FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: 'Buckle Up or Pay Up' keeps police from doing their crime-fi
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

FLINT JOURNAL LETTER TO THE EDITOR
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Wednesday, June 04, 2008
By Eugene Macey Jr.
Journal Reader
After reading Flint Journal articles "Ads warn drivers to 'Buckle Up or Pay Up'" [May 20] and "Thinner blue line" [May 21], I once again found myself shaking my head at this absurd campaign.

During this Memorial holiday campaign, I have seen a plethora of police from numerous jurisdictions harassing citizens over seat belts. Failure to buckle up seems to be the new No. 1 crime priority. Meanwhile, the police are supposedly overwhelmed with work because there are fewer officers to patrol.

As far as I am concerned, as long as there is a single officer with time to concentrate on seat-belt stings, there is room for more police layoffs. When the police truly do not have time to write seat-belt tickets, then the staffing level will be perfect.

Flint Mayor Don Williamson has talked about a millage to retain police positions. As if a millage would not already face daunting odds, who in their right mind would vote to increase taxes to fund further harassment? Talk about wasting our police's time!

It is high time the government performed its intended duty to protect society from violent criminals, rather than playing the role of Big Brother and protecting us from ourselves at the expense of our civil liberties.

Eugene Macey Jr.

Swartz Creek

TED- I JUST HAVE TO SAY AMEN!
Post Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:09 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

You'd be amazed how many people they pick up with outstanding warrants just by traffic stops alone, no matter how they are stopped, they are "fighting crime" while doing this. Officers take their chances with their lives when they pull over any car for any violation.

Post Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:05 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

You are correct, they catch many criminals. I believe the problem comes in with the FOCUS. We focus on Seat belts but, don't focus on Car theft, Home entry, etc. Barely focus on shootings. Unless of course your an elected offical or are related to someone in high postion on the police department.
Post Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:10 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

So, should the Police ignore all traffic violations? Should they ignore other laws that some people don't like? Wearing a seat belt is a State law; it's the duty of the Police to enforce laws. If you don't think it should be enforced, start a campaign to get it repealed. Did you obey all Marine Corps regulations, or just the ones you agreed with?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
So, should the Police ignore all traffic violations? Should they ignore other laws that some people don't like? Wearing a seat belt is a State law; it's the duty of the Police to enforce laws. If you don't think it should be enforced, start a campaign to get it repealed. Did you obey all Marine Corps regulations, or just the ones you agreed with?

Although my chances are slim to none if elected I would work to repeal the seat belt laws so that our police could be more effectively deployed. Although our state and local police might save a few lives focusing on the seat belt law I think they would save more lives by focusing on our high crime areas and investigating more serious felony crimes.
Post Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:42 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

****don't focus on Car theft, Home entry, etc.*****

If they were there on every corner then they would be able to thwart it.Smile

It's called pestering the snot out of em....possibly. Notice I said, possibly.

Post Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:43 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Right on Ted. What hooey.

I'd prefer they patrol neighborhoods even. That might thwart some crime...

But these days, it's all about THE MONEY.

My friend got a DUI and his attorney was speaking to the prosecutor about getting him a lighter charge, due to the circumstances. The exact response was, "I hear you. He's a nice guy. I hate to do this to him. But lowering the charge means LESS MONEY FOR THE STATE, and my bosses won't let me do that."

No, justice matters not. Just SHOW US THE MONEY!!

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:00 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

In light of that I wonder if his attorney reduced hie fee. Confused As far as strapping yourself in, one of the worst things that can happen in a frontal impact is to be launched thru the windshield and in the case of a rollover being ejected from the ride. Belts help prevent that from occuring but I dont believe you should be forced to wear em or be helmeted on your motorcycle. You make the choice you live with it.

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:02 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

You spelled Citadel wrong Razz

And yep, if you want to be dumb and not wear it, that's all you. I'll never get the rationale for that.

Oh, and clear channel Razz

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:17 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Thaks for the kerrections, that sort of goes along with the helpful hints thread. Laughing I som times gets exsited when im tiping and prmiturly put in werds befor my brain is incaged. Doin somehin prmatjurly kan get you in troble as well as runin a good time. Very Happy Razz

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:31 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Risk compensation: Do seat belts really save lives?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_compensation
http://www.riskandinsurance.com/story.jsp?storyId=13403234
Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:09 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Pretty good one, TT. Fortunately, I'm skilled in reading jibberish from reading the Flint Journal story comments...

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:22 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:

It's a matter of Priority. Why spend more on seat belt enforcement rather than spending more on catching criminals. THat's the whole point. Why is Seat belt enforcement a higher priority than investigating Car theft or Home invasion?

Personally, I don't believe it is a legal Law. but, I follow it because it is the law.

NOw to take this to the next level. Why do only the average Joe's have to pay for Seat Belt tickets or speeding tickets? Why do not Politicians receive and pay for theirs?

I will be working to change public opinion. Maybe we can get it repealed.

Hey, the Law is for everybody! Not just us poor working stiffs!

And Yes, I did follow all the regs. Right down to my zero to 3 hair cut.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:28 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
****don't focus on Car theft, Home entry, etc.*****

If they were there on every corner then they would be able to thwart it.Smile

It's called pestering the snot out of em....possibly. Notice I said, possibly.

I'm not talking about the outradegous. I'm tlaking about the common sense! Actually spend some time investigating. Maybe take some prints, check with possible witnesses, etc...
Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:41 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Ted:
Sometimes I wonder if police office politics get in the way.....

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:36 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: