FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Dorm Students Fed Up!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Fed up: Dorm students not happy with meal plans
Residential students leaving hundreds unspent, causing some to buy for friends or stockpile food to avoid losing their cash
Bryant Harland
Issue date: 1/20/09 Section: Campus
PrintEmail Article Tools Page 1 of 1
Media Credit: Tim Jagielo

Sophomore nursing major Cory Tepatti uses his meal card for his food purchases throughout the day. To not waste money, he often buys food for others and sees other residents frequently do the same. Tepatti visits Sodexo several times a day for light meals.

The freezer of freshmen Marcus Papin and Matt Rytlewski is filled with dove ice cream, bought with excess meal plan money.

Sodexo brought more to UM-Flint than just food; it also brought meal plans.

And controversy.

After the new food provider took heat from students early in the semester over high prices and what some felt were questionable food and service at Stacks Deli and Grill 155, which replaced the popular Halo Burger on the third floor of the University Center, some students are discovering another not-so-pleasant fact.

When it comes to meal plans, they're being charged more than what they're buying.
As with many universities, meal plans are available for both students living in the dorms and for commuters. Also similar to most other universities, residential students are required to purchase a meal plan for each semester. Meal plans give students "dining dollars," which they can use to purchase anything offered at either the Riverview Dining Room or the UCEN Food Court.

The problem is, many residential students don't use all of their dining dollars allotted for the semester. Or even come close to it.

"I had a few hundred dollars left at the end of the semester that I didn't know what to do with," said Michael Ebner, a freshman psychology major. "I ended up buying things for friends, and I still didn't use all the money. … It would be a little better if there was a cheaper option, or if dining dollars carried over to the next semester."

All dorm students are required to purchase at least $1,300 in dining dollars each semester, while anything extra is optional. Non-residents have the option of purchasing plans for $200 and $400. Approximately 35 non-resident meal plans were sold last semester in addition to plans for more than 300 residential students.

Jack Cahill, dining services manager, said students are actually given more in dining dollars than they pay for.

"All plans are given a 10 percent bonus above the buy in price; i.e., a $200 purchase will post $220 to the buyer's account" Cahill said.

When asked if the prices were too high, Cahill responded that he didn't think so.
"The minimum buy-in of $1,300 is far less the average university is requiring," he said.

The $1,300 cost is quite a bit cheaper than what even other Michigan universities require. In large campuses, meal plans can range in price from $2,400 to nearly $5,000. Though UM-Flint students don't have to pay as much for what they get as students in some other universities, many still find it to be an unfair policy.

"I would like some sort of choice of where I eat," said freshman Sophie Reynolds. "Buying a meal plan makes me feel like I have to eat on campus or else I'm wasting money."

Another issue for residential students is that they find it a challenge to use all the dining dollars they buy. Many, like Ebner, end up often buying lunch for friends or stockpiling non-perishables.

Many other students expressed similar concerns about wasting money, while some just flat out don't like the idea.

"I had too much money left over last semester, and it was money down the drain. … Even if I used all the money, I don't like the idea of being forced to buy food from a specific place," said Kathy Reeves, a freshman in the English program.

"It's a [expletive] thing to rip people off," said freshman Matt Everett. "No one uses all the money, and everyone's selection is limited to two places. There's no reason for forcing students to buy dining dollars."

Vice Chancellor David Barthelmes, who oversees auxiliary services, affirmed that UM-Flint's prices are no worse than those elsewhere.

"Meal plans at UM-Flint are in line with other institutions," Barthelmes said. "Our plan is actually less than some others. We are looking at adding some other dining options for students in the plan."

Barthelmes did not elaborate on what other options might be available for students, but said it would likely involve adding more food vendors to the existing program.

Theresa Landis, director of recreational services, said the dining dollars are not refunded at the end of each semester because the money is used to offset costs during the semester the "dining dollars" were purchased.

"This is common practice at other universities and necessary to produce a reliable budget," Landis said via e-mail. "It is a misconception that 'Sodexo gets the money.' The University has a management fee arrangement with Sodexo. UM-Flint is responsible for the University Dining Service budget, and a mandatory meal plan is necessary to reduce the subsidy that will be required to maintain it."

Landis also said UM-Flint's program ranks as the fifth cheapest of 13 Michigan public universities.

Bryant can be reached at
bharland@umflint.edu.

Page 1 of 1
Article Tools

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

I have a problem with the concept of a forced purchase of a meal plan for residential students. For that, there should be three square meals a day provided in house. How many "meals" are expected to be provided each day for $1300 during that semester? Might the students eat healthier and for less expense if they could shop at a local full service grocery and Farmer's Market?
Post Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:20 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

agree with dbl-oh....sounds like some kind of sweetheart deal set-up.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:22 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Perhaps a compromise of meal plans with a portion going to Farmers Market fresh produce?
Could healthy eating be a bad thing?

Peace,
Rap

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:47 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I am not the lunch lady, but i bet for all the money they are spending the meals could be a lot better.

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

OMG you said lunchlady!
I am so craving a turkey and avocado sandwich from the lunch studio.

california sunshine

Peace,
Rap

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:27 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: