FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Hurley Millage
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
andi03
F L I N T O I D

How do people feel about the millage for Hurley Medical Center, Inc.? Pro or con, please post.
Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:47 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

perhaps i'm biased because 17 years ago my newborn son was touch and go. i had nightmares and drank maalox like it was water. they did their job and now i'm a happy and thankful father......and my mom was an ORT/ LPN there before working neo-natal. they do care for those less fortunate. i think dave said they actually turned a profit in 2007? how about 08? what are they going to build with a new millage? i guess theres too much i don't know.

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:45 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Personally, I don't like their threats to ration service. Sounds too much like a school board threatening to drop football if they don't get a millage increase.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

School boards never drop sports just buses, puts parents on the spot for sure.

Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:41 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

They've already had to lay off staff in the past and I think they really do run some programs to help the community out. Even if it is a threat if/when I have kids I'd hate to have to take them to a childrens hospital in Ann Arbor or Detroit area.

It would be nice if we could divert some money from places like Israel that use some of it to spy on us and instead use it to fund things like schools and childrens hospitals here in America.
Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:51 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Latest financial report available from michigan.gov
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/treasury/259010HurleyMedicalCenter20071102_214579_7.pdf

Fitch Financial Review dated 02/09
http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS290708+05-Feb-2009+BW20090205

Hurley Board Members
http://www.hurleymc.com/?id=233&sid=1

Archived article about 3.5 million dollar surplus:
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2008/11/heres_a_financial_surprise_hur.html

Editorial opinion in favor of millage:
http://www.mlive.com/opinion/flint/index.ssf/2009/05/county_board_needs_to_place_hu.html

Genesee Tea Party against Hurley Millage:
http://www.geneseeteaparty.org/

I hope that others may have any links to peruse to form objective opinions, please post them.
Post Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:54 am 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have some questions:
How did they come up with $10 MILLION DOLLARS , why are some DBA's getting
over $200,000 of the tax and why couldn't it wait until November?

Post Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

I am wondering why they couldn't wait until Nov. either. I perused an article in the FJ and they stated that they were going to wait until the Nov. election. The article was dated late '08 or very early '09.

The 10 million probably sounded like a good round figure...<sarcasm>

edited to add: I am going to vote no, too many times have entities in Genesee County asked for monies, but don't have a plan. Look at the Senior Millage. The health plan had a stringent "business plan".

The public deserves to know the exact breakdown of the plan and the board should be representative of the outlying areas in order for this to satiate my information and repayment for taking my taxes should this come to fruition.

I have looked at this objectively and will be voting accordingly. Yes, I am sure that they need the monies, but all too often like I said before, Genesee County entities ask for too much monies and then they don't know what to do with it when they get it....sheesh.
Post Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

The cost to a person that has a home worth $100,000.00 would be $45.00 a year (.9 times every $1,000 of taxable value - typical a $100,000 home has an SEV of $50,000) That's about 86 cents a week.

The yearly cost to my family is going to be $29.70.

The Board of Managers has a majority of out-county members now.

I may be a bit biased here, my wife does work for Hurley, but I also see that the hospital and staff provide a much needed service to the community.
Post Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

In my mind's eye there is something more important than the amount that I MAY be paying for per year.

It doesn't really matter where the board members reside, the main crux is whom appointed them? Unless stated otherwise, that would be the City of Flint. This is the main premise behind the "Taxation without Representation" argument.

It hasn't been solidified as to what they are going to do with the monies raised, I mean really solidified. A city entity looking for funds from the outbound areas and they want it for the following via yestohurley.org:

* Protect Hurley’s Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Level 1 Trauma Center and Burn Unit.
* Protect health care services for seniors and elderly residents of Genesee County.
* Provide peace of mind to working people in Genesee County. In these tough times, a good job with benefits today could be gone tomorrow.

The first bulleted item is a given, the second...eh, the third there will not be a peace of mind even with those of us that work.

Then this little goodie at the end from yestohurley.org "To ensure accountability and transparency, Hurley will release public reports showing how funds are used to improve health care."

Why aren't they answering any other questions pertaining to the needed monies rather than threatening to recede services to the general public?

The initial offering to pay for the ballots OR for the elections personnel to work the polls was a very slippery slope...in my opinion.
Post Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:33 pm 
Dan Moilanen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
In my mind's eye there is something more important than the amount that I MAY be paying for per year.

It doesn't really matter where the board members reside, the main crux is whom appointed them? Unless stated otherwise, that would be the City of Flint. This is the main premise behind the "Taxation without Representation" argument.

It hasn't been solidified as to what they are going to do with the monies raised, I mean really solidified. A city entity looking for funds from the outbound areas and they want it for the following via yestohurley.org:

* Protect Hurley’s Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Level 1 Trauma Center and Burn Unit.
* Protect health care services for seniors and elderly residents of Genesee County.
* Provide peace of mind to working people in Genesee County. In these tough times, a good job with benefits today could be gone tomorrow.

The first bulleted item is a given, the second...eh, the third there will not be a peace of mind even with those of us that work.

Then this little goodie at the end from yestohurley.org "To ensure accountability and transparency, Hurley will release public reports showing how funds are used to improve health care."

Why aren't they answering any other questions pertaining to the needed monies rather than threatening to recede services to the general public?

The initial offering to pay for the ballots OR for the elections personnel to work the polls was a very slippery slope...in my opinion.

Who appoints any of the other positions within a local, municipal board? What about City Administrators or other positions within City Hall, they often are hired and make decisions regarding funding and resource allocation. I think you're blowing the taxation without representation argument a bit too out of proportion, especially since I could draw upon numerous other examples (bipartisan at that) of local, state, and federal officials spending tax dollars without being elected. Did you know that the majority of laws are written by lawyers who were not elected?

Read Theodore Lowi's "The End of Liberalism", I don't know if you can read the whole thing from this link, but check it out: http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=98850522

"I am not a Marxist."
-Karl Marx
Post Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:57 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dan Moilanen schreef:

Who appoints any of the other positions within a local, municipal board? What about City Administrators or other positions within City Hall, they often are hired and make decisions regarding funding and resource allocation. I think you're blowing the taxation without representation argument a bit too out of proportion, especially since I could draw upon numerous other examples (bipartisan at that) of local, state, and federal officials spending tax dollars without being elected. Did you know that the majority of laws are written by lawyers who were not elected?

Read Theodore Lowi's "The End of Liberalism", I don't know if you can read the whole thing from this link, but check it out: http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=98850522

If my home is taxed and I don't have "a person" representing my views or say as to where my monies go, than yes, it is to be construed as taxation without representation. I pay taxes to the Feds, State, County, Twp., and other various items. But I don't pay taxes to the City of Flint. According to this website, the mayor appoints the members.
http://www.hurleymc.com/?id=45&sid=1
If I am paying monies to a unit of government no matter what unit, I expect to have someone represent my interests. I don't have anyone representing my interests, especially when it comes to the legalities of the county level giving the "okay" to put a city "entity" on the county ballot.

The next part and parcel to your question is that each little jurisdiction in Michigan is a miniscule (sp) type Legislative, Executive and Judicial branch. Like my township. The elected officialsrepresent my interests with my money in the place that I reside. Those people that were "appointed" were appointed by the people that we elected, falling under the guidance of the elected officials.

For the love of God...man.....331 pages?! <grin> I just finished David Copperfield (by choice) I am ready for Dr. Seuss...sheesh. Smile Smile
Post Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:43 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

The summer tax bill due the end of July is already $50 more than last year.

Today another Hurley ad in the mail, "Our parents and grandparents deserve peace of mind. For over 100 years, Hurley Medical Center has provided peace of mind to Genesee County Seniors... Protect health care services for seniors and elderly residents of Genesee County.... Support elderly residents in Genesee County by voting "Yes" to Hurley Medical Center on Aug. 4." Emotional pleas!

The winter tax bill included Senior Citizens, 0.70000; Health Care, 1.00000, and Paramedic Service, 0.48470. Adding another millage for Hurley increases medical expenses property owners pay for others, some who can't afford health care insurance for themselves and don't qualify for the services they're being taxed for.

Just today a senior told me of being billed over $90 for an ambulance ride to the ER. With Medicare A and B, and AARP supplemental insurance why would that not be a covered service. This individual lives on social security and will have the same property tax increases. Seniors are property owners who can't afford more taxes either.

My vote is NO!
Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:05 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

To go along with your reason of "taxation without representation," I believe that is the reason that Flushing is trying to invalidate the election outside of the city of Flint, since it is a city-owned hospital. Since the residents of Flushing or any community outside the city of Flint is unable to vote on the hospital's board, they are not able to have any say or pull in how the money is spent (or at least who is making that decision). Therefore, taxation without representation.

The argument is that Hurley Hospital serves the county. Technically, isn't every hospital obligated to serve anyone who needs medical attention?

I personally use Hurley Medical Center for whatever I need because I like the doctors I have (even from PA. Still refuse to change doctors!) I've never paid attention to whether they charge those inside the city less than outside the city, like the Genesee County Parks do with the Annual Pass for Crossroads Village, offer a discounted price for county residents since they pay taxes to partially support the parks.

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:33 am 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyone intrersted in protesting the Hurley tax can call me @ (810) 836-9158 and I will link you up with people in your area.

I am the contact for Genesee Township and the city of Davison.

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: