FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Reform Michigan Now? Really?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
andi03
F L I N T O I D

I saw Ted's posting at mlive and thought that I would take his lead in posting this for everyone to see.

This is the verbiage for "reforming" Michigan.

http://www.reformmichigangovernmentnow.com/Portals/17/rmgn_initiative.pdf

7 pages, .pdf format.

Here is Flint Journal article for a meeting that Mark Brewer will be having this Tues.....in a church? Why the hell a church, why not a secular setting....oy.

http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/08/state_democratic_party_chairma.html

Whether or not you agree with it, I won't question people's intellectual capacities by linking blogs and the like. I printed the damn thing off and will be going over it with a fine tooth comb...and attending on Tues!!!

edited to add link to fj article about meeting venue....that is if the editing of page showed up on bottom....oy.

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:22 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I'm wondering after glancing over the amendment. If they are looking for our input or just plan on doing as they did with the State Primary debacle and RAMING it down our throats.
Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

To tell you the truth? After working as a Precinct Chair at this year's elections and maintaining a modicum of objectivity and biting my tongue for 16 hours while working the Primary? Having to listen to voters' disgust and all that I can say to them is "Call your Legislator?" I am seething.

Seething, that a man that hosed MY vote and anyone else's that voted for the Democratic Party in the Presidential Primary would be construed as trustworthy enough to present such ideas. Ideas that are formed and presented in order to change the Constitution of Michigan.

Does the Democratic Party of Michigan think that WE, registered Democrats of Michigan are that stupid to trust him again? He represents MY party?

The Preamble to the Democratic Platform can be found here:

http://www.michigandems.com/files/2006Platform.pdf

"The Michigan Democratic Party believes that government must be open, honest, responsive and accountable to the people it serves. All citizens should have the freedom and the opportunity to rise as high as their talents and initiative will allow."

Evidently, by Mr. Brewer's decision to thwart my vote earlier this year cancels out the mission of MY party. Hell, he wasn't held accountable for the voting debacle and the date....was he?! Pushing the proverbial envelope and negating people's time by standing in line to vote, on a date that HE, Mr. Brewer pushed forward without thinking about the unintended consequences.....No delegates in Colorado.

This quote is found in the 4th paragraph of the platform for the Democratic Party in Michigan...still noted under section one of the preamble:

"That is why Democrats in this state are seeking the Common Good – the best life for each person of this state. The orphan. The family. The sick. The healthy. The wealthy. The poor. The citizen. The stranger. The first. The last."

Doesn't this give you warm fuzzies. Seeking out the "common good" by negating half of Michigan's votes!!!! And we are supposed to trust him to revamp our voting measures as stated in this reform package? Feh!!!

And yes, I'll admit that I am going through the theological "Dark Night" and all, but to tout this reform in a religious venue?! Democrats? I can see Republicans doing this, but this takes the cake. I am sure that there are a plethora of secular venues that would certainly reduce their fees to accommodate this speech.

<rant off>

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:04 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Thank you for pointing this out. I found this pretty interesting.

C. Restore faith in the integrity and performance of government
Often government is stacked in favor of special interests, the wealthy and powerful and against the will of the people. If we are to rebuild faith and support for our public institutions we must be committed to substantive election, ethics and campaign reform and demonstrate that the public can expect and get access, integrity, honest leadership, open government and accountability.

Where were these DEMOCRATIC Leaders when they bowed before the Special INterests of AT&T and voted to dismantle Public Access Television?
Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:54 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Aren't you Dems aware that the party elites know what's best and you're supposed to quietly do their bidding? It's all about power, folks. You carry on about Bush, Cheney, Rove, et.al., but say nothing about the power hungry dictators of your own party. How much stock in large corporations do the Dem elites hold? You demonize Exxon, etc., but are silent about George Soros. All they want from you is your vote, your contributions, and your silent obedience. The government of the people, by the people and for the people is long gone.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:28 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Aren't you Dems aware that the party elites know what's best and you're supposed to quietly do their bidding? It's all about power, folks. You carry on about Bush, Cheney, Rove, et.al., but say nothing about the power hungry dictators of your own party. How much stock in large corporations do the Dem elites hold? You demonize Exxon, etc., but are silent about George Soros. All they want from you is your vote, your contributions, and your silent obedience. The government of the people, by the people and for the people is long gone.

Hey Dave, I fell off of my soapbox........do you have an Ace Bandage I could use? Smile

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:44 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Sorry. Lots of Bandaids, but no Ace bandage. I have to get some linament, too. My back's really sore from digging the hole for our pond. 11 x 14 x 3 ft hole with a pick & shovel.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:46 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
To tell you the truth? After working as a Precinct Chair at this year's elections and maintaining a modicum of objectivity and biting my tongue for 16 hours while working the Primary? Having to listen to voters' disgust and all that I can say to them is "Call your Legislator?" I am seething.

Seething, that a man that hosed MY vote and anyone else's that voted for the Democratic Party in the Presidential Primary would be construed as trustworthy enough to present such ideas. Ideas that are formed and presented in order to change the Constitution of Michigan. <rant off>

If it makes you feel better you don't have a right to vote in the presidential primary anyways. I think we'd be better off if we moved a closed caucus primary. Precinct delegates are more informed than typical voters who only know what the media tells them. If the Ron Paul wing is able to take over we may not be having a presidential primary in Michigan 2012.

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:51 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

How about a National primary day - all parties on the same ballot, top 2 in the November election.

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:33 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

*****C. Restore faith in the integrity and performance of government
Often government is stacked in favor of special interests,*****

Hey Ted.....how ironic, eh?

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:53 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Sorry. Lots of Bandaids, but no Ace bandage. I have to get some linament, too. My back's really sore from digging the hole for our pond. 11 x 14 x 3 ft hole with a pick & shovel.

Did you mine your own steel too? For the pick and the shovel heads that is....<sarcasm> Way to go!!!!

I had to see the doctor last week just for using a hoe all week......excuse me......"yard implement". Smile

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:55 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

*****If it makes you feel better you don't have a right to vote in the presidential primary anyways. I think we'd be better off if we moved a closed caucus primary. Precinct delegates are more informed than typical voters who only know what the media tells them. If the Ron Paul wing is able to take over we may not be having a presidential primary in Michigan 2012.******

Do I sense a little bit of political elitism, by the attitude that "regular" voters should not vote?

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:56 pm 
Marko Rollo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Aren't you Dems aware that the party elites know what's best and you're supposed to quietly do their bidding? <<snip>>

Dave, I would respectfully disagree. The fact that Andi, an evidently active Dem, would challenge her leadership in front of Reps on this forum speaks to the strength of her party, not its weakness.

Nancy says impeachment is off the table, and Dennis collects 100K signatures anyway...this doesn't sound like lockstep to me.

Any Reps want to vent against their party leadership? It might be cathartic...
Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
quote:
Dave Starr schreef:

Did you mine your own steel too? For the pick and the shovel heads that is....<sarcasm> Way to go!!!!

I had to see the doctor last week just for using a hoe all week......excuse me......"yard implement". Smile

I didn't make the steel, but I heat the end of a hoe & bend it so it'll work better for scraping the bottom of the hole smooth.
I'm only good for 5 or 6 wheelbarrow loads a day, so it's going slowly. I should be ready to pour the concrete footings for the pond walls in a couple of weeks. I'm not looking forward to mixing and pouring 50 80 pound bags of concrete mix. After that, it'll be building the block walls - about 200 cement blocks.

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:01 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
*****If it makes you feel better you don't have a right to vote in the presidential primary anyways. I think we'd be better off if we moved a closed caucus primary. Precinct delegates are more informed than typical voters who only know what the media tells them. If the Ron Paul wing is able to take over we may not be having a presidential primary in Michigan 2012.******

Do I sense a little bit of political elitism, by the attitude that "regular" voters should not vote?

Maybe. Regular voters are very unedcucated. Even precinct delegates are fairly uneducated. I study a lot of stuff online but I even probably only know half the stuff our government is doing. How can you make an informed decision when you don't know what your government is even doing? If you think I'm elitist take this into consideration

Most Americans don't even know how our political system works.
Most Americans don't know how our financial system works.
Most Americans have little understanding of the constitution.
Most Americans have very little understanding of foreign policy.

Precinct delegates may not be much better but I think the political parties should make the best effort to put the best candidate on the November ballot. I think the primary system failed so I see no reason for Michigan not to switch to a convention in 2012 which we almost did this year but you probably didn't know that either.

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:22 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: