FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Barack says thanks but he already read it and loved it.

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

500 years of domination?? very interesting since the US has been a country for just a bit over 200 years. Anybody getting as tired as I am of this POTUS flying all around and basically apologizing for the USA to all these USA hating countrys. I guess thats the way you get em to love us once again??? Rolling Eyes

Chavez Gifts Obama With Book That Assails U.S. for Exploiting Latin America
April 18, 2009 9:21 AM

At President Obama's meeting with the heads of South American countries this morning, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez stood, walked over to him, and presented him with a copy of "Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent" by Uruguayan author Eduardo Galeano.

Obama politely posed for a photograph with Chavez, shook his hand, and accepted the gift.

The book, first published in Spanish in 1971, offers a critique of the consequences of 500 years of European and U.S. colonization of Latin America.
"The division of labor among nations is that some specialize in winning and others in losing," the book begins. "Our part of the world, known today as Latin America, was precocious: it has specialized in losing ever since those remote times when Renaissance Europeans ventured across the ocean and buried their teeth in the throats of the Indian civilizations. Centuries passed, and Latin America perfected its role."

Galeano writes that while the era of "lodes of gold" and "mountains of silver" has passed, "our region still works as a menial laborer. It continues to exist at the service of others' needs, as a source of oil and iron, of copper and meat, of fruit and coffee, the raw materials and foods destined for rich countries which profit more from consuming them than Latin America does from producing them."

At another point in the book, Galeano writes: "Our defeat was always implicit in the victory of others; our wealth has always generated our poverty by nourishing the prosperity of others."

The book also criticizes the U.S. for "spreading and imposing family planning. ... In Latin America it is more hygienic and effective to kill future guerillas in the womb that in the mountains or the streets."

Banned in Uruguay and Chile when it was first published, "Open Veins of Latin America" is considered a classic in Latin America.

In Isabel Allende's foreword to later versions of the book, the Chilean-American writer says that Galeano "has more first-hand knowledge of Latin America than anybody else I can think of, and uses it to tell the world of the dreams and disillusions, the hopes and the failures of its people. ... Galeano denounces exploitation with uncompromising ferocity, yet this book is almost poetic in its description of solidarity and human capacity for survival in the midst of the worst kind of despoliation."

The copy of the book Chavez gave Obama appears to be in Spanish, a language Obama does not speak.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
At the start of the first plenary session at the Summit of the Americas later this morning, President Obama was asked what he thought of Chavez’s gift.

“You know, I thought it was one of Chavez’s books," Obama answered. "I was going to give him one of mine.”

- Jake Tapper and Sunlen Miller

Post Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:59 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

so,uhhhh whats your point? Shocked Shocked Shocked

have YOU read any history books about latin america?

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:49 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Not in spanish which like our TOTUS I dont comprende. Anyhow a very appropriate gift for Baracko blaming the ills of some ass backward country run by an American hating dictator on who else why the USA of course. Barack has found his venue for sure. . I hear Baracko returned his new pals generosity with a couple of the new Barcako action figures from Mattel. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

And of course Obama the Ninja Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:19 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

LMAO What a waste of money!

Post Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

i thought not. you know 2tap, most books these days are available in english. it's usually a good idea to research before fomenting an opinion on any subject. if i were you i wouldn't allow the hannity's and beck's to teach me history. i'm sure theres a library within 15 miles of you. Laughing Laughing

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:06 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Maybe I can just email Chavez and have him fill me in. Hey did ya notice the hazard warning on the bottom of the Barcako box. Laughing It should also include warning Obama may be hazardous to your wallet.

Post Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:28 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

uhhhh thats a choking hazard dude Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

P.Y.
Post Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:03 am 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

I am rather fond of the "chia obama."

Pan8
Post Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:45 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: