FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: How ya betting on this one

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Ill bet when the sun rises over motown on the 4th that Kwame will still be the dictator. Just going by what I have seen in the past. Hope I am wrong but than again who really gives a rats ass.

Mich. governor to decide fate of Detroit mayor
Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:11 AM EDT
The Associated Press
By COREY WILLIAMS and ED WHITE Associated Press Writers

DETROIT (AP) — Gov. Jennifer Granholm's office said Tuesday she will hold a historic hearing next week to decide whether Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick should be removed from office.

Granholm turned down a request by Kilpatrick's lawyers to stop the process, and her office posted an order confirming the Sept. 3 hearing.

The date had been proposed for weeks, but the Democratic governor still had the right to scratch it.

Kilpatrick, 38, once a rising star in the Democratic Party, is charged with 10 felonies in two criminal cases. But the most immediate threat to his political future is Granholm's constitutional authority to remove an elected official from office for misconduct.

Kilpatrick's attorney, Sharon McPhail, had asked Granholm to "decline to join the lynch mob." After the governor's decision was announced, she said she was "very disappointed" and vowed to present evidence "that proves the mayor did not misuse public funds for personal gain."

In its request for the hearing, the Detroit City Council accused the mayor of misleading it into approving an $8.4 million settlement with three fired police officers.

The council claims it was "hush money" to keep the lid on text messages that revealed a romantic relationship between the mayor and a top aide, Christine Beatty.

Attorneys for the council and the mayor can call witnesses at the hearing, which will be held in Detroit. Granholm will be assisted by Gregory Holiday, a state administrative law judge.

McPhail called the council's petition "factually inadequate and politically motivated." But the council's attorney, William Goodman, said failing to act now would condone corrupt behavior by public officials.

Sexually explicit text messages between Kilpatrick and Beatty, published by the Detroit Free Press in January, contradict their denial of an affair, a key point in the trial last year involving a former deputy police chief.
Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:38 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

"Off with his head", said the Queen.

Or, she'll give him a free pass, since they're both Dems, & he's obviously a victim of an evil Republican, racist plot.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I think that's a big assumption, Dave. I think he's nailed.

Question: Can't they just hold some kind of no confidence election? Could she initiate a recall election? How long would it take for a voter recall, 30 days? Where is that option?

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:30 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

There was a recall campaign started, but the guy that initiated it didn't live in the city. I haven't heard of any other recall being started.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: