FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Two-day jail stay could prompt closure of Mega Coney Island

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Two-day jail stay could prompt closure of Mega Coney Island in Flint
by Bryn Mickle | The Flint Journal
Monday October 13, 2008, 9:23 PM

FLINT, Michigan -- A two-night stay in jail has one of the owners of a downtown coney island questioning if he wants to do business in the city of Flint anymore.

Mega Coney Island co-owner George Dedivanaj, 31, was arrested last Wednesday after a small fire at his restaurant at Saginaw Street and King Avenue.

He was booked into the Genesee County Jail for arson that night but released Friday pending further investigation.

His attorney, Michael P. Manley, called Dedivanaj's arrest a "very poor decision" and questioned why he was jailed before the investigation was finished.

Although the restaurant is set to reopen Tuesday morning after being closed since the fire, Manley said Dedivanaj and his family are very upset.

"The family has not decided whether or not they want to do business with the City of Flint," said Manley.

Flint Mayor Don Williamson said he could not comment on an ongoing investigation but said he doesn't want to see any business move out of the city.

"We don't need anybody moving out ...We need people moving in," said Williamson.

Flint police discovered the Mega Coney Island fire about 4:30 p.m. Oct. 8 when they went to investigate a police alarm and found the building filled with smoke.

Inside, firefighters found rags had been set on fire in two different spots in the building.

Dedivanaj was arrested at the scene and taken to jail.

Flint police told the Genesee County Prosecutor's office on Monday that they plan to seek a warrant in the case next month.

Manley said he looks forward to seeing the complete Flint police investigation and said he does not believe Dedivanaj was in any way involved.

Dedivanaj would have no motive to burn down the restaurant, said Manley.

The building is paid for, he is not in debt and the restaurant is "very profitable," said Manley.

Manley said police did not look for any disgruntled employees before arresting Dedivanaj.

"I think they dropped the ball on this one," said Manley.

A Flint police spokesman declined comment on the investigation.

The Flint Mega Coney Island opened in 2005 and Dedivanaj and his family also own Mega Coney Islands in Fenton and Flint Township.

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Richard
F L I N T O I D

May be time to call 1.800.CALLSAM.
Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:17 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Its sad cause they had good food there!! Sad

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: