FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Michigan Legislature moves towards cell phone driving ban

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michigan/index.ssf?/base/news-53/1211114641211430.xml&storylist=newsmichigan&thispage=1
Post Mon May 19, 2008 8:59 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

More idiocy.
Post Mon May 19, 2008 9:14 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Damn Hummer. Rolling Eyes

Post Mon May 19, 2008 2:38 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Would someone PLEASE explain to me why talking on a cell phone should be criminal?

But it's ok to put on makeup and drive.

It's ok to eat a Big Mac while driving.

It's ok to drive with your pet dog in your lap.

Actually, it's ok to put on makeup while you're
eating a Big Mac with your dog in your lap.
Post Mon May 19, 2008 5:18 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
FlintConservative schreef:
Would someone PLEASE explain to me why talking on a cell phone should be criminal?

But it's ok to put on makeup and drive.

It's ok to eat a Big Mac while driving.

It's ok to drive with your pet dog in your lap.

Actually, it's ok to put on makeup while you're
eating a Big Mac with your dog in your lap.

If you stop using logic and reasoning you may be able to better understand the thinking process of our elected officials.
Post Mon May 19, 2008 5:24 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

See You're missing the point.

In order to move up the Political ladder, You've got to write laws. THis is done to prove how much you care about people and to validate your reason for being in the legislature!

They are running out of things to protect you from.

We fight such high crimes like Mothers running to Meijer's to grab a gallon of Milk in their mini van without their seat belt. I'm so scared that they are going to break into my house and steal something, I'm grateful that the Police Stop them and catch them before they get a chance to and give them a ticket. God Bless those officers!

Now we finally have some bite in our Crime laws! Them annoying people with the cell phone in their ear that are about ready to car jack you. Police can finally take action and keep us safe!

Come on People! THis Saves Lives and fights crime! We need a hundred more laws like this to keep us safe!
Post Mon May 19, 2008 5:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
If you stop using logic and reasoning you may be able to better understand the thinking process of our elected officials.

That's my problem...always using logic and reasoning.
Post Mon May 19, 2008 5:57 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I have actually had much more distracting things going on while driving and Im still here. Razz Laughing

Post Mon May 19, 2008 6:03 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

To go along with this they have also been raising fees and restrictions to help keep us from driving but then again who needs to drive a work when there's welfare.
Post Mon May 19, 2008 7:42 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
I have actually had much more distracting things going on while driving and Im still here. Razz Laughing

I saw a bumper sticker once that said:

"Road head rules"

Was that your car?
Post Mon May 19, 2008 8:12 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
FlintConservative schreef:
Not criminal, but a civil offense. Driver's training class way back when... taught students they must have BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL. Unfortunately, I don't think students are getting consistent training, and adults who've been driving for a long time become lax in their habits.

Not too long ago legislators were considering cell phone bans while driving only for teenagers. I personally hope a law passes banning cell phones while driving except in those cases enumerated in this article [link provided in Adam's initial post]:

Cell phone use by drivers debated in Michigan
5/18/2008, 8:39 a.m. ET
By TIM MARTIN
The Associated Press

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — David Teater's attitude toward driving while talking on a hand-held cell phone changed Jan. 19, 2004.

That's the day his 12-year-old son, Joseph, was killed in a Grand Rapids traffic accident. The driver of a Hummer, who acknowledged she was distracted by a cell phone conversation, drove through a red light and slammed into the Chevrolet Suburban the youngster was riding in.

Teater, of Spring Lake, supports efforts in Michigan to ban the use of hand-held cell phones for drivers. Text-messaging while driving also would be banned under the Michigan proposal now in the state House.

"When cell phones first came out, I thought they were the greatest productivity tool ever created," said Teater, 52, who routinely talked on his mobile phone while driving between west Michigan and the Detroit area when he worked for an auto supply company.

"After that accident, I looked at the research and was shocked to find out how dangerous it is to conduct a telephone conversation while driving," he said.

A half-dozen states — including New York, Connecticut and starting this summer, California — have banned talking on hand-held phones while driving. Another six states, including Michigan, allow local governments to adopt their own policies but have no statewide ban. And some states restrict cell phone use for new or young drivers.

Teater now works for a company that is working to make cell phones safer and easier to use, including technology that would sense when a phone is in "driving" mode so a driver won't be distracted while behind the wheel.

Persuading Michigan lawmakers that a new law is needed won't be easy. Similar legislation in Michigan has fizzled in the past few years because of concerns the law might curtail privacy rights or personal freedom, be too hard to enforce or ineffective.

Even some sponsors of the ban acknowledge that talking on cell phones while behind the wheel has become part of generally accepted culture for both business and social reasons.

"It's that culture of acceptance that has helped create the problem," said Rep. Gino Polidori, a Democrat from Dearborn.

Added bill sponsor Steve Bieda, a House Democrat from Warren: "If we had a confessional here, there are probably a number of us who have done this while driving."

But supporters also cite Michigan traffic accident reports for 2006 that show cellular phone use was a factor in 951 crashes. Driver distraction in some form was a factor in more than 3,600 accidents.

Some of the bills in the package would prohibit text messaging while driving. Those measures got the most support from the House Transportation Committee, which last week overwhelmingly voted to send them to the full House.

The bill that would ban hand-held cell phone conversations, however, barely got enough votes to advance to the House floor.

The measures would let drivers talk on cell phones if they're using devices that let them chat while keeping their hands free to drive. But they couldn't make a call using a hand-held cell phone except in a medical emergency, to report a traffic accident or hazard or to report or avoid a crime. Phone use also would be allowed if there was a threat to a driver's personal safety.

The provision would be enforced only if a driver first was pulled over for another traffic offense. Drivers could be fined $100 for talking on a hand-held phone, or up to $500 for sending text messages while driving.

Rep. Michael Sak, a Grand Rapids Democrat who sponsored one of the bills, said supporters have worked with cell phone companies and automakers while drafting the legislation. It would allow the use of increasingly popular GPS devices, for instance, as well as other technology being built into cars to help drivers.

Police officers, emergency response workers and some others who use cell phones in their line of work would be exempt from the ban. Determining who should be exempt is sparking debate, with some lawmakers saying cell phones could be a distraction even while being used by emergency personnel.

It's not clear how the bills would fare if they passed the Democrat-controlled House and made it to the Senate, which has a Republican majority. A bill introduced by Detroit Democratic Sen. Buzz Thomas would ban drivers from using certain electronic devices, including cell phones, while behind the wheel. It hasn't gotten even a committee hearing.

Some say the bills banning hand-held cell phone use don't go far enough. They're not sure talking through a hands-free device is any safer than using a hand-held model.

But opponents argue there already are laws on the books covering careless or reckless driving, and that cell phone usage could be included in those definitions by law enforcement officials.

Some lawmakers think talking on cell phones isn't any more distracting than operating car radios and CD players, applying makeup, reading a map or eating while behind the wheel.

"We're trying to mandate and legislate personal discipline," said Rep. John Stahl, R-North Branch. "I don't think you can do that. How are you going to patrol that? Where does it end?"

___

The cell phone use bills are House Bills 4982, 5117 and 5396.

___

On the Net:

Michigan Legislature: http://www.legislature.mi.gov
Post Mon May 19, 2008 10:13 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Onstar, hands free communication works for me. Very Happy Of course you look like your carrying on a conversation with yourself. Laughing

Post Tue May 20, 2008 7:38 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I guess they should outlaw reaching for anything while driving, since that is BY FAR the most common cause of accidents.
Post Tue May 20, 2008 1:04 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

hmm only when pulled over for another violation. Isn't that how the Seat belt law started?

Then the State found out how much money they could make off ticketing those people so they Started stopping people specifically for seat belts. It's a BIG MONEY MAKER for the State. cell Phones are next.

My next question? Are police officers excempt, as well as politicians?

Laws like these are never enforced for the Elite.
Post Fri May 23, 2008 5:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Seat belt laws suck!

I know people (plural) that were in accidents and would be dead if they had seat belts on.

I used to wear seat belts as a driver -to stay behind the wheel in case of accident. To stay in better control of the car for the benefit of my passengers. For Ex: if my car was hit and spun, I would still be in place behind the wheel to move the vehicle (if able) out of harms way if pushed into oncoming traffic.

Until they made it Law. Took the choice from my hands, I No longer wear a seat belt.

I have seen people walking across the street talking on a cell phone so engrossed in conversation that they walked in front of moving traffic!

Drivers that do not know what a turn signal is because that hand is attached to a cell phone.

There is a great difference in personal choice in not wearing a seat belt and not paying attention to driving because you are talking on a cell.

One affects yourself and your passengers the other affects everyone on the street, school buses etc.

Peace,
Rap

Post Sat May 24, 2008 1:04 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: