FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Keys to the City
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Mayor Don Williamson is calling the keys a "good investment."
What do American Idol star Lakisha Jones, public television producer Paul Herring and community volunteer Helen Chazick have in common?

They all hold keys to the city of Flint.
"I was amazed. I never expected it," Chazick said.
The 89-year-old Chazick has volunteered at the Flint Police Department's east side mini-station for more than a decade.
Herring earned the key after he organized an event celebrating African-American independence.
"It told us someone appreciated what we were doing," he said.
But an ABC12 investigation has found Jones, Herring and Chazick aren't the only intended recipients. Records we obtained through the Freedom of Information Act show the city has bought at least 200 keys in the past year alone, and at $30 apiece.
That means taxpayers are footing the $6,000 bill for the ceremonial gifts. And, according to invoices, the keys came from a Mount Morris Township pawn shop owned by Williamson's wife, Patsy Lou Williamson.
Two checks are dated Jan. 31 and June 19 of this year, and are signed by the city treasurer and the director of finance.
They were each made out for $3,000, which is the maximum city payment allowed without council approval.
How does the mayor justify that?
"First of all, you buy them at the cheapest place you can buy them," Williamson said.
We checked. A quick Google search popped up comparable keys for $9. A display case was a few dollars extra. Still, we found similar products for less than half the price.
"I think it's a tradition. All cities do that. If you notice, I take no salary," Williamson said.
"I do have an expense account and they do go to the residents of the city of Flint. I think it's a very good investment."
"This is another way of raping and robbing the city, simple as that," said Flint City Councilwoman Jackie Poplar.
Poplar has been locked in a six-month-long budget battle with the mayor. This summer, nearly 50 police officers were laid off.
This week, roughly 20 were demoted.
"These people are dying up in here," Poplar said. "They have no jobs. Crime is everywhere. And we're throwing away money."
None of the council members we approached this week knew about the key purchases.
"No, I didn't know that. That needs to be bid out just like everything else," said Flint City Councilman Delrico Loyd.
"That seems like wasteful spending, especially when we're in such a budget crunch," said Flint City Councilwoman Sandy Hill.
Mott Community College political analyst Prof. Paul Rozycki calls the spending "questionable" at best.
"The dollar amount is not the big problem, but the symbolism of it all," Rozycki said.
"Patsy Lou owning it, the city money going there for the city keys -- sometimes symbols can be more important than the dollar value."
We wanted to ask Jones what she thought of her "symbol." But a spokesman said she wasn't available.
Chazick says she appreciates hers -- to a point.
"Well, I don't know too much about how things run at City Hall. It does bother me about police officers being laid off," she said.
Herring did, too, until we told him how much it cost.
"You give everyone a key, then having a key to the city really doesn't mean anything," he said.
We also found a city ordinance that requires the purchasing director notify council in writing whenever a supplier is paid more than than $3,000 in any fiscal year.
But due to budget cuts, that position is now vacant.
Click here for more Mid-Michigan and Flint news

(Copyright ©2008 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:18 am 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

I don't know about other key recipients but I know Helen.
She has worked tirelessly for the community for 50 years.
In the last 10 she has worked for free at the eastside police mini-station.
20 hours per week at least. She is always on time and there to answer phones and direct calls to appropriate offices.

Her good friend and past cohort in community good deeds has a pavilion in Kearsly park named in her honor.

A $30 dollar key is a small price to pay to honor Helen.
[img][/img]

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:56 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

I bet you $5.00 that the community and or the people that volunteer with her would in a heartbeat donate some money to raise 30 dollars to acquire the key in a, shall we say....non tainted manner. I am surprised actually that Flint doesn't partake in Volunteers In Police Service aka VIP'S, hours tracked will give yearly volunteer service more recognition and this helps maintain the volunteer's positive attitudes.

I am sure that she deserves it quite a bit!!! I hope to be that spunky when I am "that age". Smile

But there goes "The Don" again espousing that fact that he doesn't take a salary so everything is "kosher" and pushing the envelope of ethical business matters...are we surprised? That's rhetorical....

The only thing that is worth noting in that article is the tireless efforts of Mrs. Chazick!!!

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:58 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Andi, ever heard of the Flint Police Volunteers?

Should our block club return the key we were given?

Should the 2 sons of one of our neighbors return the keys they were given by Jackie Poplar to honor their years of service in the Army?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:06 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Hell no...Dave....I am just saddened that Don feels the need to compromise his ethics with the city to benefit his and Patsy's bottom dollar...sigh.

No I am not aware of your jurisidiction's volunteer organizations. Smile

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:10 am 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Andi, ever heard of the Flint Police Volunteers?

Should our block club return the key we were given?

Should the 2 sons of one of our neighbors return the keys they were given by Jackie Poplar to honor their years of service in the Army?

Perhaps your block club should consider giving the key back. You and your block club should also reexamine the reasons that you support the mayor. I don't think that your block club should agree with possessing an overpriced ceremonial key that was purchased from the mayor's wife using methods that obviously circumvent the check and balance system put in place for the city. The members of your block club would probably rather have an adequate police department in place to protect them rather than knowing that they are being protected by 200 citizens carrying keys to the city. Your block club could be a leader and stand up for what is right and let the mayor know that support can no longer be purchased.
Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:06 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

What about the other 2 keys I mentioned?
The one given to our block club was in recognition of the work we put into making this block a nice place to live.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:27 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
The one given to our block club was in recognition of the work we put into making this block a nice place to live.

Big picture Dave.... try to look at the big picture.
Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:

I think maybe they should give them back as well. The facts surrounding the purchase of the keys is the discussion point, not why someone received a key. There are thousands of people in the city who have worked hard to make their block a nice place to live. Should the mayor continue to purchase overpriced keys from his wife until all of these people get one? I have no problem giving keys to the city away to worthy people if the city if not millions of dollars in debt and the keys are not purchased from the mayors wife in a fraudulent manner. Unnecessary, overpriced purchases like this are the reason that the mayor has put the city on such poor financial ground leading to a ridiculous amounts of layoffs and demotions in the police department. Like I said before, I hope you feel safer with 200 key carrying citizens than you would with an adequate police department.
Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:49 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Actually, I feel quite safe with the 45 on my hip.
As far as the 2 other keys, you'll have to go to Fort Bragg to try to persuade the lady's sons to give them back.

Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:23 pm 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

You may feel quite safe with your beloved .45 on your hip, but what happens to the rest of your family when you're not around and some punk criminal tries to break into your home, shoot or knife a family member, rob a family member or otherwise harm someone who you care about? In that case having an adequate police department is going to be far more beneficial than your .45. Also how will your .45 help you if you are involved in an accident and there are no police to respond? You must also remember that the reaction with your .45 is far slower than the action of a criminal, therefore you have a false sense of security just because you have a gun on your hip. Having 48 more police officers on the street proactively taking guns from criminals is your best hope for safety, not uselessly spending money on keys to the city. How many traffic stops and guns have you taken from the streets using your .45? As Josh Freeman said, you need to look at the big picture!
Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:35 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

If I'm not home, my wife knows how to use the 12 gauge loaded with buckshot.
By the time anyone gets through the door, the guns are in our hands, so no slow reaction. I can have the 45 ready to go long before you can dial 911.

The police? By the time they get here, the incident's over. There have been 3 shooting incidents on our block in the last year. In every one, the perps were long gone by the time the first Tahoe got here.

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:57 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Did the first Tahoe have to wait for the second Tahoe before the police could get out?
Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:19 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Hey Dave they just dont get it do they. The cops are not obliged or required to protect anyone and are basically around to take a report after the fact dont believe me call up your local precinct and ask them if they can provide an officer to accompany you or your wife on a trip to a mall or downtown. See what they say.

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:27 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

A lot of people mistakenly think the police are there to protect them. Their job is to catch the bad guys AFTER the crime happens.

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:36 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: