FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Proud to live in Flint? AlGarcia Mlive Flint Town Talk
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
DEMCAD

"Lets start right at City Hall. Don and the Stuffed Puppets have to go. Lets clean the entire house (sorry Kincaid) I said the entire house. Pack up and no need to leave a forwarding address. Just leave please!"
Al Garcia

Al, have you ever heard of the phrase, "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater."

Eliminating our entire government would be a reckless action on the part of the citizenry. The problem with Flint isn't its leaders, but its people. Too many of us are blaming the politicans for our own shortcomming. No mayor in the world could dramatically reduce Flint's crime, poverty, and economic problems in a short period of time. I think we should cut the mayor and the council some slack. Flint had a stagnant economy long before the current administration came into power.
Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:20 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

I wouldn't say this council is bad but it's certainly not spectacular. Let's take Scott Kinkaid for example who I feel is very good. Last election nobody ran against him. In the first ward no one ran against Buchanan. In the fith ward I like Caroloyn Simms over Benny Spence. etc.
I'm mostly in favor of term limits but our council isn't paid enough and people aren't involved enough to do that. Personally I think we'd probably be better off with 7 wards maybe then we could afford to pay the council members a little more for better results.
Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:23 am 
Al Garcia

Come on people, with all due respect to Kincaid, he has been in local politics for decades, it's time to clean house. THe entire city charter needs an overhaul.
Paying the mayor and stuffed puppets hundreds of thousands per year, yes, we are talking about close to a quarter million a year for them all.
Flint needs to change to a weak mayor/counsel form of government. Hire a city administrator who doesnt have to worry about shining his hard hat for the cameras. The city of Flint is a failing business, bring in a professional who isnt going to worry about his "next election" The counsel should be "everyday" people, local store owners, PTA and girlscout leaders, the neighorhood watch leader from down the street. Not professional politicans like Kincaid, Gonzales and Buchanan. For the price you people pay to keep these puppets in office, you deserve so much better. Youre not getting the bang for the buck!
Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:48 pm 
David

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
I wouldn't say this council is bad but it's certainly not spectacular. Let's take Scott Kinkaid for example who I feel is very good. Last election nobody ran against him. In the first ward no one ran against Buchanan. In the fith ward I like Caroloyn Simms over Benny Spence. etc.
I'm mostly in favor of term limits but our council isn't paid enough and people aren't involved enough to do that. Personally I think we'd probably be better off with 7 wards maybe then we could afford to pay the council members a little more for better results.

I keep telling Matt Taylor ( former councilman) or Ryan Eashoo ( activist, realtor) or Mr. R. Hatter to run against Carolyn " I do nuttin for my 5th ward" Sims.
Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:40 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Al Garcia wrote: "Flint needs to take back their neighborhoods. Flint needs to love their children. Flint is a city that has lost its way. What is the plan?
"its not that bad, but it does need improvement"....what do you mean by that? Thats something I would hear from Don Williamson while wearing his patriotic hard hat.
You say "Demand better services" Well, I havent lived in Flint for years and I know for a fact that people have been demanding better service for decades now and if you couldn't squeeze water from a rock 20 years ago, your definately not squeezing that rock in Flint today."
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Flint is in the shape it is because WE, the residents, let it happen. The attitude that "It's not my job" lets things happen. We have to realize that we CAN change things. We CAN take our city back, one house, one block at a time. How many of us know everyone that lives on our block? How many of us watch out for our neighbors? How many of us are willing to get involved? How many of us call 911 when we see someting going on?

I live on Milbourne, between Dayton & Hamilton. Less than 2 years ago, we all got together & started a block club. We've cleaned up the neighborhood. We all know each other, we all care about each other. Everyone has everyone else's phone number, and the name & address of the owner of every rental on the block. When soneone's not home, we keep an eye on their houses. We go to Council meetings and to the Mayor's open office to voice our concerns.We invite our council members and neighborhood Police officer to our meetings. In short, WE CARE! If we can do it, anyone can.

If you're interested, we have a block club meeting this evening at 6pm. The meeting's at 2234 Milbourne, in the sun porch at the back of the house.
Guests are always welcome.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Is R. Hatter related to Henry? Henry is outstanding out in Clio. I do like Carolyn Sims but that would be a tough call for me.
Has anyone ever proposed term limits in Flint?
Giuliani did make the strong mayor form of government work spectacularly out in NYC although normaly the city administrator form of government is better. The council is paid so little it's probably not worth most local business people's time.
I think we should try and execute the charter before we get rid of it.
Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:36 pm 
DRAFT GARCIA

DRAFT GARCIA
Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:35 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: