FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Love the movie "Semi-Pro"

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I purchased the DVD Semi-Pro over the weekend and even I saw the movie at the theaters when it first came out, it is worth watching again. So far I've seen it 5 times. There are two versions of the movie. One version has Jackie Moon married to a knock-out but she loves the guys. I did not care for that version.
Go buy it, watch it again and again.

richard
Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:33 am 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

I hope it's the two-disc version as that's the one with the Flint documentary as a bonus feature.

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:43 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

It is. I liked the "4 Days in Flint" segment especially when the director said when they decided on the actress they wanted one who could look like she was from Flint.

Richard
Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:48 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
the actress they wanted one who could look like she was from Flint.

What distinguishing features do they usually posess? Confused

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:47 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

As I understand the director, they were looking for an actress who looked as dark and gritty as Flint. She pretty much fit the bill.

Richard
Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:55 pm 
Shawn Chittle
F L I N T O I D

A Semi-Pro short film that missed the DVD deadline by "that much." New Line was done with it in February before we were even done editing our short.

http://thestarrymessenger.blogspot.com/

Enjoy.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:56 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

That's a great video. Do you agree Ryan?

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:10 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I do agree, he did a great job on it. I am surprised it wasn't on the DVD....
Good Work, I think it was a great thing for Flint, Michigan...

quote:
Flinn's Journal schreef:
That's a great video. Do you agree Ryan?

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:25 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I was gonna rent it till I read some of the reviews. Shocked

This movie was Terrible. It was the corniest thing i've seen in a long time. I couldn't even watch it until the end because it lacked humor, Will Farrell (i usually love his work) wasn't good and the rest of the people in the movie were horrible also. just my opinion!

I found this review
Member Reviews

SweetHavenRIP
75%
Similar To You
SweetHavenRIP's other reviews >

Well, this film was semi horrible- that there was funnier than most of the lines in this stink bomb- I recall it not doing so well in the theaters, well I can see why now- Will Ferrell plays the owner of lowly basketball team in the now defunct ABA- not only is he the owner, but also coach and starting forward- he soon finds out the NBA will absorb the top four teams and the rest will dissolve- thus begins a journey with this group of rag tags to crack the top four and go on to the NBA- there were very little laughs at all in this one as opposed to some of Ferrell's earlier sports comedies- the supporting cast reeked, as there was no one to play off of Ferrell's zany behavior- he was left out in the cold throughout the movie- the concept wasn't bad at all and could have easily been pulled off, but in terms of sport's comedies it crashed and burned- sometimes Ferrell nails it, and sometimes he misses completely- this was one of those big misses

20 out of 22 people found this review helpful.

AS 1648036
70%
Similar To You
AS 1648036's other reviews >

This was one of the worst movies ever made. A possible career ending movie for an actor. The writing was terrible, the jokes were not funny. I didn't find one thing to even chuckle at in 90 minutes. In fact it was all I could do to stay awake, I all most stopped it several times because I was so bored and couldn't care less how it ended. This movie tanked at the box office and dropped out of theatres quickly so I had an idea of what I was in for. Pass this one by, you will be more entertained watching grass grow or paint dry.

13 out of 18 people found this review helpful.
LW 1330115
70%
Similar To You
LW 1330115's other reviews >

I am a huge Will Ferrell fan, but this movie has to be his worst. It was very disappointing. My husband and I may have laughed once during the whole thing. I don't recommend this movie to anyone.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful.
Nick Butler
54%
Similar To You
Nick Butler's other reviews >

Undeserving of consideration as a guilty pleasure, let alone a memorable comedy, this is arguably Ferrell's laziest performance -- saved only by his supporting cast, which is unfortunately restrained by a terrible script that reads like a first draft. Harrelson's subplot is completely unnecessary and labored, but at least the costumes were amusing -- can you tell I'm reaching for something positive to say? (4/10)

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful.

I love Will Farrell, but this is just too much. It's a rehash of his last 4 movies thrown into a blender and set to "Suck". It seems the writers knew this and tried to cover up a poor script with far more filthy language then was necessary. Don't get me wrong, I have a sailors mouth myself, but seriously, enough is enough. I will give credit to the "Love me sexy song" or whatever it was called, it's kinda funny. One final note, half the trailer wasn't even in the actual movie. I hate that.

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful.

I found this review

Mc Lovin
50%
Similar To You
Mc Lovin's other reviews >

Overall, this film was a whole lot of disappointment for what should have been a slam dunk. It was a cheap and lazy production. The directing is terrible and, more important, it's not funny. Who edited out the funny stuff? It misses the point entirely of what a spoof is supposed to be. What is most extraordinary about Semi-Pro is that someone actually provided money to produce it. The funding probably came from someone who did not, or could not read the script. At best Semi-Pro only manages to be semi-funny.

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful.

I found this review

yso 35818
48%
Similar To You
yso 35818's other reviews >

What a shame that Will Ferrell has to take his comic genius and keep it in the gutter. I hope he doesn't follow other SNL alumni to their untimely end. The movie was filled with unnecessary foul language.

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful.

I found this review

Bibs
41%
Similar To You
Bibs's other reviews >

I love Will Ferrell -- LOVE HIM -- but this movie just felt lazy. I think the creators thought the mere idea of having men run around in short shorts and afro wigs was so damn funny, that there was really no need to write jokes or develop characters. All of the funniest moments are in the trailer. It gets two stars instead of one because Will Ferrell is in it, and ok, fine -- Ferrell running around in extremely short shorts is actually pretty damn funny.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful.

I found this review

quartergoddess
40%
Similar To You
quartergoddess's other reviews >

This movie was pretty disappointing. My husband and I usually love Will Ferrell (Blades of Glory, Elf, Talledega Nights, Anchorman, Old School, to name a few), but this movie just comes up short. The problem is the plot, because there is no plot. There are a few moments including a "jive turkey" and the "alley oop" that are pretty funny. The whole subplot involving Woody Harrelson, Maura Tierney and Rob Corddry is a head scratcher. My husband and I couldn't figure out what was going on, much less what was the point. If you're looking for classic Will Ferrell funny, watch one of his other movies. This one just isn't up to par.

10 out of 13 people found this review helpful.

I found this review

Arachnid
34%
Similar To You
Arachnid's other reviews >

"Semi-Pro" is the latest sports spoof from comic genious Will Ferrell as we hit the hardwood floor in Flint, Michigan with the basketball Tropics. This movie is a lot more vulgar and profane than most of his films and hits more along the lines of "Slap Shot", but does not have the same impact. It has some genuinely funny moments like the song "Love Me Sexy" and the bear wrestling scene, but a lot of the other scenes of the movie feel forced and unnatural. It didn't have the flow of previous efforts like "Talledega Nights" or "Anchorman". Woody Harrelson really didn't seem to be in the moment either as I got the impression he was just there for the paycheck. Will Ferrell does continue to pour his heart and soul into his role...this time as Jackie Moon (owner, promoter, coach, music artist and power forward for the team) and his schtick is ever familiar and routine. If you are looking for something new or improvisational, you won't find it here. In his filmography, this one comes across as more of a movie he did to collect some coin while he works on his next big project. The movie is enjoyable, but nothing new or unexpected. It is worth a watch, but not one of Ferrell's best.

14 out of 21 people found this review helpful.

I found this review

AwesomeZara
— —%
Similar To You
AwesomeZara's other reviews >

I really didn't like the way that this movie just assumed that people would like it in the same way that people liked ANCHORMAN. I also hated that they cast Woody Harrelson as the straight man when he's so much more proficient being the goofball. I did enjoy watching Maura Tierney be cast as a hottie (she's really underrated as an actress and I personally find her beautiful) and Jackie Earle Haley as the stoner dude who gets lucky and makes the half court shot. Other than that,
398 customers reviewed this movie.

JoeFromMO63
82%
Similar To You
JoeFromMO63's other reviews >

This movie was exactly what I expected of it...a vapid, slapstick-laden jokefest chocked full of stupid and often inappropriate humor. In short, it was a typical Will Ferrell movie. Don't get me wrong, there were some moments where I laughed out load, but overall the jokes were sophomoric at best and just plain lame most of the time. Near the end of the movie the Director tried to add a bit of pathos to help the audience identify with the heroes and I did find myself rooting for them, but in general it was too little, too late and I wasn't upset when the end credits started rolling.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful.
heavy_half
60%
Similar To You
heavy_half's other reviews >

This movie was just useless. With all the actors that were attached (just look down the list...) it should've been a laugh riot. Instead it missed the target and was just pointless. I love Will Ferrel movies: Talledega Nights, Anchorman, even Kicking and Screaming. But this movie was awful. IT WAS NOT FUNNY! Night at the Roxbury was funnier. Night at the stinking Roxbury. PASS!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful.

I found this review

Scooter621
55%
Similar To You
Scooter621's other reviews >

This movie is just awful. Will Ferrell needs to stop making sports movies. There is nothing in this movie to like, I don't recall laughing even one time. Please Will, either make another style of movie or stop making movies all together. I don't recommend this movie, even for fans of Will Ferrell.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful.
And they just go on and on guess Ill pass. Laughing

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:14 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Twotap rent it and you will LOVE it.... Get Tropical already!!

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:22 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

ok ill give it a try but I hold you responsible. Wink Very Happy

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:31 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
ok ill give it a try but I hold you responsible. Wink Very Happy

You need to watch it a couple time to fully get it. It is a TYPICAL Will Ferrell movie.

Richard
Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:56 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: