FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Recession/Depression

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

I predict depression.

Signs Point To Harder Times

Businesses cut prices at a record rate and builders started fewer new homes last month than anytime on record, according to new government data, as the outlook for the economy continues to dim.

The data helped spur another terrible day for the stock market, as did a projection of more hard times ahead by leaders of the Federal Reserve. A serious recession now appears all but assured.

Jobless claims jump unexpectedly to 16-year high

WASHINGTON – New claims for unemployment benefits jumped last week to a 16-year high, the Labor Department said Thursday, providing more evidence of a rapidly weakening job market expected to get even worse next year.

The government said new applications for jobless benefits rose to a seasonally adjusted 542,000 from a downwardly revised figure of 515,000 in the previous week. That's much higher than Wall Street economists' expectations of 505,000, according to a survey by Thomson Reuters.

That is also the highest level of claims since July 1992, the department said, when the U.S. economy was coming out of a recession.

The four-week average of claims, which smooths out fluctuations, was even worse: it rose to 506,500, the highest in more than 25 years.

In addition, the number of people continuing to claim unemployment insurance rose sharply for the third straight week to more than 4 million, the highest since December 1982, when the economy was in a painful recession.

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:02 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

This is a crazy world we live in today, everything changed after Sept 11th!

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

an amazon employee told me just 2 hours ago the warehouse here in
las vegas has laid off half their employees and severly cut the hours
of the remaining. he also said their stock dropped HALF... Shocked
Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:17 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: