FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: MI Proposal 2 pros-cons

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

www.stemcellresearchformichigan.com

I tried to go to michigan cure with no luck.

trying to get fair information on the State ballot issue?
can't read the small print on who is behind NO on Prop 2.

Please wiegh in... with info both for and against MI Prop 2- 2008

Really touchy subject.
Peace,
RAP

Post Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:31 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

August 30, 2008

Embryonic stem-cell research needs state voters' approval BY MERRITT K. TAYLOR

I research adult stem cells, and my family here in West Michigan believes life begins at conception. Over dinner, we've had many conversations about the vital role embryonic stem-cell research plays in the search for therapies and cures for diabetes, Parkinson's disease, recovery from spinal cord damage and more.

On Nov. 4, Michigan voters will be asked to support Proposal 2, the expansion of embryonic stem cell research. I hope my family understands that easing Michigan's restrictions is critical to identify therapies and cures for devastating diseases afflicting our friends, family and neighbors.

Opponents of the proposal claim adult stem cells already are being used to treat 73 diseases. In 40 years of adult stem-cell research, only a handful of treatments have won federal approval.

I was a researcher at the University of Michigan for six years in one of the top stem-cell biology labs in the world before I came to teach and do research at Grand Valley State University. Whenever there is a discovery, such as researchers finding skin cells can be reprogrammed to behave like stem cells, my family asks me whether embryonic stem-cell research still is necessary.

The answer is yes. Each therapeutic approach -- whether using embryonic, adult or other types of stem cells -- poses significant challenges to researchers before they can be safely used in people. Each disease offers different challenges that may be overcome using one type of stem cell therapy, but not another. We simply don't know which therapeutic approach will work for different diseases.

The ballot measure would give Michigan parents who use in-vitro fertilization the option of donating excess embryos for medical research instead of having them discarded as medical waste. In most states, including Ohio and Wisconsin, parents have this choice.

The measure also specifically prohibits the buying and selling of embryos. In effect, it strengthens Michigan's cloning ban.

Any research done in Michigan would be required to meet strict federal guidelines. This ballot proposal opens up research for Michigan scientists; it does not open up the rules governing that research.

I've seen talented scientists leave Michigan or abandon their research and go to states that recognize the importance of embryonic stem cell research. When we limit the ability to discover cures and treatment, we effectively deprive terminally ill patients of hope.

In November, members of my family who believe life begins at conception face a moral dilemma. In a society that routinely uses in-vitro fertilization and considers it a life-giving practice, embryos are being discarded. Do they vote to continue throwing those embryos away, or do they vote to use them to potentially alleviate human suffering and save lives?

Nationally-known conservatives, including former First Lady Nancy Reagan, U.S. Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah and presidential candidate John McCain, have concluded that supporting embryonic stem cell research is in fact the pro-life position. Confronted with the suffering of millions of people with devastating diseases, our moral imperative is to help them.

Merritt K. Taylor is an assistant professor of biomedical sciences and cell and molecular biology at Grand Valley State University.

Post Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:59 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

STATE OF MICHIGAN STATEWIDE BALLOT PROPOSAL STATUS NOVEMBER 4, 2008 GENERAL ELECTION STATEWIDE PROPOSALS
QUALIFIED TO APPEAR ON NOVEMBER 4,
2008 GENERAL ELECTION BALLOT

COALITION FOR COMPASSIONATE CARE:
Initiative petition approved as to form June 6, 2007; signatures filed November 20, 2007; petition determined sufficient March 3, 2008; proposal language certified to State Legislature March 3, 2008;
40-day consideration period reserved for State Legislature elapsed April 12, 2008.
Purpose: Legislative initiative to allow under state law the medical use of marihuana. Contact: Michigan Coalition for Compassionate Care, P.O. Box 20489, Ferndale, Michigan 48220. Dianne Byrum (517) 333-1606.

STEM CELL RESEARCH: Initiative petition approved as to form February 4, 2008; signatures filed July 7, 2008; petition determined sufficient August 21, 2008.
Purpose: Proposed constitutional amendment to permit with certain limitations stem cell research in Michigan. Contact: Stem Cell Research BQC, P.O. Box 20216, Lansing, Michigan 48901. Mark Burton (517) 974-4004.

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:16 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: