FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Hillary must drop out

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

She and her campaign workers are looking more ridiculous every day.

Michigan and Florida should not be seated -- a deal's a deal. I stayed home from the primaries because I was told my vote wouldn't count. What about people like me?

I feel sorry for her that she's not getting her shot, but it is what it is. Continuing won't change it. She can wait 4-8 more years... she'd still be younger than McCain.

End my rant for the day. Who's with me?
Post Wed May 14, 2008 3:08 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

You support disenfranchisement? What about the people who did vote and did not get their votes counted.
What about all the racist white people supporting her? Don't they deserve a voice? (sarcasm) A lot of neoconservatives Republicans are also pulling for Hillary to help out John Mccain. In addition I hear Hillary needs to stay in the race to pay off her debts. If Hillary can stay in the race and bruise up Obama some more she might be able to get him to lose so she can run again in 2012. If Obama wins Hillary will have to wait until 2016.
Post Wed May 14, 2008 3:31 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I heard that Obama may offer/has offered to pay off her debt if she bows out.

Yes the whole thing is stupid. We're all disenfranchised. However, if Obama had been on the ballot, she may have won Michigan, but not by the ridiculous margin she got. If they must seat delegates, they should do it 50/50.
Post Wed May 14, 2008 3:47 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Why would she drop out?? She just kicked Obamas ass in W.Virginia, ya dont quit when you are winning. Laughing
Post Wed May 14, 2008 4:11 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

"Clinton faces deadline for loan repayment

Turns out that if Hillary Clinton wants the $11 million she has lent her campaign back, she'll have to raise it by the Democratic convention at the end of August. According to Bloomberg, "a little-known provision of [the McCain-Feingold campaign finanance reform bill] prevents candidates who drop out of the race from raising money after the nominating conventions to repay themselves for personal loans."

There is a way that Clinton can pay off the money her campaign owes to other people. As Bloomberg notes, $23 million has been given to the Clinton campaign, earmarked for the general election. Clinton could ask those donors to give the money instead to her next Senate campaign -- she's up for reelection in 2012 -- and then have the Senate campaign pay off the outstanding debts. (It's not uncommon for one political campaign to donate to another, often for just this sort of purpose.) Because of McCain-Feingold, she could only recoup $250,000 herself through this maneuver, but it would likely mean paying off the rest of the campaign's debt, which is estimated at a total of $20 million, including the money Clinton herself has lent.

Even despite this deadline, Terry McAuliffe, the former Democratic National Committee head who's now Clinton's campaign chairman, recently said Clinton has told him she'd be willing to lend more to her campaign.

All this, of course, will only add fuel to the speculation that Barack Obama's campaign may help the Clinton camp retire its debt, something that's not uncommon at the end of a primary run."

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2008/05/12/clinton_loan/
Post Wed May 14, 2008 7:36 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

I agree with Demeralda that the Michigan delegates shouldn't be seated, not just because a deal's a deal, but because the law that was passed to hold the election early provided that if any portion of that law was found to be invalid the entire law would be invalid. The provision of the law that allowed for names/addresses of the voters to be provided to party leaders was found to be unconstitutional(?) so it would seem the results of the "invalid" early primary election would also be invalid. If that's so, then there would be no delegates.

Adam, the disenfranchisement of all the Michigan voters was caused by those who wrote and supported an illegal law, and those party leaders who caused it should suffer the consequences. Remember that when they're up for election again.

Twotap, Hillary may have won in West Virginia but Obama just got the endorsement of John Edwards, and he'll ask his delegates to support Obama.
Post Wed May 14, 2008 9:03 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: