FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Obama: Babies are punishment
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Link
Post Sat May 31, 2008 7:48 am 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

Depends on whether the baby is born inside or outside of wedlock, right Conservative? Before it's born, it's a life worth saving. After it's born, it's a tax burden.

Or maybe it was political fodder for righteous males all along.

http://www.hr676.org

http://www.pnhp.org/publications/the_national_health_insurance_bill_hr_676.php
Post Sat May 31, 2008 10:00 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

No it really doesn't. Babies are babies...and I love 'em all!

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:25 pm 
david
F L I N T O I D

God bless the children and keep them safe.

david
socal
Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:09 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Since y'all are not the ones stuck with the kid, I wouldn't expect anything less myopic.

When's the last time one of you took in a foster kid? Have you ever even done Big Brothers?

"SAVE THE FETUS SAVE THE FETUS!"

15 years later: "ANOTHER CRIMINAL FROM A SINGLE MOTHER. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THESE WOMEN WHO HAVE BABIES THEY CAN'T AFFORD? CUT THEIR FOOD STAMPS!"

God, the hypocrisy is thick today...

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:28 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

June 3, 2008
Essay
Repairing the Damage, Before Roe
By WALDO L. FIELDING, M.D.
With the Supreme Court becoming more conservative, many people who support women’s right to choose an abortion fear that Roe v. Wade, the 1973 decision that gave them that right, is in danger of being swept aside.

When such fears arise, we often hear about the pre-Roe “bad old days.” Yet there are few physicians today who can relate to them from personal experience. I can.

I am a retired gynecologist, in my mid-80s. My early formal training in my specialty was spent in New York City, from 1948 to 1953, in two of the city’s large municipal hospitals.

There I saw and treated almost every complication of illegal abortion that one could conjure, done either by the patient herself or by an abortionist — often unknowing, unskilled and probably uncaring. Yet the patient never told us who did the work, or where and under what conditions it was performed. She was in dire need of our help to complete the process or, as frequently was the case, to correct what damage might have been done.

The patient also did not explain why she had attempted the abortion, and we did not ask. This was a decision she made for herself, and the reasons were hers alone. Yet this much was clear: The woman had put herself at total risk, and literally did not know whether she would live or die.

This, too, was clear: Her desperate need to terminate a pregnancy was the driving force behind the selection of any method available.

The familiar symbol of illegal abortion is the infamous “coat hanger” — which may be the symbol, but is in no way a myth. In my years in New York, several women arrived with a hanger still in place. Whoever put it in — perhaps the patient herself — found it trapped in the cervix and could not remove it.

We did not have ultrasound, CT scans or any of the now accepted radiology techniques. The woman was placed under anesthesia, and as we removed the metal piece we held our breath, because we could not tell whether the hanger had gone through the uterus into the abdominal cavity. Fortunately, in the cases I saw, it had not.

However, not simply coat hangers were used.

Almost any implement you can imagine had been and was used to start an abortion — darning needles, crochet hooks, cut-glass salt shakers, soda bottles, sometimes intact, sometimes with the top broken off.

Another method that I did not encounter, but heard about from colleagues in other hospitals, was a soap solution forced through the cervical canal with a syringe. This could cause almost immediate death if a bubble in the solution entered a blood vessel and was transported to the heart.

The worst case I saw, and one I hope no one else will ever have to face, was that of a nurse who was admitted with what looked like a partly delivered umbilical cord. Yet as soon as we examined her, we realized that what we thought was the cord was in fact part of her intestine, which had been hooked and torn by whatever implement had been used in the abortion. It took six hours of surgery to remove the infected uterus and ovaries and repair the part of the bowel that was still functional.

It is important to remember that Roe v. Wade did not mean that abortions could be performed. They have always been done, dating from ancient Greek days.

What Roe said was that ending a pregnancy could be carried out by medical personnel, in a medically accepted setting, thus conferring on women, finally, the full rights of first-class citizens — and freeing their doctors to treat them as such.

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:50 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Demeralda schreef:
Since y'all are not the ones stuck with the kid, I wouldn't expect anything less myopic.

Guys are often stuck with child support. By your logic fathers should be able to kill the kid as well so they are not stuck with child support.
Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:03 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Adam:

When you magically get a uterus and you encounter people that tell you what you are able to do with it and not able to do with it, give Dem and me a call.

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:15 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
Adam:

When you magically get a uterus and you encounter people that tell you what you are able to do with it and not able to do with it, give Dem and me a call.

When you can fertilize yourself give me a call.
Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:23 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Child support is just not the same.

You know, I actually watched that video, and the words you've selected to represent what he said are misleading.

It IS a punishment for a child to be having a child merely because of ignorance and a lack of any discernible concern on the part of parents, school, or community. If you didn't notice, he also said the same about contracting an STD.

Furthermore, I bet there are plenty of women out there who do feel like they were punished by having children so young -- robbed of their own childhoods.

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:33 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Crossed legs would have prevented "being robbed of their childhood".

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:51 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Adam:

Humans are not asexual beings.

DS:

Of course, it's the woman's fault.

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:53 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

So would keeping it in your pants.

That's why these things are MISTAKES.

Good call, Andi. If girls weren't so very promiscuous we wouldn't have a problem!

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:33 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Hey, if Demeralda managed to keep her virginity to age 36 I dont see the problem. Razz Wink Cool Laughing

1900’s ANTIQUE SOLID OAK “INER –CHIL” ICE BOX

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:46 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Demeralda schreef:
So would keeping it in your pants.

That's why these things are MISTAKES.

Good call, Andi. If girls weren't so very promiscuous we wouldn't have a problem!

I thought promiscuity was invented in the 60's along with the Pill.....<ditzy laugh>......yet I was told that it's been around since the beginning of time....<ditzy laugh>.......ugh.

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:19 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: