FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Police vehicle question

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I've seen cruisers parked while answering a call with the motor running, sometimes for up to an hour or more. Is this because the radios, data terminal, etc. would drain the battery if the motor was shut off?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

consumers probably spends a half million a year on idling vehicles at donut shops Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:50 pm 
seek4truth
F L I N T O I D

Dave,

I know I have been guilty of leaving the cruiser running. In some of the cruisers the computer will shut off as soon as you shut the car off. This doesn't sound like a big deal but there were times I would have to work on my computer for 15 minutes before it worked. The computer is a needed tool in law enforcement. All of the computers were old, so if you got it to work you didn't want it to stop. It does pretty much everything we need on the street.

Not to mention its a time factor thing. I would rather just get to the call rather then to shut off all of the electrical equipment. The equipment can drain the vehicle over time. We are issued two key fabs to lock the vehicle while its running. Its also nice to know if the s##t hits the fan you can just throw your cruiser into drive and get to a better tactical position.

Other then that there is no reason to leave the cruiser running. It really was just a habit for me. I would shut it off on homicides scenes though. I can see your concern when it comes to gas. I guess I really never thought about the gas issue.

Back again I'm new school its the bagel shop Laughing Laughing

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:04 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I was thinking battery drain or the time it would take to get the computer back online cutting into response time for the next call. One good thing - imagine a carburatedengine idling that long. Varnish city!

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: