FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Did you see this ?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ponycar
F L I N T O I D

The New York Daily News via YellowBrix

August 03, 2009

WASHINGTON, DC – Goodbye, Guantanamo Bay. Hello, Great Lakes?

The Obama administration is mulling plans to move all 229 detainees at Guantanamo Bay to a Michigan prison near the shores of Lake Huron.

The Standish maximum-security prison is being closed because of the state’s dire financial condition, and guards have been picketing to keep it open and save their jobs. The other alternative is to send the Gitmo detainees to the military lockup at Fort Leavenworth, Kan.

President Obama ordered the notorious seven-year-old Cuban prison camp closed by Jan. 22 but ran into congressional roadblocks over fears about bringing suspected terrorists onto U.S. soil. The Associated Press reported yesterday that the White House considers setting up a combined courtroom-prison complex at an existing facility as “the best among a series of bad options.”

Revamping the Standish prison, more than 100 miles northwest of Detroit, for the detainees could cost more than $100 million, one reason most Michigan officials are eager to bring the project to the Wolverine State. The Justice Department has identified about 80 detainees who could be charged and prosecuted, either in military or federal criminal courts. A small number of detainees deemed too dangerous will continue to be held indefinitely without trial. The rest, about 150, are to be released.

Since 2002, nearly 800 suspected terrorists have been brought to Guantanamo Bay, and more than 500 were released without being charged.

Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:46 am 
FStar
F L I N T O I D

This is a great idea. It means jobs and money for MI - both things the state needs. Plus, do you really think these guys will escape? It's fear mongering and a big case of NIMBY. Our country already has dangerous criminals and terrorists in super-max prisons and they pose no threat.
Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:13 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

agree, it's a great idea!!

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:40 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

they should do it.

Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:54 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: