FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Andrew Heller and the Erection, opps I mean Election
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Here's DonWatcher's watch list
Posted by Andrew Heller | The Flint Journal June 20, 2008 20:26PM
Categories: Andy's Random Blog Thoughts -- Enter at your own risk
Bloggers: A few of you had trouble finding the post about Don Williamson that I referenced in today's column, so I thought I'd pull it up and highlight it in its own file. -- andy

Posted by DonWatcher on 06/14/08 at 3:56PM

For those who are paying attention, it may be interesting to keep track of how many local politcos and candidates this year have ties to Don Williamson. A casual observer might get the impression that the Mayor is trying to control, not just Flint, but Genesee County as well.

Here is a starting point. Other bloggers may know of others as well.

County Commissioner Archie Bailey
County Commissioner Jamie Curtis
Register of Deeds Candidate Tina Conley / Rose Bogardus/Diana Kelly
Register of Deeds Candidate Frances Cleaves
County Commission Candidate Arthur Busch
County Commission Candidate James Cole
State Representative Lee Gonzales
State Representative Candidate Richard Dicks, Jr.
Flint Township Supervisor Doug Carlton
Flint Township Clerk Kim Courts
Flint Township Treasurer Sandra Wright

And, of course, there is:

Ken McArdle former Williamson Campaign Manager now campaign manager for Candidate for Register of Deeds Rose Bogardus

And, not to forget, the three sycophants on Flint City Council:

Flint City Councilman Ehren Gonzales
Flint City Councilwoman Sandy Hill
Flint City Councilman Kerry Nelson

Let the voters beware that they may unknowingly be doing the Don's bidding when they vote for other offices this year.

Post Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:01 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

1. Do you have details of their "ties", or is this a random list?

2. Got a list of those with ties to Kildee & the Democratic party establishment in the County?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:28 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

I hardly think that Register of Deeds candidate Diana Kelly is a friend of Mayor Williamson.... She lives in the failed subdivision Sugar Maple Farms... where the Mayor has refused to issue building permits to the developer and the development sits.... Ms. Kelly, the Greers, and the Aho's (whose house has since burned down) had to sue the City just to get them to put water and sewer out there.... I think that having her name on the list is a mistake.
Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:44 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Ehren Gonzales
F L I N T O I D

I always find these types of lists amuzing. One would think from the many posts on this site that all of Flints problems have occurred overnight and only a select few are to blame. The truth is many of our problems did not occur in the short term past. Rather, these problems are the result of many, many years of the same ineffective politicians running our government. They were reactionary instead of being proactive and looking for long-term solutions to the many problems they faced. Truth is we are now paying for past mistakes whether you choose to believe that or not is your perogative.

Case in point, these same politicians always relied on GM (and suppliers such as Delphi) and the tax base it provided directly through property taxes, income taxes, etc. They should have been looking for alternative means to replace the dwindling tax base by trying to attract new businesses, new industries, new technologies, to Flint and surrounding areas. That is what thriving communities do to make their cities better places to live and work. The politicians of the past were satisfied with the status quo and look at where that has got us. I will continue to support economic development contrary to what many of all my collegues failed to do when they voted against partnering with the Chamber of Commerce to bring jobs to this area. I will also continue to fight to reduce all expenses since with reduced revenue streams we cannot sustain these long term expenses year over year (one example I will again lead the way to try to get Ombudsman issue on ballot to eliminate office from the Charter).

Bottomline, I serve the 8th Ward in the city of Flint. I try my best to address / resolve the many concerns that arise. While I may not agree with everything administration does, it is my obligation to collaborate and communicate with administration on what the needs of the 8th ward are - that is what I was elected to do. The alternative is to not communicate with administration at all like some council members. That makes no sense. That only hurts the citizens of the city not their councilmember By the executive branch and legislative branch not communicating, the long term viability of our community suffers. Think about if Congress never communicated with the President, everything would be stagnate and nothing would get accomplished. I will continue to communicate with my constituents when they contact me. I will continue to work with administation to resolve the many concerns of the city, especially the 8th Ward - no matter what list that gets me on!
Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:51 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I give you credit for coming on here, though I'm surprised. Why do you care about what we think?

There is a difference, however, between "communicating" and "collaborating". I think everyone can agree you need to communicate, but achieving collaboration shouldn't be the most important goal always, either. Sometimes you DO have to fight, and shouldn't give it up when it is expedient to do so.

I'm very disappointed about this Neithercut situation. I want to understand why he was legally entitled to put himself in the middle. I want to know why everyone thought it was settled when it wasn't.

Ananich felt he was violating the Open Meetings act. Why wasn't EVERYONE worried about it?

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:01 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ehren Gonzales schreef:
I always find these types of lists amuzing. One would think from the many posts on this site that all of Flints problems have occurred overnight and only a select few are to blame. The truth is many of our problems did not occur in the short term past. Rather, these problems are the result of many, many years of the same ineffective politicians running our government. They were reactionary instead of being proactive and looking for long-term solutions to the many problems they faced. Truth is we are now paying for past mistakes whether you choose to believe that or not is your perogative.

Agreed. There's as tendency to leave the tough problems for the next group of office holders. Sadly, making decisions that may be painful is not the way to get votes. Too many people want instant fixes that cause no pain.

quote:
Case in point, these same politicians always relied on GM (and suppliers such as Delphi) and the tax base it provided directly through property taxes, income taxes, etc. They should have been looking for alternative means to replace the dwindling tax base by trying to attract new businesses, new industries, new technologies, to Flint and surrounding areas. That is what thriving communities do to make their cities better places to live and work. The politicians of the past were satisfied with the status quo and look at where that has got us. I will continue to support economic development contrary to what many of all my collegues failed to do when they voted against partnering with the Chamber of Commerce to bring jobs to this area.

Everyone expected GM to be here forever, and when that didn't happen, they saw GM as the sole reason for Flint's decline. Where was the effort to get other businesses to locate here? It's past time to partner with the rest of the county.

quote:
I will also continue to fight to reduce all expenses since with reduced revenue streams we cannot sustain these long term expenses year over year (one example I will again lead the way to try to get Ombudsman issue on ballot to eliminate office from the Charter).

Expenses must fall into line with income, but I disagree on the Ombudsman. If the office goes away, where will citizens go with complaints? An independant office without axes to grind or turf to protect is needed.

[
quote:
Bottomline, I serve the 8th Ward in the city of Flint. I try my best to address / resolve the many concerns that arise. While I may not agree with everything administration does, it is my obligation to collaborate and communicate with administration on what the needs of the 8th ward are - that is what I was elected to do. The alternative is to not communicate with administration at all like some council members. That makes no sense. That only hurts the citizens of the city not their councilmember By the executive branch and legislative branch not communicating, the long term viability of our community suffers. Think about if Congress never communicated with the President, everything would be stagnate and nothing would get accomplished. I will continue to communicate with my constituents when they contact me. I will continue to work with administation to resolve the many concerns of the city, especially the 8th Ward - no matter what list that gets me on!

I am so fed up with those that fight the administration at every turn simply because they dislike the person in office. If the Mayor proposed giving 10 million dollars of his own money to avoid laying off police & fire personnel, some council members would oppose it. This has to stop. People have to quit acting like spoiled kids & start doing what they were elected to do. It's long past time to quit bickering & get on with doing what's best for the citizens of Flint.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:41 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Demeralda schreef:
I give you credit for coming on here, though I'm surprised. Why do you care about what we think?

Maybe because, as an elected official, it's part of his job?

quote:
There is a difference, however, between "communicating" and "collaborating". I think everyone can agree you need to communicate, but achieving collaboration shouldn't be the most important goal always, either. Sometimes you DO have to fight, and shouldn't give it up when it is expedient to do so.

So compromising is out of the question? Not all situations can be 100% win. Sometimes you have to take the best deal you can get, and move on. Or, is it better to make sure nothing is accomplished unless it's 100% the way you want it?

quote:
I'm very disappointed about this Neithercut situation. I want to understand why he was legally entitled to put himself in the middle. I want to know why everyone thought it was settled when it wasn't.

I don't know about legalities, but someone had to something.

quote:
Ananich felt he was violating the Open Meetings act. Why wasn't EVERYONE worried about it?

Did you read the Journal article? Kincaid, for one, consulted with a lawyer & was told there was no violation.

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:47 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

I am so fed up with those that fight the administration at every turn simply because they dislike the person in office. If the Mayor proposed giving 10 million dollars of his own money to avoid laying off police & fire personnel, some council members would oppose it. This has to stop. People have to quit acting like spoiled kids & start doing what they were elected to do. It's long past time to quit bickering & get on with doing what's best for the citizens of Flint.

I would agree with the frustration... having sat as a Councilperson and now as a regular ole citizen I realize that what is an issue for one side is simply viewed as bickering on the other side and vice versa.... But what is troubling to me is that some folks can only see things from one angle.... The Mayor has been very effective at making the Council look like fools (and this includes when I served)... and certainly the Council has done much to help him... but take what happened at the last Council meeting... The two sides had appointed folks to serve as negotiators... they came to an agreement - then the Mayor simply refuses to send the Resolution up to be acted upon... Why? Teh Charter mandates that only the Administration can intiate budget amendments... the Judge said the the Council's budget is in effect... so what was gained by the Mayor simply refusing to follow protocol? Government is not supposed to work like this.... Follow the events in Zimbabwe... if you read articles about what Mugabe has done there - getting folks elected to Parliament to change the Constitution to allow for another term for example... and you would swear it was about Flint only with the names changed to protect the innocent... Our community has so much potential but running it like the Beverly Hillbillies is not going to move us to the next level....
Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I don't know why you bait me.

He doesn't need to care what WE think because *WE* are not his f'ing constituents. Is that hard to understand, Dave? Try *real* hard.

You also don't read too well:

I said that collaboration shouldn't ALWAYS be the most important goal. Read that? Let me do it again: ALWAYS. That means that *SOME OF THE TIME* there should be. Were any of those words too big?

You don't know about legalities, but you're going to make an asinine comment on it anyway. Well done.

The article ALSO SAID, now read REALLY CAREFULLY:

Concerned that the meetings with the mayor would violate open meetings laws, Councilman Jim Ananich declined to attend.

Ananich said his attorney advised him against attending, indicating that the meetings could be considered a round robin violation.
"The public needs to know what we're doing. It's their money," Ananich said.

Unbelievable.

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:38 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

HEY you pickin on Dave??? dont forget hes gonna be taking the photos at your little get together and Im sure he knows how to take an unflattering picture. Shocked Laughing

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:11 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

He just pissed me off today. I'm over it Razz

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:39 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Demeralda schreef:

He doesn't need to care what WE think because *WE* are not his f'ing constituents. Is that hard to understand, Dave? Try *real* hard.

Some of his constituents may read this forum. Even if you are not one of his constituents you might know someone in his ward or even in his dad'd district.

In addition I think you were one of Ehren's constituents in the past and perhaps he will try and represent you again on the Mott Community College board of regents.
Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:10 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Ehren's no longer on that Board; Sally Shaheen won the last election.
Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:42 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Demeralda schreef:

You also don't read too well:

I said that collaboration shouldn't ALWAYS be the most important goal. Read that? Let me do it again: ALWAYS. That means that *SOME OF THE TIME* there should be. Were any of those words too big?

You don't know about legalities, but you're going to make an asinine comment on it anyway. Well done.

The article ALSO SAID, now read REALLY CAREFULLY:

Concerned that the meetings with the mayor would violate open meetings laws, Councilman Jim Ananich declined to attend.

Ananich said his attorney advised him against attending, indicating that the meetings could be considered a round robin violation.
"The public needs to know what we're doing. It's their money," Ananich said.

Unbelievable.

Read what you want into it; I couldn't care less.

That article ALSO said that Kincaid's lawyer did not believe there would be a violation.

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:11 am 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

[quote="Ryan Eashoo"] Here's DonWatcher's watch list
Posted by Andrew Heller | The Flint Journal June 20, 2008 20:26PM
Categories: Andy's Random Blog Thoughts -- Enter at your own risk
Bloggers: A few of you had trouble finding the post about Don Williamson that I referenced in today's column, so I thought I'd pull it up and highlight it in its own file. -- andy

Posted by DonWatcher on 06/14/08 at 3:56PM

For those who are paying attention, it may be interesting to keep track of how many local politcos and candidates this year have ties to Don Williamson. A casual observer might get the impression that the Mayor is trying to control, not just Flint, but Genesee County as well.

Here is a starting point. Other bloggers may know of others as well.

County Commissioner Archie Bailey
County Commissioner Jamie Curtis
Register of Deeds Candidate Tina Conley / Rose Bogardus/Diana Kelly
Register of Deeds Candidate Frances Cleaves
County Commission Candidate Arthur Busch
County Commission Candidate James Cole
State Representative Lee Gonzales
State Representative Candidate Richard Dicks, Jr.
Flint Township Supervisor Doug Carlton
Flint Township Clerk Kim Courts
Flint Township Treasurer Sandra Wright

And, of course, there is:

Ken McArdle former Williamson Campaign Manager now campaign manager for Candidate for Register of Deeds Rose Bogardus

And, not to forget, the three sycophants on Flint City Council:

Flint City Councilman Ehren Gonzales
Flint City Councilwoman Sandy Hill
Flint City Councilman Kerry Nelson

Let the voters beware that they may unknowingly be doing the Don's bidding when they vote for other offices this year.
[/quote

How about Ryan Eashoo- Flint Historic Commission? appointed by DON
Final deciding vote in demolition of historic houses built by Dort in the cultural center?
Also a candidate for Register of Deeds.

Peace,
RAP

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:44 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: