FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Walling vs. Clack: Who do you support and why?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Out of the two candidates for Mayor of Flint, which one do you support?
Brenda Clack
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Dayne Walling
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Niether, I'm not voting.
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dan Moilanen
F L I N T O I D

I want to have some discourse over the mayoral race and the candidates themselves, where do you all stand? Who do you support? Why? What do you think needs to be done with the City of Flint in order to make it a more prosperous city? How do you feel about the campaign in general?

Also, let's try to avoid name calling or speculation, let's have some positive and reasonable discourse Smile

"I am not a Marxist."
-Karl Marx
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:49 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

To be honest, I haven't heard a thing out of the Clack camp. Is she even campaigning? I know her previous campaigns were very low key. Maybe she's relying on name recognition.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

like dave i've also heard nothing. i believe a small percentage will vote based on race. i also know the "enlightened" blacks will vote for the best person presenting the best plan for flints future. i am curious. Shocked

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:02 pm 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Dayne Walling by far. He's a rhodes scholar with four college degrees, has experience in the D.C. and Minneapolis mayor's office, is a small business owner, and was born and raised in Flint. He has ideas to focus more on communites, reopen recreation centers, and focus on our parks system. Dayne is the man to change Flint.
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:21 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

and his plan for jobs?? Shocked Shocked Shocked

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:34 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Recreation centers and parks, places for the "folks" to gather? Without police patrols? whoa Shocked that can get a bit risky to say the least.

Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:30 am 
Dan Moilanen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
back again schreef:
and his plan for jobs?? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Obviously there is only so much he can potentially do as mayor to create jobs. He's told me and others that he wants to help create the right incentives while at the same time try and retain some of the recent college graduates in Flint through certain federally aided housing programs that would help them purchase homes in Flint. Having an educated work force is an essential step. He believes firmly that diversifying our economy is essential, and we cannot rely on one industry like we have in the past. He also wants to help make the case for Green manufacturing. But again, there's only so much that can be done with a local municipality.

Personally (not sure if this is Dayne's view or not), I think Flint should really look toward the college model as a lot of people have argued. Even Michael Brown said it recently on national television ( http://blog.mlive.com/flint-city-beat/2009/06/flint_can_absolutely_be_saved.html ). You keep an educated work force here and things are bound to happen eventually. Look at Ann Arbor, it's a city that was entirely created around University of Michigan, Google, Phizer, and a number of other white collar service jobs have been created there simply because of the school's presence. It doesn't mean gentrifying Flint, and it doesn't mean pushing people out, it's just another option of diversifying Flint.

Of course, any solution that's going to bring jobs to Flint is going to take time, a lot of time. The unfortunate side of it, is that people have very short fields of vision. Flint's recovery is going to take years, not months.

"I am not a Marxist."
-Karl Marx
Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:48 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

that sounds good for college educated folks. will he make an attempt at securing any manufacturing. perhaps a union-free area with certain tax incentives?

P.Y.
Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:54 am 
Dan Moilanen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
back again schreef:
that sounds good for college educated folks. will he make an attempt at securing any manufacturing. perhaps a union-free area with certain tax incentives?

He wants to work on creating incentives for Green jobs. Ask him if you want the specifics Smile

"I am not a Marxist."
-Karl Marx
Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:05 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

well.....i'm in san diego. would it be on his web site perhaps?

P.Y.
Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:07 pm 
Dan Moilanen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
back again schreef:
well.....i'm in san diego. would it be on his web site perhaps?

http://www.votewalling.com/allplan.php [/url]

"I am not a Marxist."
-Karl Marx
Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:13 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

San Diego???? WTF whats next San Fran freekshow. Dont forget them flowers in your hair. Laughing

Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:24 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

actually looks pretty good!!!

yo 2tap, $50.00+ up near san fran.......if you can get in.

P.Y.
Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:24 pm 
Dan Moilanen
F L I N T O I D

http://blog.mlive.com/flint-city-beat/2009/07/several_flint_mayoral_forums_p.html

FLINT, Michigan -- As the Aug. 4 mayoral election nears, several area groups have invited candidates Brenda Clack and Dayne Walling to participate in forums.

Here are some of the upcoming events:

• 6 p.m. July 15 at Kettering University's McKinnon Theater, 1700 University Blvd. Forum is titled "From General Motors mecca to university/medical hub: The future of Flint, Michigan." Hosted by Kettering University and Mott Park Neighborhood Association.

• 6:30 p.m. on July 20 at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 711 S. Saginaw St. Lt. Gov. John Cherry is expected to attend. Discussion will include neighborhood revitalization, safety, economic recovery and education reform. Hosted by Flint Area Congregations Together.

• Noon on July 21 at Antioch Missionary Baptist Church, 1083 E. Stewart Ave. Hosted by Concerned Pastors for Social Action.

• 7 p.m. on July 21. The Flint Journal is scheduled to host a debate with ABC12 (WJRT) to be aired live on TV.

• 5:30 p.m. on July 23 at Bethlehem Temple Church, 3401 King Ave. Dawn Jones of ABC12 is scheduled to moderate the forum, hosted by the Genesee County Democratic Black Caucus and Young Democrats.

"I am not a Marxist."
-Karl Marx
Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:27 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

have they had any face to face debates yet?

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE POST A COUPLE OF THESE VIDEOS PLEASE?

P.Y.
Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:57 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: