FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Township name change?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

it's not presently on their web site, but the print edition of the Journal has a front page article about a guy wanting to change the name of Flint Township to West Point so they won't be associated with the name Flint.

Opinions?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:44 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Domet
F L I N T O I D

I feel... really quite ambivalent about this kind of idea. I don't know if anybody remembers/knows about the East Detroit to Eastpointe change - to get away from being associated with Detroit and instead wanting to be associated with the more affluent x-pointe suburbs around Detroit, the city changed its name in 1992. The affect has been pretty interesting - while many of the actual census stats in the area have not changed significantly, perceptions of the locations have altered quite a bit.

Has the name change been positive? Census data tells us that populations have remained fairly stable, property values have remained nearly the same, employment at approximately similar levels, crime levels not really affected in a statistically significant way - their economic relationship with Detroit remains about the same with 16.7% of population still commuting in the the city and 12.6% if the city's working population coming from Detroit. From this and other bits of data we can quickly see that the name change was largely superficial and hasn't had a serious effect on statistical reality - what has changed has been perceptions. With regards to the numbers, the change has been largely irrelevant.

Now it's like this - I know the Genesee Valley Mall and that huge business area over there on Miller/Linden are part of Flint Twp, but does anybody else kind of feel like it's still Flint? The urban sprawl between here and there, much like with Burton, makes it seem like it's really just still Flint. I wonder who associates the mall with "Genesee County" or "Flint Twp". Does anybody else but me know people who, when they're coming up to Miller Road, say "We're coming up/down to Flint to go shopping (let's meet up.)"
I want to know what the name change to West Point will be exactly.

When we aren't changing numbers, that typically means we are trying to change something else, doesn't it? You don't make a name change just because you don't like the name Flint Twp - there is an underlying reason why you like West Point more. Flint Twp is a part of Flint, they are associated with us - even if they are a separate municipality with their own ordinances, police, etc, Flint flows over into their space. The same can't be said for Eastpointe whose demographics already reflected the white suburbs with which it was trying to relate. Since it is unlikely that they will effectively change the stats of their area, they are essentially attempting to create a social barrier - we aren't part of the city, we are part of the suburbs. Keep the city out. It is an effective tool for creating people that are favorable and those who are not, and the people who are not favorable are going to be anybody looking like they are from the city regardless of how good or bad a citizen they are.

Just my two-cents - I understand why they want to do it, but the history of re-associations, especially with them being as integrated into the city as they currently are, tells me that they want something but aren't going to get it and, as a result of the name change, will just further serve to create social barriers between people without affecting any real statistical changes.

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:55 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

8 mile road is still 8 mile, 9 mile is still 9 mile, and 10 mile is still 10 mile. VanDyke Road is still VanDyke, and Mound Road is still Mound Road. And all of the areas south of that are still the same, name changes don't do much...
Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:08 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Like changing the name of Detroit St. to ML King Blvd?

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

I didn't mean it like that, if that's the way you took it. I could change my name to Helga and still be andi03. Smile
Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:47 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

When the Detroit St. name change was being pushed, it was stated that people living on the street would keep their properties in better condition out of respect for Dr. King. It didn't work. I suspect that a name change for Flint twp. would do nothing more than change the name.

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:42 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

yeah good point about all the MARTIN LUTHER KING AVENUES all over the country. Usally in the worst parts of the city with the highest body count. Look at the crap that goes on in churches,, and God has better name recongniton than Martin Luther King I would guess. makes you wonder why God sent his only son down here to "save " this wretched speicies. I sure the hell wouldnt have bothered. I am a member of this species and I would be hard pressed to argue for why it should be continued to exist. But I , as normal, digress.
Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:55 pm 
ConcernedCitizen
F L I N T O I D

1pissedoffguy,

I have been reading your postings for the last couple of weeks. You are just one hateful, bitter person. No matter what the topic, you respond like somebody ruined your life. I'm not sure what happened to you, but it sounds like you need counselling. Please get help!
Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:46 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

he's tipsy again Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:40 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

oh,,get counseling from someone huh,,like the nut job who just show up all those people at Ft Hood? suuure,,,,,no thanks, I will pass. nothing wrong with me , just my head isnt up my ass like BA et al.
Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:59 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

calm down pissed....count to 10 slowlyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

put the bottle downnnnnnnnnnnn. breeeeeeeeath....

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:01 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

Wish I was drunk BA, Flint is a great place to me hammered to the gills in. And in a town where party stores out number regular grocery stores,getting ripped is just a block of staggering to get to the next store away. If the hookers were better looking this place would be great!
Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:07 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

well, why don't you get a loan and open a grocery store in your neighborhood!!! i'd buy from you..........if allowed entry. Cool Cool Cool Cool

P.Y.
Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:12 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

BA, never turned down business,, money is all green and green is good, that is the way I taught to view things, from the cold hard reality of of the soft folding green stuff. Money , the love of it may be the cause of all evil, but damm , try to live without it. I have thought of opening a store here in town, but never could get the loan. Family owned a few stores in the past, back when GM was still booming.
Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:54 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: