FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Crime prevention conference
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

A good event yesterday at the Joy Tabernacle Church. Picked up some ideas on preventing crime in the neighborhood. Representatives from 25 block clubs attended. State Representative Woodrow Stanley attended. Mayor Walling was invited, but I guess he chose to have lunch in Fenton instead. Channel 25 was also there, but no other media thought it was worth covering.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:09 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Woodrow??? Laughing

Post Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:50 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Interstingly the discussion got around to shrinking cities. woodrow was upset that the council eliminated code enforcement over a year ago. It seems that he wrote the first rental inspection ordinance. no code enforcement means no inspections.
Post Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:33 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
A good event yesterday at the Joy Tabernacle Church. Picked up some ideas on preventing crime in the neighborhood. Representatives from 25 block clubs attended. State Representative Woodrow Stanley attended. Mayor Walling was invited, but I guess he chose to have lunch in Fenton instead. Channel 25 was also there, but no other media thought it was worth covering.

Wow. Any details on the lunch in Fenton? The ward meeting in the 4th ward seemed to go well. Dayne actually even gave what I thought was an excellent speech and mentioned how we are now at a similar unemployment rate as we were during the Great Depression.

Post Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:05 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Interstingly the discussion got around to shrinking cities. woodrow was upset that the council eliminated code enforcement over a year ago. It seems that he wrote the first rental inspection ordinance. no code enforcement means no inspections.

Thank you, Scott Kincaid.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:15 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

no code enforcement? wow, i'll bet the slumlords are a happy bunch.

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:26 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

There needs to be some follow up sessions and training about the crime issues facing the fifth ward. The new downtown Weed and Seed appears o cover only the near north and doesn't extend to the area with all of the violence.
Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:19 pm 
larry flint
F L I N T O I D

what can you realy do about crime hmm lets see,, spend thousands of dollers on more jails
more cops and more guns, more gas, more bennifits, more lawsuits
and never stop the bleading

well there is a cost effective way realy!!
fight poverty tear down the vacants with a bulldozer and web cam the whole city
property values will go up ALOT and crime will drop
who cares where all the poor unfortunate uneducated go as long as they go
its a bailout program that will pay for its self recycle the houses whatever
but as long as theres this kind of vacancy rate
the econemy here will never be any good and just get worse
witch leads to depression witch leads to all kinds of social problems.
and honestly if something like it dosent happen lets just say theres not enugh students in umf mott or kitt combined to fight off the crime wave that will come as more good people go
Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:17 am 
Elias12
F L I N T O I D

I agree with much of what Larry says. I have often told people the formula for urban decay to be turned around is to tear down bad buildings so bad people don't have a place to hide out. Tear down bad buildings,opens land up for new buildings, new buildings attracts better people, better people make fewer problems ,fewer problems attracts even more people. Nicer people want and need things, businesses get created ( where there is a dollar to be made someone will seek to get that dollar(s)) If we tear down bad buildings and land is cheap more newer homes will be built and stop the dreadful urban sprawl. When things are more centrally located fuel consumption drops and the huge transfer of wealth to other countries slows down. Get that nuclear power plant built on the old Buick City site and jobs and careers are launched. New firms, manufacturing ones, will likely show up. Firms will be competing to be a part of the Flint area . Not an utopia , not a heaven , but a far more vibrant economy will develop ,not only here but nationwide. And to those romantics who claim there is more to life than money I say what Alex Keaton ( Familt Ties) said to his old friend/nemisis who was a liberal arts major ( I was one too) " ok, try getting a car loan from the Bronte sisters"

Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:06 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

There is fear in the Flint Police Department about the serious impact Granholm's revenue sharing cuts may have on the department. Police and fire are the lion's share of the general fund budget. Are more lay offs coming.
Yes Elias the worst homes need to come down and some of these homes have been on the demolition list for over twenty years But the concern about building is nobody is buying! At some meetings LISC and other organizations have emphasized building rentals. MSHDA insists on havig a reuse plan before they assist in tearing down structures.Also as you build new homes, are people going to bandon other sections of town? Who knows how long it will take to bring people back to the city. Will the people relocating for the professional jobs downtown live in Flint or commute? We are loooking at many years of rebuilding Flint. The old St John Urban Renewal site sat for over 20 years before University Park was built.
But there are many things a community can do to reduce the sites where criminal acts keep reoccuring.
Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:09 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.booktv.org/Watch/11017/When+Brute+Force+Fails+How+to+Have+Less+Crime+and+Less+Punishment.aspx

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:01 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
fight off the crime wave that will come

Will come?? when did it ever go away?

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:50 am 
Gooch
F L I N T O I D

I would like to see the churches in Flint get together and do more then just talk about what to do. I was apalled when back a month or so ago when the young man and girl were killed. He was a wanted murderer. And one of the new city council people, i forget his name but it's the young black man with braids, was on TV talking about how he went to church with the young dead man's family. Well why wasn't this council person talking this family into turning in this boy for his past killing? Wouldn't it had been better if he had been serving his time in jail then being on the streets and getting this girl he "chilled" with killed?

Why can't the churches of Flint get together and start going to these crime areas and exercizing the "Devil" out. We need to do like old Cristmas carolers used to to and gather 40-50 people outside a known drug den and sing them away. Make them feel nervous instead of them keeping us in our houses under the table dodging bullets. Friends and family of known drug dealers and killers need to start steping up and turning people in for their own good.

I have known way to many people who turn a blind eye to criminals in their own families for what ever reason that I still don't have a grasp on.

Duncan Begal was just on tv a few weeks back swearing in advocates for foster children. We need a group like that for adults. People to go to homes and check that people are doing things they need to be doing like finding jobs, raising their kids, removing all the drinks and drugs from the house. Too many times have I seen freinds family all sitting at their house drinking and smokin with 8-10 family members there all doing it while all the kids sit in a back room playing video games and catching a contact from the adults.

I'm down with the idea that this is our city and if we don't like whos living in it they either shape up or we evict them from the city all together!
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:04 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.irs.princeton.edu/pubs/pdfs/510.pdf
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:18 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Adam- looks like an exellent article I will finish reading it this afternoon.
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:49 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: