FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint 3rd most dangerous city

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Press release

Detroit is # 1 with 1,220 violent crimes per 100,000 residents.

The 14th annual "City Crime Rankings: Crime in Metropolitan America" was published by CQ Press, a unit of Congressional Quarterly Inc. It is based on the FBI's Sept. 24 crime statistics report.

The report looked at 378 cities with at least 75,000 people based on per-capita rates for homicide, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary and auto theft. Each crime category was considered separately and weighted based on its seriousness, CQ Press said.

Last year's crime leader, St. Louis, fell to No. 2. Another Michigan city, Flint, ranked third , followed by Oakland Calif.; Camden, N.J.; Birmingham, Ala.; North Charleston, S.C.; Memphis, Tenn.; Richmond, Calif.; and Cleveland.

The study ranked Mission Viejo, Calif., as the safest U.S. city, followed by Clarkstown, N.Y.; Brick Township, N.J.; Amherst, N.Y.; and Sugarland, Texas.

CQ Press spokesman Ben Krasney said details of the weighting system were proprietary. It was compiled by Kathleen O'Leary Morgan and Scott Morgan, whose Morgan Quitno Press published it until its acquisition by CQ Press.

The study assigns a crime score to each city, with zero representing the national average. Detroit got a score of 407, while St. Louis followed at 406. The score for Mission Viejo, in affluent Orange County, was minus 82.

Detroit was pegged the nation's murder capital in the 1980s and has lost nearly 1 million people since 1950, according to the Census Bureau. Downtown sports stadiums and corporate headquarters -- along with the redevelopment of the riverfront of this city of 919,000 -- have slowed but not reversed the decline. Officials have said crime reports don't help.
Post Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:37 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

We're down to number 4

DETROIT -- Among cities with a population of 50,000 or more, Saginaw ranks first on the FBI's list of most violent in America.

In recently released crime reports, the FBI said reports of violent crimes declined by 24 percent last year in Saginaw. But, the city has been listed as the most violent by the FBI every year since 2003.

The FBI categorizes violent crimes as murder, manslaughter, rape, robbery and aggravated assault.

Flint is fourth, Detroit is fifth and Pontiac is seventh on the FBI List.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/local&id=7667532&rss=rss-wjrt-article-7667532
Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:56 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

People don't realize that since the cops are almost all laid off that most crimes go unreported. I know numerous people who never make a police report since the police department is short staffed.

Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

Ryan I think you're correct.I noticed Flint Police being sent to take B&E reports 6-10 hours after the crime was first reported.I assume many reports are simply not taken at all.People say "what's the point?" I don't see why these reports can't be taken via tx or internet.Wouldn't the crime stats be more complete as well requiring less time to do? Am I missing something?
Flint just had its 46th homicide of 2010 ( 9/15/10).I read something recently about crime being down in Flint..Didn't they mean 2009 compared to 2008 ? Prior to the massive Police Layoffs ?
As I see it crime in Flint is out of control in the north and east ends.Shootings and arsons nearly every day.And its spreading.There is no safe place or time in Flint.Yes we do need a change.
Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:26 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

You can change mayors, hire more cops, put up cameras, get grant money, have back to bricks and crims till the cows come home but until you get an out of control poplulace under control Flint is screwed.

SCUSE ME WHILE I WHIP THIS OUT

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:57 am 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

I am disappointed at these numbers I am seeing. But by gum, I think the wretched refuse ya all have in this town, with real effort, can get that city to the number one slot in no time! Keep doing what ya all are doing and keep the cops to the low levels you have now and damn, you'll soon be numero uno for THE MOST VIOLENT and THE MOST WRETCHED cities all within your grasp! Don't let Saginaw keep this distinction !

Note: the above was being what is called ironic (a.k.a "saracastic) , I realize we have some rather dimwits in the city so I think I best add this to ensure some may get my point. For the rest, well never mind, that is why you are all still in Flint.
Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:41 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: