FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Barack may have to come clean.

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Obama backs away from McCain's debate challenge

Email this Story

Aug 2, 8:37 PM (ET)

By DOUGLASS K. DANIEL

WASHINGTON (AP) - Democratic candidate Barack Obama on Saturday backed away from rival John McCain's challenge for a series of joint appearances, agreeing only to the standard three debates in the fall.

In May, when a McCain adviser proposed a series of pre-convention appearances at town hall meetings, Obama said, "I think that's a great idea." In summer stumping on the campaign trail, McCain has often noted that Obama had not followed through and joined him in any events.

Obama's reversal on town hall debates is part of a play-it-safe strategy he's adopted since claiming the nomination and grabbing a lead in national polls. Advisers to the Illinois senator, speaking on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to discuss strategy, say Obama is reluctant to take chances or give McCain a high-profile stage now that Obama's the front-runner. Laughing

On Saturday, in a letter to the Commission on Presidential Debates, Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said the short period between the last political convention and the first proposed debate made it likely that the commission-sponsored debates would be the only ones.

"We've committed to the three debates on the table," campaign spokeswoman Jen Psaki said Saturday in an interview. "It's likely they will be the three appearances by the candidates this fall."

Asked by The Associated Press if that meant Obama would not agree to any other debates, Psaki said, "We're not saying that." She said the McCain campaign had rejected Obama's proposal for two joint town hall meetings.

McCain's campaign disparaged Obama for backing off. McCain has not yet formally agreed to the commission-sponsored debates, but the McCain campaign says he plans to.

"We understand it might be beneath a worldwide celebrity of Barack Obama's magnitude to appear at town hall meetings alongside John McCain and directly answer questions from the American people, but we hope he'll reconsider," spokesman Brian Rogers said.

The first debate planned by the commission is set for Sept. 26 in Oxford, Miss., three weeks after the Republican National Convention concludes Sept. 4. The Democratic convention is scheduled for Aug. 25-28.

The other presidential debates are set for Oct. 7 and Oct. 15 and the vice presidential debate for Oct. 2.

A day after Obama clinched the Democratic nomination in early June, McCain challenged Obama to a series of 10 town hall meetings. The candidates' campaigns began negotiations, telling reporters that they agreed in spirit to joint appearances.

When the idea first came up from the McCain campaign that May, Obama was still battling Hillary Rodham Clinton for the Democratic nomination. Obama said then: "Obviously, we would have to think through the logistics on that, but ... if I have the opportunity to debate substantive issues before the voters with John McCain, that's something that I am going to welcome."

In June, Plouffe had suggested Obama-McCain meetings more along the lines of the historic Lincoln-Douglas debates. During Abraham Lincoln's Senate campaign against Stephen Douglas in 1858, the candidates met seven times across Illinois. One spoke for an hour, the other for an hour and a half, and the first was allowed a half-hour rebuttal.

Plouffe said Saturday that Rep. Rahm Emanuel of Illinois will be Obama's representative in further discussions with the commission.

The Commission on Presidential Debates, established in 1987, sponsors and produces debates featuring the presidential and vice presidential candidates of the major parties. The nonprofit and nonpartisan organization has sponsored all the presidential debates since 1988.

---

Associated Press writers Mike Glover in Orlando, Fla., and Ron Fournier in Washington contributed to this report.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:29 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Another Reason not to vote for that guy

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Sorry, only "debates" where the questions are known in advance so answers can be scripted.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Twotap, you found punditkitchen?! Ain't it great?! Smile Smile

edited first time to add photo of Kerry, edited second time because it didn't take.....OY!!

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:37 pm 
strattonsigns
F L I N T O I D

Why wouldn't he want to debate? His followers will only hear what they want to hear anyways?
Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:15 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

My understanding is that he's happy to debate, but won't agree to McCain's 100% desire for the town hall format.

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:10 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Let Rush moderate the debates.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

Nah, Rush doesn't like to be in any studio where he doesn't have complete control over what is said. He never has guests who oppose him unless they are willing to play the straw man role, his callers are screened well enough so they're either ditto-heads fools, he is incapable of being in a situation where he doesn't have complete control. It seems like a third of his show consists of him repeating key phrases over and over like he is killing time for the next commercial.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:37 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Rush invited Al Gore, Kerry, Hillary and he has a standing invite to the Messiah who you can bet your ass would never attempt a one on one with Rush where it could be aired for all to hear. Try actually listening to his show once in a while before ya blabber what you know nothing about. Laughing
Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:28 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Kevin McKague schreef:
Nah, Rush doesn't like to be in any studio where he doesn't have complete control over what is said. He never has guests who oppose him unless they are willing to play the straw man role, his callers are screened well enough so they're either ditto-heads fools, he is incapable of being in a situation where he doesn't have complete control. It seems like a third of his show consists of him repeating key phrases over and over like he is killing time for the next commercial.

Sounds like Obama.

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:18 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: