FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Michigan ranked 3rd worst state for business - CEO's

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080608/OPINION03/806080310/1007/OPINION

CEO Magazine asked the top executives of 605 American companies to rank the states based on the best and worst places to do business. Michigan finished third from the bottom.

But don't worry -- House Democrats are working for all their worth to claim the No. 1 worst state title for Michigan.

Since the start of the year, the Democratic-controlled House has moved a flurry of bills that, if adopted, would make Michigan even less competitive for jobs and investment. Among them:

• An identity theft package that would require businesses to notify individuals each time their personal information is transferred outside the company's data base. The result would be a costly paperwork nightmare for nearly every business and organization in the state that maintains computer files on customers, members or employees.

Advertisement
• A package of bills that would virtually erase Michigan's status as an at-will employer state, severely limiting who can be fired and why.

• Legislation to create a state panel to set "equal pay for comparable work." The commission would basically determine wage rates in the private sector. In Minnesota, the law resulted in matching paychecks for firefighters and librarians.

• A bill that would prohibit employers from meeting with employees to discuss political or religious issues. This one is aimed entirely at preventing employers from discouraging their workers from joining labor unions. No such restrictions are placed on union organizers, confirming the conventional wisdom that Big Labor still calls the tune here.

• A "Hire Michigan First" proposal that would require any business that gets grants or contracts from the state to hire state residents for the jobs they create, even if those workers are less skilled and more expensive.

Fortunately, none of these idiocies have passed yet into law, thanks largely to a two-vote Republican majority in the Senate.

But the measures reflect a cluelessness about the impact of raising the cost and hassle of doing business in Michigan.

In their destructive determination to stick it to The Man, House Democrats seem to forget that The Man has both the money and jobs Michigan desperately needs, and plenty of other choices for where to take them.

The CEO survey, which considered taxation and regulation, work force quality and living environment, indicates Michigan is one of the very last places they think of when they think of locating a new business.

Michigan's leaders can argue 'til their blue in the face that our high-tax, high cost image is unfair and doesn't jive with their charts and graphs. But perception is reality.

And Michigan is doing nothing to change the perception that this state will bleed job creators dry and limit their flexibility to manage their work force.

Michigan needs a mission statement that declares we will measure every action we take, at every level of government, against its impact on jobs.

What it has instead is a big sign atop the Capitol that says to employers, "We Don't Want You."
Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:43 am 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

Every single example listed may not be what CEOs want, but are exactly the kinds of protections employees, consumers and the public good need.

"Whaaay. I don't want to have social responsibility. It costs me more money than cheating and cheapening people, and not cleaning up after myself. I don't want to do what's right and you can't make me. Look! Look! I made a list of people, places and things that I don't like. Read it! Read it! See! See!"

What spoiled brats. CEO magazine is just another rich boy's cry towel. Not news. Certainly not anything policy makers should consider on behalf of all citizens.

http://www.hr676.org

http://www.pnhp.org/publications/the_national_health_insurance_bill_hr_676.php
Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:27 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080608/OPINION03/806080310/1007/OPINION

• An identity theft package that would require businesses to notify individuals each time their personal information is transferred outside the company's data base. The result would be a costly paperwork nightmare for nearly every business and organization in the state that maintains computer files on customers, members or employees.

TED<> Umm don't we already have a federal law concerning Privacy that should already require that? Or it that just dealing with Medical records.

• A package of bills that would virtually erase Michigan's status as an at-will employer state, severely limiting who can be fired and why.

TED<> What's the sense of having any labor laws at all if you can be fired at any time because your an at will employee. It's a bad law to begin with.

• Legislation to create a state panel to set "equal pay for comparable work." The commission would basically determine wage rates in the private sector. In Minnesota, the law resulted in matching paychecks for firefighters and librarians.

TED<> Not sure I understand the wisdom of this one. But understanding it's michigans legislature. Where wisdom is in Short supply....

• A bill that would prohibit employers from meeting with employees to discuss political or religious issues. This one is aimed entirely at preventing employers from discouraging their workers from joining labor unions. No such restrictions are placed on union organizers, confirming the conventional wisdom that Big Labor still calls the tune here.

TED<> Makes sense. Employers should be able to threaten and harass their employees. That makes a lot of sense! DIG DONGS!

• A "Hire Michigan First" proposal that would require any business that gets grants or contracts from the state to hire state residents for the jobs they create, even if those workers are less skilled and more expensive.

TED<> AGAIN What is wrong with that. It's no different than requring contractors working in Flint with Our tax dollars paying for it requiring them to use local people. Or even young people from Jobs corps.

But the measures reflect a cluelessness about the impact of raising the cost and hassle of doing business in Michigan.
TED<> Why sure god forbid Business have to use any commonsense when dealing with their employees. They might just have to use their heads.

employers, "We Don't Want You."
Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

TED<> What's the sense of having any labor laws at all if you can be fired at any time because your an at will employee. It's a bad law to begin with.

So if a business owner has an employee that's lazy and rude to customers, he shouldn't be able to fire that employee? The owner shouldn't be able to reduce the number of employees when sales drop? Are people entitled to keep their job no matter what? Sounds like a good way to drive businesses out of the state instead of attracting them.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:30 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:

This could be a huge fee for Michgian businesses in the way of legal bills and settlements. It would make many more businesses more cost effective to shut down than to run.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:32 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: