FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Lets Preserve Flint Central High School
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to give folks the heads up about Flint Central High School closing and let you know how concerned I am on the fate of the building. Although I realize that tough decisions have to be made for the health of our school district, I think that FCHS should be preserved with a plan for an adaptive reuse for the building ( housing, cultural center, art, Mott College, etc.). What about giving it to Flint Powers Academy for $1.00 with a list of strings that need to be done to ensure the building is preserved? I think that is a great idea and one that should be looked into.

As some of you may know I am a City of Flint Historic District commissioner and I plan on introducing a motion to start the process to add FCHS to the City of Flint and State of Michigan list of Historic Places to protect this building for future generations. That school may need some work but it can be saved and renovated. The building is situated in a wonderful location and boasts incredible historic architecture which's rivals that of Ivy League Colleges. Most people in Flint either went to school at FCHS or who has family members that have. I believe we can work with EVERYONE to ensure the preserving of this structure is good with the school district, community, neighborhood etc.

The next meeting of the Flint Historic District Commission is April 2, 2009 at 5:30 P.M. on the 3rd floor at City Hall; 1101 S. Saginaw St. Flint MI 48502. I would encourage those of you who support saving this building and our heritage to send me letters of support or attend the meeting. If you have any questions or want to send a letter you may do so at the following contacts:

E mail: RyanEashoo@aol.com

Fax: (810) 213-0225

Phone: (810) 691-6287

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:10 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Ryan I suggest you stick to your day job
Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:28 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

I'm all for saving the school, of course, but my only question is what exactly can speaking to the HDC do? Central High School is not designated in any way that I'm aware of and the HDC has no jurisdiction over it. Any National Register nomination also does not require the HDC and I believe the nomination can be done by any citizen, though it requires the owner or majority of the owners approval, plus review meeting and all that.

The only thing at this point that I can see involving the HDC is the creation of a single property historic district, but that requires the creation by the city of a historic district survey committee made up of people with expertise in different aspects of historic preservation, the majority of which are not on the HDC.

Of course I could be mistaken. And any public statement is important. I just want to make sure that I'm not making a futile effort talking to the wrong people.
Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:51 pm 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

Hello,

I am an outsider here and do not live in or near Flint. I do try and keep up with the news concerning the "goings on" with Flint as my "sainted" mother lives there.

I know times are tough in Flint and Michigan in general but have read that a total of six schools will be closed. Would this be because of the dwindling tax base? A shrinking population? I see where un-employment in Michigan is in the 14% area and wonder if people are just leaving for other states? I do have concern for my mother and think as jobs and services disappear the crime will continue in the upward trend. Just my thoughts.

Pan8
Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:03 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Powers wants Central

I think we should explore trading Central for Powers.
Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:58 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I proposing we add this structure to our ordinance as a single district

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I saying just that, we will start the process to designate it as a its own historic district. There is a process we must follow, we recently added a house in Woodcroft Estates and Stockon House. I am proposing we do the same with FCHS.

quote:
Tegan schreef:
I'm all for saving the school, of course, but my only question is what exactly can speaking to the HDC do? Central High School is not designated in any way that I'm aware of and the HDC has no jurisdiction over it. Any National Register nomination also does not require the HDC and I believe the nomination can be done by any citizen, though it requires the owner or majority of the owners approval, plus review meeting and all that.

The only thing at this point that I can see involving the HDC is the creation of a single property historic district, but that requires the creation by the city of a historic district survey committee made up of people with expertise in different aspects of historic preservation, the majority of which are not on the HDC.

Of course I could be mistaken. And any public statement is important. I just want to make sure that I'm not making a futile effort talking to the wrong people.

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:11 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Do you notice that nobody cares about a stupid school?
Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:13 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Everytime I drive by the Flint admin building...I look to the right and see a parking lot where a beautiful quaint cottage used to be. It was white with green shutters, a house that dort built. It was a museum quality landmark and added culture to the cultural center.

The final vote to build a parking lot was Ryan Eashoo.

So I take anything he says as having NO historical value.

Central was once a beautiful building but not maintained over the years like it should have been.

I don't care what happens to that building as long as children are NO longer forced to attend the decaying structure.

If you have 27 million to bring it to code...go for it.

Peace,
RAP

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:50 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

From a lakewoman to a eastsidewoman, get our drift Ryan?
Tear that old building down!

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:
Everytime I drive by the Flint admin building...I look to the right and see a parking lot where a beautiful quaint cottage used to be. It was white with green shutters, a house that dort built. It was a museum quality landmark and added culture to the cultural center.

Central was once a beautiful building but not maintained over the years like it should have been.

I don't care what happens to that building as long as children are NO longer forced to attend the decaying structure.

Peace,
RAP
Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:06 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Have you ever thought of moving out west Ryan? lol

Maybe you would be more welcome out west.

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
I proposing we add this structure to our ordinance as a single district
Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:07 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

RAP what Flint schools are in good non decaying shape?
Name one school as in the same shape as a school in Grand Blanc or Fenton?

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:

Peace,
RAP
Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:09 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Some of the Flint elementary buildings built in the 60's are closer to being up to building codes. Most of them are smaller for 300 children at the fullest capacity.

The need (or want) to pack children in to larger buildings has caused Flint Schools to close newer smaller buildings.

Many other districts have buildings also built in the 60's, some have updated to building codes some not.

Goodrich built an exceptional new middle school for 14 million, the same company built in Grand Blanc for 30 some million.

The answer to your question is NOT one Flint Community School is up todays building codes. Many items not up to code are grandfathered.

I don't know about other schools but depending on the date they were built would guess they also have some grandfathered items.

I would think if Flint Schools could have stimulus money they should build a state of the art middle school. Perhaps on land they already own like Lowell or Longfellow. Then if four years build a new highschool.

Holly high school was not built well and northern was not built to last.
Walk into Goodrich middle school and you know that is a place to learn.
A place to breathe a place to succeed.

Peace,
Rap

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:57 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Rap....PLEASE run for school board next time there is an opening...no matter what district you reside in, in a couple of years from now!!! Smile
Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:40 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Goodrich built an exceptional new middle school for 14 million, the same company built in Grand Blanc for 30 some million. Walk into Goodrich middle school and you know that is a place to learn.
A place to breathe a place to succeed.

Yup thats what happens when those actually working for a living and paying huge property taxes get some of those funds used to better the area they live in.

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:49 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: