years??? Confused I believe we need to extend that to the US senate as well after all I see where the ailing Ted Kennedy has been a Mass senator since 1962.

Actually, term limits on the Michigan legislature has proved to be an utter failure leading to amateurs who don't know how to compromise. Take a look at the brief Michigan shutdown last October 1.

I heartily support the ballot proposal to reduce the size of Michigan government.

Post Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:06 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: