FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Facts on the auto industry

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

The media keeps harping about a bailout or a gift to the automakers and how the execs all flew to Washington on private jets. Well heres some factual info on whats about to occur without the loans being made. Think Mi will survive???
http://gmfactsandfiction.com/

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:45 am 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
The media keeps harping about a bailout or a gift to the automakers and how the execs all flew to Washington on private jets. Well heres some factual info on whats about to occur without the loans being made. Think Mi will survive??? http://gmfactsandfiction.com/
Mitt Romney says today in an op-ed for the New York Times that Washington should let Detroit go bankrupt. www.nytimes.com
Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:51 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Dont get me wrong I am all for doing what it takes to keep them viable but what Mitt says does sort of make sense cause if they get the loan and dont make some huge changes whats gonna save them. The UAW better sit down with them and be prepared to kick in and kick in a lot cause the old days are gone forever.

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:01 am 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

Perhaps so, but I think he misses a couple of important points. He gives as an example of how to overhaul a company his father's work running AMC, but ignores the fact that the company went on to be purchased by Chrysler. Chrysler, you'll remember was only in a position to buy AMC because of an emergency loan it had received from Washington a few years earlier. A loan, its worth noting, that Chrysler paid back early, and with interest. Romney also mentions that Japanese employees have far lower health care costs than American workers, but doesn't mention the main real reason for that. Japan has a single-payer health care system, which shifts health care expenses from businesses to the government.
Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:56 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well I doubt if old Mitts gonna have much say in the final plan. As far as the single payer health care plan isn't that just a couple of months away??

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:26 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Romney link
Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:26 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

i tend to agree with 2tap (at this time). i hate saying this but american
automakers have screwed up by building for massive profit instead of future
needs. i say let them go into banckruptcy (a modified 11). let them continue building (to support workers), lay-off all upper management, renegotiate all labor contracts. they've got to catch up with the times.
Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:13 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/17990636/detail.html?rss=det&psp=news

"“The focus has to be on the economy as a whole as opposed to a UAW contract," Gettelfinger told reporters on a conference call, noting the labor costs now make up 8 percent to 10 percent of the cost of a vehicle."
Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:47 pm 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:
. . .The focus has to be on the economy as a whole as opposed to a UAW contract," Gettelfinger told reporters on a conference call, noting the labor costs now make up 8 percent to 10 percent of the cost of a vehicle."
There you go again Adam, cutting out a quote without putting it in proper perspective. Why is "8 to 10 percent" out of line? It seems to me the remaining percentage of the car's value would be zero if not for the labor. Let's not forget where the blame belongs when it comes to Detroit's failings, and that is with management, not labor.
Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:12 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Heres another dead on perspective.

One of the more popular shows on television these days is "Deal or No Deal." So
consider this deal: For a loan of $25 billion, you could create an industry that
would directly and indirectly create 13 million jobs, one out of every 10 in the
country; account for $690 billion of U.S. retail sales, roughly 20% of the
nation's total; provide quality health care to hundreds of thousands of workers;
become the leading purchaser of iron, steel, copper and computer chips
nationwide; and generate billions of dollars in tax revenue to federal, state
and local governments.

Would the loan be worth the reward? This is what Detroit's Big Three -- GM, Ford
and Chrysler -- are proposing to the federal government: a onetime, $25-billion
bridge loan, to be carved out of the already approved $700-billion Treasury
Department rescue package. In other words, the deal would involve no new costs
to taxpayers. To safeguard the investment, conditions would be placed on the
automakers, including guaranteeing the government an equity stake in the
companies.

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:38 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

How can you bail out the banking industry who have never created or built a thing to drive the economy. Yet not bail out a company that has employed more people than any other business EVER?

Now, the US Auto makers have for years just blown money and literally thrown it out the window. They have purposely (FOR YEARS) been designing cars to fail. Building in "planned obsolesce" Continued to build cars that are UGLY, designed poorly. Thus the reason Toyota and Honda have kicked their butts.

The Honda odyssey Mini Van was far more comfortable and family friendly than any other US made mini van. Simple things like placement of drink holders, or how the seat belts are positioned so they don’t get caught in the door, or how much head room the driver has how the driver seat can actually be adjusted for tall or short people.

US automakers say, We designed it for the soccer mom, she is on average 5 ft 9in and usually has children. So we threw in some kid friendly things.

Honda sat back and said who will be driving this van. Let’s design it so everyone will fit. Oh and while we are at it. Let’s build right into the van some of those accessories that family’s need. A pull down window visor for the baby in the back seats that fit the window so the family doesn’t have to buy a cheap stick on one. Or the passengers may be different sizes so let’s put in accessory plugs for the passengers and then multiple drink holders. Not everyone likes their drink holder in the arm rest underneath their wrist. OH and if you need to use the third seating bench, let’s design it so an adult can actually comfortably get in the rear side door and step into the back.

Then if you want to talk about what the workers are paid. Hmmm, let me mention a discussion I had with a UAW leader. He said they supported this latest contract with pay decreases in order to come in line with the Japanese model. Interesting. The Japanese model would call for the workers making more than they are now to keep up with the Japanese are making. And all the executives to take massive pay cuts. The Japanese executives do not make multimillion dollar salary’s. IN Japan the majority of the work force hold most of the country’s wealth. IN the US the politicians and executives hold most of the nation’s wealth.
Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: