FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Lets get Osama a highprofile lawyer to plead his case.

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Jeez someone remind us once again why we should we not fear an Obama presidency,,, once again?????

Filed under: WASHINGTON , BILL SAMMON , 2008 Trail

WASHINGTON (Map, News) - Barack Obama's foreign policy advisers said Tuesday that Osama bin Laden, if captured, should be allowed to appeal his case to U.S. civilian courts, a privilege opposed by John McCain.

Responding to questions from The Examiner, Sen. John Kerry and former White House counterterrorism czar Richard Clarke said bin Laden would benefit from last week's Supreme Court decision giving terrorism suspects habeas corpus, the right to appeal their military detention to civilian courts.

“If he were to be brought back,” Clarke said of bin Laden, “the Supreme Court ruling holds on the right of habeas corpus.”

Kerry, who applauded the Supreme Court ruling, said it will be carried out by whichever candidate wins the presidency.

“The Supreme Court of the United States has ruled that they have those rights,” he said. “If John McCain were president, he would have to give them those rights.”

Randy Scheunemann, McCain's senior foreign policy adviser, said those rights should not be extended to bin Laden or the hundreds of terrorism suspects being held by the U.S. military at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba.

“The individuals we hold at Guantanamo are very, very dangerous people,” Scheunemann said. “To give them full access to the federal courts and the criminal justice system is fraught with danger, moving forward, and likely to make America less safe, unlike Senator Obama's claim of supporting the decision that it made America safer.”

On Monday, Obama applauded the civilian prosecution of terrorists prior to the attacks of September 11, 2001.

“In previous terrorist attacks -- for example, the first attack against the World Trade Center -- we were able to arrest those responsible, put them on trial,” he told ABC. “They are currently in U.S. prisons, incapacitated.”

Obama said President Bush has relied too heavily on military prosecution of terrorists, which has “given a huge boost to terrorist recruitment in countries that say, ‘Look, this is how the United States treats Muslims.’”

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani said Obama wants “to take a step back to the failed policies that treated terrorism solely as a law enforcement matter, rather than a clear and present danger. Barack Obama appears to believe that terrorists should be treated like criminals -- a belief that underscores his fundamental lack of judgment regarding our national security.”
The attack sounded familiar to Kerry, who was the Democratic presidential nominee four years ago.

“This is exactly what they tried to say back in 2004, and the record absolutely contradicts it,” Kerry told The Examiner. “Every Democrat voted to go to war and attack the Taliban and al Qaeda, the people who attacked us. That is not a [legalistic] approach.”

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:45 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Ha, because we can trust Rudy's oh wise and sagely advice?

Pfft.

Habeus corpus is something we've been cultivating since the Magna Carta, if I'm not mistaken. It was the first thing in the WORLD that limited the power of a government to imprison its citizens, all due to the poor governing of that idiot King John.

I can't understand how every candidate doesn't support an idea that is a pillar of our very existence.

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:04 pm 
strattonsigns
F L I N T O I D

Hmmmmm, Osama....needs a lawyer??? Maybe Obama can defend him after he loses the election???
Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:56 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Hey they could get Uncle jeremiah as a character witness in fact anyone else who thinks the "Chickens came home to roost"!
Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:02 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Hey they could get Uncle jeremiah as a character witness in fact anyone else who thinks the "Chickens came home to roost"!

It's a figure of speech. Do you think countries like it when we overthrow their goverments. Our chickens "did come home to roost" after we overthrew Iran and they took our hostages.

I know you think people only hate us because we're free and prosperous but take a look at Switzeralnd. They have about just as much if not more freedoms and to my knowledge are just as rich if not richer. They don't help kill muslims or occupy muslim countries though.
Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:40 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:

Link
Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:42 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Sounds to me like you agree with these clowns that we had 911 coming. That should serve you well in your campaign. Rolling Eyes

quote:
I know you think people only hate us because we're free and prosperous but take a look at Switzeralnd.

You seem to claim to know a lot what people are thinking and the more you run your mouth we are finding out what you really think.
Are you actually running as a Republican??? cause you sure come across as a blame America first democrat.
Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:50 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Fortunately Jermiah is not totally correct because we have not recieved an eye for an eye. 3,000 civilian casualties is a tremndous toll for us but it is nothing compared to how many innocent civilians the U.S. government has killed overseas. Fortunately for our government we normally win or are not totally defeated otherwise some of our leaders likely would have faced trial for war crimes.

I also have concerns about U.S. sovereignty and why we are following an organization that supports genocide and murder around the world. (U.N.)

Unlike a typical elected Republican I do support border security though unlike the "Republicans" in Washington. I would probably try and get our Michigan national guard redeployed from Iraq to our Canadian border and possibly to guard key infrastructure. If that is not possible I might support increasing state police while we wait on the United State government to protect our borders.

Perhaps it's just paranoia but I do have a problem with our government taking it's marching orders from an anti-American organization. U.N.
Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:24 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: