FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Hal Turner Arrested for Defending Catholic Church

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Internet Radio Host Turner Unlikely To Appear In State Court Until Next Week

Internet radio host Hal Turner, accused of inciting violence against two state lawmakers and a state ethics official on a website, probably won't appear in Connecticut to answer the charge until next week.

As of Thursday afternoon, Turner remained in a New Jersey jail, said state Capitol Police Chief Michael J. Fallon.

Turner, who has been identified as a white supremacist and anti-Semite by several anti-racism groups, hosts an Internet radio program with an associated blog. On Tuesday, the blog included a post that promised to release the home addresses of state Rep. Michael Lawlor, state Sen. Andrew McDonald and Thomas Jones of the State Ethics Office.

"It is our intent to foment direct action against these individuals personally,'' the blog stated. "These beastly government officials should be made an example of as a warning to others in government: Obey the Constitution or die."

The remarks on the blog were a reaction to the recent controversy over a bill before the legislature's judiciary committee that would have changed the way the Roman Catholic Church is governed, taking power away from church officials and turning it over to lay members. The bill was pulled in mid-March following an outcry from Catholics across the state and questions about its constitutionality. Lawlor and McDonald are co-chairman of the committee..

Last week, the controversy flared again when the Diocese of Bridgeport filed a federal lawsuit against state ethics officials, who are investigating whether church officials violated lobbying laws by organizing a rally at the state Capitol to protest the measure earlier this spring and not registering as lobbyists.

A message left with the person who answered the phone at the contact number listed on the blog was not returned.

Fallon said Capitol police learned of the blog posts from one of the targeted lawmakers on Tuesday "and by late Wednesday afternoon, we had him in custody.''
Post Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:18 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Yes, the government has NO business telling the Diocese how to conduct business.

Turner is a nutter, plain and simple.
Post Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:03 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

yup, another coo-coo for cocopuffs right wing extremist. Laughing Laughing

also, the church has no business telling government how to conduct business.

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:20 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
back again schreef:
the church has no business telling government how to conduct business.

Why not? If you compare the Catholic church's record against the government's record on pure logic alone I think one might prefer the Catholic Church run things and eliminate the government.

Free speech used to apply to churches up until 1954. I think we did o.k. from 1776 up until 1954. If Britian would have regulated churches in their North American colonies they might not have had to deal with the Revolution and losing a war.

I also think it's unfair for the government to steal from Christian parents and bribe them/almost force them to either go to a public or non christian charter school. The government has done a very good job of helping to shut down christian education in places like Flint Michigan. It's very unfortunate the churches are effectively banned from fighting back.
Post Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:42 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

one of the main reasons folks migrated from england to the "new world" was to escape the tyranny of the church of england.

the church also "interpreted" certain passages of the bible to allow slavery to be "less offensive". all historical fact. no thanks buddy. i'll take thinking for myself!
Laughing Laughing Laughing

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:36 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

So as long as it's the government that persecuts religion it's ok?

I'm not a huge fan of the church in england but if they want to run schools in America they should be giving the same rights as the state to establish schools.

Look at the amount of direct and indirect taxes you pay since you bring out slavery.

The government helps kill many thousands if not hundreds of thousands of Americans per year by subsidizing unhealthy food. I think the church of England has probably reversed their teachings on slavery. Maybe someday they United States will reconsider the farm bill. Hopefully some day our government will consider human life as beginning at conception. If not those 50 million dead babies might have helped pay for social security. Oh well who needs workers to pay for social security when master Obama is in charge.

I guess I'm a little cofused by your "thinking" if you think persecuting all religions is better than at least allowing one to thrive.

I believe we should end the ban on free speech and allow churches an equal footing. I think it's wrong to descriminate aainst churches. If we believe in freedom of religion in this country than religious institutions should be alowed to compete for social welfare dollars and not be automatically band and descriminated against if they are deemed relligious in nature.
Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:15 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

i have nothing against church..as long as they don't force their values on me.

P.Y.
Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:54 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

And I have nothing agaist leftist whackos as long as they dont try to force their whacko ideas on me.

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:45 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

riots??? what riota??? coo-coo for cocoa puffs!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

P.Y.
Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:23 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

***So as long as it's the government that persecuts religion it's ok?****

Where did you get that impression?

****I'm not a huge fan of the church in england but if they want to run schools in America they should be giving the same rights as the state to establish schools.******

The Anglican Church doesn't want to run schools in America.

****Look at the amount of direct and indirect taxes you pay since you bring out slavery.*****

Taxes have been paid to the gov't for eons....kinda hard to run a gov't without SOME form of tax base.

***If not those 50 million dead babies might have helped pay for social security. Oh well who needs workers to pay for social security when master Obama is in charge.****

So by this statement I am supposed to utilize my uterus for the happiness and security of the elderly?

***I believe we should end the ban on free speech and allow churches an equal footing.*****

Okay then let's start taxing them.

****If we believe in freedom of religion in this country than religious institutions should be alowed to compete for social welfare dollars and not be automatically band and descriminated against if they are deemed relligious in nature.****

Churches don't need to compete for social welfare dollars, faith based orgs already qualified for monies under the Bush regime. You know that collection plate that is passed around? It's time churches went to the basics of performing community works rather than telling people what to do with their bodies and minds....
Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:08 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
back again schreef:
i have nothing against church..as long as they don't force their values on me.

Or on their congregations? Churches are moral institutions. They should be able to promote their moral beliefs to their congregations and not have limits on their free speech.
Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:42 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
***So as long as it's the government that persecuts religion it's ok?****

Where did you get that impression?

****I'm not a huge fan of the church in england but if they want to run schools in America they should be giving the same rights as the state to establish schools.******

The Anglican Church doesn't want to run schools in America.

****Look at the amount of direct and indirect taxes you pay since you bring out slavery.*****

Taxes have been paid to the gov't for eons....kinda hard to run a gov't without SOME form of tax base.

***If not those 50 million dead babies might have helped pay for social security. Oh well who needs workers to pay for social security when master Obama is in charge.****

So by this statement I am supposed to utilize my uterus for the happiness and security of the elderly?

***I believe we should end the ban on free speech and allow churches an equal footing.*****

Okay then let's start taxing them.

****If we believe in freedom of religion in this country than religious institutions should be alowed to compete for social welfare dollars and not be automatically band and descriminated against if they are deemed relligious in nature.****

Churches don't need to compete for social welfare dollars, faith based orgs already qualified for monies under the Bush regime. You know that collection plate that is passed around? It's time churches went to the basics of performing community works rather than telling people what to do with their bodies and minds....

I was making the point that religious institutions should be allowed to run schools and not be descriminated against.

50% taxation in a competitive global economy might be enough to do uss in eventually even without the extreme debt.

More babies equals more tax slaves/tax payers. That is a reality however you want to spin it.

As long as we tax the political parties and all other non profits that would be fair.

Overall churches are still under attack even with Bush's meager programs. The main problem in our state is thee state of Michigan which has a problem with Christian schools. Unfortunately for you our nation is not totally marxist/communist but I don't think even communist China has as harsh a view towards Christianity. If you really believe what your saying you would really want to attack the Jews and Muslims first and the Lutheran denominations probably last. Jews and Muslims have the most stringent requirements with regards to what they should do with their bodies. Do you also think we should ban doctors and psychologists?
Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:59 am 
Schreef
F L I N T O I D

the life of an unwanted child must be swell:

JOHN MERROW: To help minors who may not have the support they need at home, Vallas is getting tough with their parents.

JOYNAL ABDIN, police and public safety officer: Police. Police. I'm here to serve your summons. You got your I.D.? Are you going to go to court?

PARENT: Yeah, I have to take that day off.

DORIS TAYLOR: Ma'am, make sure you go. Make sure you go, because if you don't, we're going to come back out and pick you up and bring you down to lock-up. That's your responsibility as a parent to make sure that your kids attend school.

And this makes me very frustrated, because this is a child's education we're talking about. There's no excuse why a child should miss 21 days and he's just a second-grader?

PARENT: Can I ask a question?

DORIS TAYLOR: Sure.

PARENT: Is there like any way that the state could pick them up, I mean, if they miss like a couple more days?

DORIS TAYLOR: You keep saying the state going to take them. You sound like you don't want with them.

PARENT: To be honest with you, I don't.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/education/jan-june09/nolaschools_02-03.html
Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:58 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Existing life takes precedence over potential life..
Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:05 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: