FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: U OF M FLINT BUYING CAPITAL THEATRE?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

[b]UM-Flint may purchase part of downtown Capitol Theatre
School of Music needs a place to grow, and downtown Flint landmark could fit the need, administrators say

Tim Jagielo
Issue date: 1/20/09 Section: Local News
PrintEmail Article Tools Page 1 of 1
Media Credit: Tim Jagielo

The Capitol Theatre, above, once hosted national touring acts in its 2,000-seat theatre. UM-Flint is exploring the feasibility of a multi-million dollar renovation of the 81-year-old building, which still displays marquees from the 2008 Will Ferrell movie, "Semi-Pro."

The instrument storage room for UM-Flint's School of Music is crammed with instruments, making access to the lockers difficult. Interim Music Department Chair Brian DiBlassio says students needs more space. DiBlassio is part of the four-person "Capitol Theatre Work Group" that will advise the University of the department's needs.

Media Credit: Tim Jagielo
Room 164 French Hall, above, is best used for choral performances, but a small stage and lack of a back stage space make it a poor place for using instruments.

Music Department Chair Lois Alexander recalls a time conducting a music class with live instruments when a neighboring professor trying to give a test walked in mid-song, asking if they could be any quieter.

"No, no I can't!" she had said.

Alexander knew for the sake of the music program and other professors that use first-floor French Hall, they were going to need more space.

As a possible solution, the Capitol Theatre building at 104 East 2nd street has 30,000 square feet, three floors, and a 2,000-seat theatre. The building is currently home to an architectural firm, a temp service and a law office. There is also an H&R Block, an auto parts supplier, and The Flint Club. The building is currently two-thirds occupied, says General Manager Troy Farah, whose family runs a real-estate business from a sprawling office on the third floor.

The Capitol Theatre has hosted bands such as Slayer, Primus, Rage Against the Machine, Black Sabbath, R. Kelly, and Cyprus Hill. Starting early last year, UM-Flint has been exploring using the Capitol Theatre building for use by the School of Music.

Farah's family has owned the Capitol Theatre building for 30 years. He has been the general manager for 20 years. According to Farah, acoustic testing took place as early as January of last year, but testing was held up because of a funding problem, saying it was "stuck" until recently.

"We believe the University would be by far the best caretaker for the 'Capitol,'" said Farah, a University of Michigan alumnus. "I think it would be great for downtown; it's a win-win."

The feasibility study is being funded by the C.S. Mott Foundation for $48,000.

"The study is essential for a project of this size," said Joel Rash, who promoted and booked shows for the Capitol Theatre during the '90's and is now the leader of the Launch program at UM-Flint, via e-mail. "With the future of one of Flint's signature historic buildings at stake, the opportunity for UM-Flint to be involved is very promising."

The study will determine if it's cost effective to revamp the Flint landmark, or design and raise a new building.

The study is being done in preparation for the looming accreditation for UM-Flint's music program by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM), to happen in 2010. The studies occur every 10 years.

In the 1990 study, a "glaring deficiency" was found with rehearsal, storage, and performance space by the NASM.

"It has been going on by their records, for 20 years and the University hasn't addressed it," Alexander said.

To maintain its accreditation, UM-Flint has to have adequate performance and rehearsal space, says UM-Flint PR official Jennifer Hogan.

Currently the school of music has two rehearsal rooms on first floor French Hall and storage space.

"Storage is a problem here," Alexander said. "We're just cramped."

The School of Music currently uses the 420-seat UM-Flint Theatre for performances, which Alexander says has poor acoustics for orchestral music. UM-Flint's performances have also been hosted by local churches when space became an issue.

Should UM-Flint decide to use the Capitol, it could cost roughly between $25 million and $30 million, according to Assistant Vice Chancellor Bill Webb. The Capitol seats 2,000, but Alexander guesses 700 seats may be lost to make room for equipment and larger seats.

Alexander says they could use a rehearsal space at least 50 percent larger their space in French Hall, which is about 1,500 square feet. Alexander says students aware of the study are excited about the potential of the Capitol Theatre.

"They understand we have space issues," she said. "It's packed; you have to step over things."

Another reason for the study is a possible sharing of the new space with the Flint Symphony Orchestra and Flint Youth Symphony Orchestra. Both groups use the Whiting Auditorium for their performances. The Whiting costs about $12,000 per performance to book, and it is becoming cost-prohibitive for both orchestral groups.

Rash believes the Capitol needs an appropriate user.

"Exploring use by U-M is a great long-term solution," he said.

Farah says that if it proves feasible for UM-Flint to use the building, they would then "structure a deal," whether a sale or lease.

As far as reaccreditation for the music program in 2010, Alexander doesn't see any problem.

"It's going to bode well," she said.

Alexander sees the Capitol as a potential "hub" for performance activity and is excited about the music program having a permanent home to grow into.

"When you realize you've got a home, it makes a difference," she said.
[/b]

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Lets hope they will respect the historic theatre on the inside and out and restore it to its former glory. I am concerned that they will modernize it and not do a full blown restoration.

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
ManinthePinStripeSuit
F L I N T O I D

Ryan, Who is the University buying the building from the
City, The City of Flint Historical Society, or from a private owner?
Most Colleges or Universities usually do the renovation designing
themselves, and it is the responsibility of the Society (if there is
one) plus the Citizens to assure that the remodeling plan will
save the beauty of the old building.

Ryan, create a documentary film that will show the past history,
and include information concerning the new plan for restoring
the building. Was the Citizens of Flint invited to the planning
session to share their viewpoints? This is apart of the past
urban Renewal plan for Flint, and this plan was not developed
two years ago. Its been in the making for years you people in
Flint was not made aware of the plan until recently.

Urban Renewal was a master plan that was created and was
designed back 20 or 30 years ago.

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:58 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

interesting. i'm not sure the capitol theatre was included in the urban renewal project. also, is it not true the farahs own the building?
Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:46 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Hey they can show all of Mike Moores "documentarys" Rolling Eyes and Algores earth in the lurch flicks. The brainwashing will continue.

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:09 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

We could have Michael Moore Mondays and offer shop workers half off with proof of union id. Smile

quote:
twotap schreef:
Hey they can show all of Mike Moores "documentarys" Rolling Eyes and Algores earth in the lurch flicks. The brainwashing will continue.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:08 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

What shop workers?
Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:22 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Naw!!! dont need to most of the shop workers that are left are already Brainwashed. They need the young easliy swayed minds.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:40 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Because UM Flint has such a great track record of historic preservation and respecting local history...

sorry, I'm sure they will do wonderful....
Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:48 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

What has u of m flint restored? or are you being sarcastic? lol
They surely have ruined historic Wilson Park. They torn down quite a few historic structures IMA Auditorum, Kings house etc.

quote:
Tegan schreef:
Because UM Flint has such a great track record of historic preservation and respecting local history...

sorry, I'm sure they will do wonderful....

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:31 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

yep. sarcasm. They've disregarded several major historic structures over the years, and they really haven't shown any sign that their attitudes have changed.
Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:45 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

But dont forget, its for the Children.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:30 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Well, if its for the children, then we should just demolish an entire city street...

I don't know why I'm being so sarcastic lately! But seriously, college students don't fall under the "its for the children" argument.

Maybe UM-Flint should create a public history program, if they are suddenly interested in historic preservation. I know a great professor of history already at the school who could head the department. And I know a potential faculty member too....
Post Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:42 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Sarcasm, hopefully you dont think you are the only one allowed to play?? Very Happy

Post Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:21 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Of course not! I knew you were being sarcastic about the children, but you would be surprised about how many people would actually use that argument in this case...
Post Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:25 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: