FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: The Reason Flint Parks Suck!!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

The charter amendment creating a Parks Board to develop and control the city's public parks and playgrounds was requested to Council by J. Dallas Dort in August 1906. The city voted it in and the amendment was approved by legislature on April 12, 1907. Until his death in 1926, Dort "Father of the Park System" donated land for parks, boulevards and recreational areas.

On November 5, 1974, a new charter was adopted by the people of Flint allowing the mayor to review the status of each existing board within on year of the effective date of the charter. On June 30, 1976, Mayor James W. Rutherford recommended to the Council that the Flint Recreation and Park Board be discontinued and the organization became a department of the City, ending nearly 70 years of the Board's existence. Now its apart of the City of Flint's control and lack of maintence.

Is it just me or should we go back to the old system?

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Marko Rollo
F L I N T O I D

Interesting idea. Here's another thought while we're brainstorming. The city is broke. Why not consider giving 5, 10, or 20 year leases to private companies and allow them to advertise, charge fees, etc. in exchange for maintenance? give the city some time to catch its breath, then get the parks back when Flint can afford them...

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
The charter amendment creating a Parks Board to develop and control the city's public parks and playgrounds was requested to Council by J. Dallas Dort in August 1906. The city voted it in and the amendment was approved by legislature on April 12, 1907. Until his death in 1926, Dort "Father of the Park System" donated land for parks, boulevards and recreational areas.

On November 5, 1974, a new charter was adopted by the people of Flint allowing the mayor to review the status of each existing board within on year of the effective date of the charter. On June 30, 1976, Mayor James W. Rutherford recommended to the Council that the Flint Recreation and Park Board be discontinued and the organization became a department of the City, ending nearly 70 years of the Board's existence. Now its apart of the City of Flint's control and lack of maintence.

Is it just me or should we go back to the old system?

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:07 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: