FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Our taxes pay for kids and young adult dental care

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

If these Medicaid-eligible recipients would brush their teeth regularly and eat healthy instead of consuming so much sugar and junk food they might not have cavities.

Dental Services Expand to Serve More than 280,000 Michigan Children

Agency: Community Health

June 12, 2008

Michigan Governor Jennifer M. Granholm and the Michigan Department of Community Health (MDCH) today announced an expansion of the state's Healthy Kids Dental program to include 80,000 children in Genesee and Saginaw counties, bringing the total number of Michigan children covered to more than 280,000 children. The expansion takes effect July 1, 2008.

"We are extending needed health care for thousands of Michigan children by providing them with access to quality dental services," Granholm said. "Since 2000 when it began as a pilot program, Healthy Kids Dental has proven to be one of the nation's most effective public-private partnerships in delivering care to some of our state's most vulnerable residents."

The program is a partnership between MDCH, Delta Dental, and the Michigan Dental Association and is available to Medicaid-eligible recipients under the age of 21 in 61 of Michigan's 83 counties. Services include oral exams, teeth cleaning, x-rays, and cavity fillings.

"We are proud to be able to expand these services to children in Genesee and Saginaw counties," said MDCH Director Janet Olszewski. "Our children deserve access to quality dental care and this program plays a key role by providing that care."

"By using Delta Dental's network of participating dentists and processing claims as we would for our other customers, we have helped this extraordinary partnership increase access to dental treatment for hundreds of thousands of Michigan children," said Thomas J. Fleszar, president and chief executive officer, Delta Dental. "By all measures, Healthy Kids Dental is a success."

University of Michigan researcher Dr. Stephen A. Eklund conducted a study in 2007 and found dental visits were 50 percent higher for children enrolled in Healthy Kids Dental compared with children enrolled in the traditional Medicaid dental plan. The study included data from the program's first full year, 2001, through the end of 2005.

"The expansion of Healthy Kids Dental into two counties with major urban population centers is a clear testimony to the success of the program," said Joanne Dawley, D.D.S., president of the Michigan Dental Association. "This expansion will help even more children receive much-needed dental care, which is an integral part of primary care. The Michigan Dental Association looks forward to the day when children throughout the state will have access to Healthy Kids Dental."

Healthy Kids Dental was named by the American Dental Association as a top five model for improving access to dental care for low-income populations.

For more information about Healthy Kids Dental, visit www.michigan.gov/mdch or www.deltadentalmi.com.
---------------------------------
Source:
http://michigan.gov/minewswire/0,1607,7-136-3452-194170--,00.html
Post Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:51 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
If these Medicaid-eligible recipients would brush their teeth regularly and eat healthy instead of consuming so much sugar and junk food they might not have cavities.

Poor people by what is cheapest. The government subsidies unhealthy food making it the cheapest that rots their teeth and then helps pay for the dental work. This is another good example of well-intention liberalism gone bad.
Post Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:55 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Yes, starving is much better for your teeth. At least they can identify your corpse from the dental records...

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:36 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

We'd be better off with no subsidies and just cutting them a check like Reagan proposed and then they could buy healthy food. It's too bad welfare doesn't teach responsiblity or we could eliminate virtually every social welfare program and just send out one large welfare check a year.

The farm subsidies are really quite asanine. The U.S. government probably helps kill more Americans per year with them than Alqaeda could even dream about.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:55 am 
omgasmurf
F L I N T O I D

you still need to get a regular checkup even if you do eat healthy but most families can't afford to take themselves and their children to the dentist. most jobs do not have a dental plan.
Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:10 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: