FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: NO TO JUVENILE LIFE SENTENCES

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

What Are you doing May 27th? Think of the possibilies. If the internet was a boarder less Political Party with the bloggers being precinct captains how would we act? I think Tom Rico is on the right tract.-trb
The Following from Blogging for Justice.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=82380738787#/event.php?eid=82380738787&ref=mf
-
Michigan Bloggers – and their network of blogging friends across the country – are invited and encouraged to address online the issue of ending juvenile life sentences without parole in Michigan and throughout the United States. Bloggers committing to "attend" this event will be promising to post commentary on their blogs on a single day, May 27, 2009, in support and solidarity to end juvenile life sentences without parole.

Human Rights Watch has confirmed that the United States is the only country that incarcerates youth offenders with life sentences without parole, which violates or raises concerns with three international treaties. Youth sentenced under these conditions – for crimes committed as teens and at younger ages – allows for no hope or chance of rehabilitation. “Our research indicates that many teens received life without parole for their first offense,” Human Rights Watch reports. “There is little in their histories to warrant the assumption that they would not mature and be rehabilitated if they were spared a lifetime in prison.”

The Michigan State Legislature is currently considering House Bills 4518 and 4594-4596, which would end the juvenile life without parole sentencing and would revise parole eligibility for juveniles sentenced as adults. Similar bills passed the House during the last legislative session but were stalled in the state Senate.

On May 6, 2009, the Michigan House Judiciary Committee held hearings on these bills. A second round of hearings is scheduled in Lansing for May 27, 2009. Michigan-based bloggers will be invited to join the debate through a Facebook event encouraging some of our keenest social and political observers to address the issue on a single day.

The Peace Education Center of Greater Lansing is launching this online blogging event in conjunction with The Injustice Must End (T.I.M.E.) Committee, a citizens action committee supporting the release of the wrongly-convicted Benton Harbor 15-year-old Latino honor-roll student, Efren Paredes, Jr., who has been imprisoned for 20 years. The Paredes case has been recognized by Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, and other organizations as an illustration of the need for legal reform.

Both groups are supporting passage of the bills before the House Judiciary Committee, as well as federal legislation recently introduced by U.S. House Judiciary Committee Chair John Conyers. The federal legislation is H.R. 2289, the Juvenile Justice Accountability and Improvement Act of 2009.

All bloggers participating in the “Blogging for Justice” day on May 27th will be invited to two scheduled online audio press conferences with the Peace Education Center and T.I.M.E. Efren Paredes, Jr. will be available by phone to answer questions about his specific case and about the topic of reforming laws on juvenile life sentences without parole. The press conferences are planned for
the following dates/times:

SCHEDULED PRESS CONFERENCES FOR BLOGGERS

Tuesday, May 19, 2009, 6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m. EST

Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m. EST

Call-in details will be announced soon and provided to participating bloggers.

A list of informational resources and links on the topic, as well as additional updates, will be posted with this FB event notice. Also, the Peace Education Center can send bloggers a general resource packet upon request.

For more information, contact the Peace Education Center at 517-889-1175 or peaceedcenter@gmail.com. Or contact Tom Rico, the co-chair of the PEC and a blogger himself, at ricothomasrico@gmail.com.

Thanks Tom, I’ll be there in ether and possibly in person.
Posted Here by Terry Bankert 5/7/09
You are invited to continue this discussion on my Face Book Page.
http://www.facebook.com/people/Terry-Bankert/645845362

Post Mon May 18, 2009 5:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

You libs and your whining. I personally witnessed the progression of a punk who had parents who gave him everything he wanted who went from assaults on other kids to robberys at knife point to eventually at 17 along with another piece of s--- scumbag beat an elderly man to death who had actually befriended the two of them. After the act these two geniuses stole his gun and car painted the car flat black and spent the night cruising into Flint.They both deserved the death penalty let alone life without parole away from civilization. My elderly dad lived several blocks from the murder scene and could have just as easily been a victim of these two. I wonder how all these "Human Rights Watch" clowns as well as Conyers and yourself would react if it was one of their family members who died at the hands of some how do you put it "Youth offenders".
You people are pathetic. Mad By the way if these two ass----- are released thanks to your efforts I hope they take up residence near you Conyers or some human watch member.. I gotta say it again PATHETIC
http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/asp/otis2profile.asp?mdocNumber=302122

http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/asp/otis2profile.asp?mdocNumber=300961

Post Mon May 18, 2009 7:42 am 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

I agree, end the life sentence. Take the punk out and give them a long drop with a short rope. Shocked

Hell, next the libs will want to take away our guns. Would work just like in D.C.

Pan8
Post Mon May 18, 2009 9:21 am 
Ponycar
F L I N T O I D

When someone gets out of prison it's not a question of whether or not he's rehabilitated. I could care less about that. It's a question of , has he paid his debt to society ? Prison is punishment, not rehab. If someone murders, they should never be set free again. I swear, libs are ruining America.

Post Mon May 18, 2009 10:35 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

i know painting people with a wide brush makes things simple. the problem arises because very few of any group feel the same way which makes simple comments like "libs" and "conservatives" actually mute.

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Mon May 18, 2009 12:57 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well its lib democrats who are behind this nonsense thats why they are mentioned.

Post Mon May 18, 2009 1:01 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Our research indicates that many teens received life without parole for their first offense,” Human Rights"

First offense??? what kind of offense would that be short of 1st degree murder. Just how many of those are they supposed to be allowed. Rolling Eyes Heaven help us if these idiots ever get complete control .

Post Mon May 18, 2009 2:02 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

Laughing Laughing in my cold dead hands" Laughing Laughing

now THATS disgusting.

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Mon May 18, 2009 9:27 pm 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

See below for an example of how well the rehab idea works.

www.clickondetroit.com/news/16433114/detail.html

Here is the best sentence in the article, "Since his release, Abraham has taken college classes, spoken at churches and schools and recorded a rap album".

Here is the best sentence edited to include factual information, "Since his release, Abraham has taken college classes, spoken at churches and schools, recorded a rap album, used/sold ecstacy, alcohol and marijuana".

"She said she also feels bad for the hundreds of people that worked hard to rehabilitate them."

I feel bad for them as well because they wasted countless hours on something that clearly did not work.

Criminal rehab= Hug a thug.
Post Mon May 18, 2009 11:11 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

instead of searching for some nuthouse story, i actually KNOW people who served their time and now hold respectable jobs. as usual, y'alls paintbrush is broken.... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

P.Y.
Post Tue May 19, 2009 1:32 am 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

No search required. I knew the name and circumstances before any search. I see people everyday who have failed to prosper in life following their rehab (jail/ prison sentences) for serious offenses. Do some objective research on recidivism rates. I'm not saying all offenders are unable to be productive members of society after their first go around in prison, but my everyday real- world experience shows the majority are not. If a juvenile hasn't figured out or doesn't care that they cannot kill someone, the individual is still not going to care when they are released from the system.
Post Tue May 19, 2009 2:49 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Excellent post BAH 836 I know you have first hand knowledge of what actually transpires with some of those rehabed youngins. For those who dont get the drift of this discussion this seems appropriate.

This discussion was started on the notion that "Juvenile offenders " were being wrongly sentenced to life without parole. Their is only one crime which would give them that sentence for the first offense that being Felony murder. These human rights folks and the poster of the original thread would have us believe that our prisons are full of young punks who are spending the rest of their lives behind bars for lessor offenses. Well OK lets see some proof what 1st offense would give them that sentence??? Back again how many of those rehabed folks that you know were released after being convicted of taking an innocent life. That once again constant refrence to the late Charlton Heston has what to do with this discussion???? Any parole board, judge, Human rights member or attorney thats involved in getting a convicted murderer back into society and he or she commits the same crime again should be along with the killer held liable for their actions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.316 First degree murder; penalty; definitions.
Sec. 316.

(1) A person who commits any of the following is guilty of first degree murder and shall be punished by imprisonment for life:

(a) Murder perpetrated by means of poison, lying in wait, or any other willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing.

(b) Murder committed in the perpetration of, or attempt to perpetrate, arson, criminal sexual conduct in the first, second, or third degree, child abuse in the first degree, a major controlled substance offense, robbery, carjacking, breaking and entering of a dwelling, home invasion in the first or second degree, larceny of any kind, extortion, kidnapping, vulnerable adult abuse in the first and second degree under section 145n, torture under section 85, or aggravated stalking under section 411i.

(c) A murder of a peace officer or a corrections officer committed while the peace officer or corrections officer is lawfully engaged in the performance of any of his or her duties as a peace officer or corrections officer, knowing that the peace officer or corrections officer is a peace officer or corrections officer engaged in the performance of his or her duty as a peace officer or corrections officer.

(2) As used in this section:

(a) "Arson" means a felony violation of chapter X.

(b) "Corrections officer" means any of the following:

(i) A prison or jail guard or other prison or jail personnel.

(ii) Any of the personnel of a boot camp, special alternative incarceration unit, or other minimum security correctional facility.

(iii) A parole or probation officer.

(c) "Major controlled substance offense" means any of the following:

(i) A violation of section 7401(2)(a)(i) to (iii) of the public health code, 1978 PA 368, MCL 333.7401.

(ii) A violation of section 7403(2)(a)(i) to (iii) of the public health code, 1978 PA 368, MCL 333.7403.

(iii) A conspiracy to commit an offense listed in subparagraph (i) or (ii).

(d) "Peace officer" means any of the following:

(i) A police or conservation officer of this state or a political subdivision of this state.

(ii) A police or conservation officer of the United States.

(iii) A police or conservation officer of another state or a political subdivision of another state.

History: 1931, Act 328, Eff. Sept. 18, 1931 ;-- CL 1948, 750.316 ;-- Am. 1969, Act 331, Eff. Mar. 20, 1970 ;-- Am. 1980, Act 28, Imd. Eff. Mar. 7, 1980 ;-- Am. 1994, Act 267, Eff. Oct. 1, 1994 ;-- Am. 1996, Act 20, Eff. Apr. 1, 1996 ;-- Am. 1996, Act 21, Eff. Apr. 1, 1996 ;-- Am. 1999, Act 189, Eff. Apr. 1, 2000 ;-- Am. 2004, Act 58, Eff. June 11, 2004 ;-- Am. 2006, Act 415, Eff. Dec. 1, 2006
Constitutionality: This section, which provides a mandatory life sentence for first degree murder, does not violate constitutional guarantees of due process and equal protection or the guarantee against cruel and unusual punishment. People v Hall, 396 Mich 650; 242 NW2d 377 (1976).The use of common-law definition of rape in this section, until it was amended by 1980 PA 28, does not violate the equal protection clause. People v McDonald, 409 Mich 110; 293 NW2d 588 (1980).In People v Gay, 407 Mich 681; 289 NW2d 651 (1980), the Michigan supreme court held that the prosecution of defendants under this section subsequent to their convictions in federal court for the same acts is limited by the double jeopardy clause of the Michigan constitution.In People v Wilder, 411 Mich 328; 308 NW2d 112 (1981), the Michigan supreme court held that conviction and sentence for both first-degree felony murder and the underlying felony of armed robbery violates the state constitutional prohibition against double jeopardy.A mandatory life sentence imposed for conspiracy to commit first-degree, even if nonparolable, is not so excessive as to constitute cruel and unusual punishment; nor does it violate the Equal Protection Clauses of the Michigan and United States Constitutions. People v Fernandez, 427 Mich 321; 398 NW2d 311 (1986).

Post Tue May 19, 2009 7:26 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

bah said "i'm not saying all offenders are not capable of being productive members of society". hey, i rest my case. Wink Wink Wink Wink

P.Y.
Post Tue May 19, 2009 8:05 pm 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

quote:
back again schreef:
bah said "i'm not saying all offenders are not capable of being productive members of society". hey, i rest my case. Wink Wink Wink Wink

The words "all" and "never" are not good words to use when debating the criminal justice system and I should have known better than to use one of them, however, I intended for people to read the whole post, not just until they find a sentence fitting their belief.
Post Tue May 19, 2009 10:14 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: