FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: You're in charge at GM; what would you do?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

You're the number one boss with unlimited power. What would you do?
NOTE: Eliminating the Union requires a majority of the union members to vote to decertify the union, so It's not an option. The union will agree to eliminate the jobs bank, and will agree to some work rule changes, but these must be negotiated. So in your to-do list, put those changes as: "Negotiate with the union to allow..........".

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:42 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

1. Three divisions, Chevy, Buick & Cadillac. Low, mid & luxury pricing. Make each model distinctive, so you can tell at a glance what it is.
2. Chevy & GMC pickups are the same except for trim. Give Chevy the light duty trucks & GMC the medium & heavy duty.
3. Eliminate overlapping models. No more slightly different versions of the same basic model. Tahoe & Denali, for example.
4. Eliminate layers of management. At the plant level, there's supervisor, general supervisor, assistant superintendent & superintendent. Eliminate the general supervisor & assistant superintendents. There are more at upper levels that can be eliminated as well.
5. Negotiate with the union to stop allowing malingerers to keep their jobs. Negotiate work rule changes that have clearly defined progressive penalties - 1st offense, 3 days off without pay. 2nd offense, 30 days without pay. 3rd offense, discharge. Management will agree to apply rules fairly and not use them in a discriminatory manner. Union asked to agree not to fight blatant violations.
6. Make sure joint programs actually benefit both workers and management. They can no longer be used simply as a check box on a to-do list or resume.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:03 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I hate to say it but possibly allowing skilled trades to cross classification lines. How many times have you seen a machine staying down way too long while a machine repairman waits maybe an hour or so for an electrician to come and remove a wire or in the reverse. For the Union, sell their mutimillion dollar property at Black lake and us the proceeds to help boost the company. Its gonna have to be how best to make profits while building the best cars in the world. And oh ya promote strictly on merit and not some government mandated by race or gender formula.

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:06 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Yup. Let the repairman that's replacing a valve unhook the wiring & reconnect it to the new valve. Let the electrician tighten a loose bolt he finds instead of calling a repairman.

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:18 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Excellent list Dave but Chevy and Caddy would probably suffice. I agree get rid of the dead weight both hourly and salary.

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:43 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

damn dave, you've spent time thinking about this!!!
LOOKS GREAT!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

"race or gender merit" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

my dad was a foreman at chevrolet many years ago,
because he earned it!!! Laughing this race stuff never stops Laughing
Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:13 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Hey LT I was there and ill bet Dave was also when we saw folks getting promoted only because of ethnicity or gender. Cant do the job, no sweat someone will be along shortly to bail you out. What should have only taken one now takes two or more. Would you run a business that way????

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:41 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

1.) move the headquarters back to Flint Michigan.

2.) consolidate models

3.) Make the cars/trucks 100% American Made and market that fact.

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

i remember when that movement started and i'm sure a few were given jobs because of skin color and who they knew. the only reason i was
"allowed" a chance at an apprenticeship was because the sewage treatment plant on miller road had accepted federal money for a massive upgrade and one of the provisions stated minorities had to be represented. after testing and verbal interviews, all of which i passed i was "allowed" to partake of an apprenticeship. i am happy to say i have enjoyed my trade and all the people i've met over the years. it has allowed me to travel everywhere i've wanted to go and enjoy this beautiful planet. i am but one human being who, because of the civil rights movement and every white person who not only saw the inequities, but actually did something to correct them, that to this day some 30+ years later understands the intent of those laws were to simply allow "everyone" a chance to be a usefull american. if a few people got pissed, shit happens but also consider how many people and families became pissed at guaranteed desolation before the movement.
just my thoughts anyway Wink

while i'm at it, thank god for mel brannon and leon reaves.... now those
guys did their jobs!!!!!!!!! Wink Wink Wink
Post Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:11 am 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

Get rid of the UAW. They have run the whole program to a halt.. It doesn't make sense to make $30.00 an hour to turn a screw or push a button. The UAW was a great thing when it was created, because working conditions were so poor. Today, they are all about the money. The UAW should fold and let people work for minimum wage or a little more. This is adequate for the work that they perform.
Post Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:24 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

****You're in charge at GM; what would you do?****

Hmmm, just by answering the thread title alone...one of three things....quit and retire to Guam....join a monastery....or drink....Smile
Post Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:31 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

And your thoughts are good ones as usual LT. Very Happy

Post Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:36 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Bossman schreef:
Get rid of the UAW. They have run the whole program to a halt.. It doesn't make sense to make $30.00 an hour to turn a screw or push a button. The UAW was a great thing when it was created, because working conditions were so poor. Today, they are all about the money. The UAW should fold and let people work for minimum wage or a little more. This is adequate for the work that they perform.

Why do people always want other's pay reduced? Why not work to raise the pay of those not making decent wages? Also, why stop with the UAW? Get rid of every union in the country.

Last edited by Dave Starr on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:03 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
****You're in charge at GM; what would you do?****

Hmmm, just by answering the thread title alone...one of three things....quit and retire to Guam....join a monastery....or drink....Smile

I spent 2 weeks on Guam back in the day. You can find a much better place, maybe Bora-Bora. I've seen pictures, & it's beautiful.

Post Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:05 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

First thing I'd do is fired all their TOP engineers. Their Executives and hire people Actually qualified to do those jobs. Not people who where promoted because of the good ole boy network.

Second I'd cut out stock options.

Offer Stock in lieu of portions of pay to the workers.

We'd start building cars that actually sold! The chevette was an excellent car except for the few problems it had. Have those issues fixed.

Bring back the popular Firebird and Camero. (they always sold out and never had enough to fill demand.

This may sound like a joke. But Quality would become number one priority. The workers have fought with Management for years over the poor quality. Many have told management what problems they would run into. but because of GM's Management "GOD" complex they have refused to listen.

The whole company would move to a Supervisor less plant operations Like in Fort Wayne. When Employees don't show up for Work. The Union leaders work their jobs.

Because of new management, overtime would be cut to minimal. No more 7 days a week 12 hours a day.

GM would become More family friendly as it was until the 80's.

GM's current Marketing department would be fired. Get some young people in who actually under stand the customer.

FIx design flaws when they are found. Stop the whole idea of first figuring out whether it is cheaper to let the customer live with it or fix it and make the customer happy before they ever find out there was a mistake. (No more 3800 plenum disasters)

Stop the idea of building into the car planned obsolesce. Build it to last as long as possible. No more let’s build it so they have to come back and buy repair parts, shocks at 50k, transmissions that last only 100,000, or idler arms that go out in 35k.

I would want GM engineers to work like Japanese Engineers. Have specific solutions instead of always being general enough so when what they present fails, they cannot blame it on everyone and their uncle for not doing their job completely.

For those that missed it. ABC 12 had a excellent Documentary on GM in Mid Michigan. Contrary to popular belief and even what I believed caused Buick City to close. It wasn’t the UAW and it wasn’t high wages. GM couldn’t rein in it’s own management. With me. Management would be on the chopping block.
Post Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: