FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Senate report: Bin Laden was ‘within our grasp’
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Heres what happens when you take a liberal approach to fighting a war.
Of course we also have to take a look at who is behind this alleged charge.
And dont forget its a fact that Clinton turned down bin Laden on several occasions before 9/11 which if he had done his job might not have happened.

Senate report: Bin Laden was ‘within our grasp’
Review could be seen as warning against opponents of a troop surge now

updated 2:28 a.m. ET, Sun., Nov . 29, 2009
WASHINGTON - Osama bin Laden was unquestionably within reach of U.S. troops in the mountains of Tora Bora when American military leaders made the crucial and costly decision not to pursue the terrorist leader with massive force, a Senate report says.

The report asserts that the failure to kill or capture bin Laden at his most vulnerable in December 2001 has had lasting consequences beyond the fate of one man. Bin Laden's escape laid the foundation for today's reinvigorated Afghan insurgency and inflamed the internal strife now endangering Pakistan, it says.

Staff members for the Senate Foreign Relations Committee's Democratic majority prepared the report at the request of the chairmanSen. John Kerry, as President Barack Obama prepares to boost U.S. troops in Afghanistan.

The Massachusetts senator and 2004 Democratic presidential candidate has long argued the Bush administration missed a chance to get the al-Qaida leader and top deputies when they were holed up in the forbidding mountainous area of eastern Afghanistan only three months after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Aimed at foes of surge?
Although limited to a review of military operations eight years old, the report could also be read as a cautionary note for those resisting an increased troop presence there now.

More pointedly, it seeks to affix a measure of blame for the state of the war today on military leaders under former president George W. Bush, specifically Donald H. Rumsfeld as defense secretary and his top military commander, Tommy Franks.

"Removing the al-Qaida leader from the battlefield eight years ago would not have eliminated the worldwide extremist threat," the report says. "But the decisions that opened the door for his escape to Pakistan allowed bin Laden to emerge as a potent symbolic figure who continues to attract a steady flow of money and inspire fanatics worldwide. The failure to finish the job represents a lost opportunity that forever altered the course of the conflict in Afghanistan and the future of international terrorism."

The report states categorically that bin Laden was hiding in Tora Bora when the U.S. had the means to mount a rapid assault with several thousand troops at least. It says that a review of existing literature, unclassified government records and interviews with central participants "removes any lingering doubts and makes it clear that Osama bin Laden was within our grasp at Tora Bora."

Fewer than 100 U.S. commandos
On or about Dec. 16, 2001, bin Laden and bodyguards "walked unmolested out of Tora Bora and disappeared into Pakistan's unregulated tribal area," where he is still believed to be based, the report says.

Instead of a massive attack, fewer than 100 U.S. commandos, working with Afghan militias, tried to capitalize on air strikes and track down their prey.

"The vast array of American military power, from sniper teams to the most mobile divisions of the Marine Corps and the Army, was kept on the sidelines," the report said.

At the time, Rumsfeld expressed concern that a large U.S. troop presence might fuel a backlash and he and some others said the evidence was not conclusive about bin Laden's location.

Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:40 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

looks like both parties flubbed their oversight.
Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:44 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

so america attacks iraq and afghanistan????????? duh. silly but usual post.

anyway, you gotta have a bogeyman to keep the funds flowing. W was dumb but he was not fool enough to kill a business partner. Laughing Cool

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:43 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I take it that was a humorious response?? ill tell ya us worrying about what other nations think of us has and will continue to screw things up.

Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:00 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

humorous? no.

do YOU have any children in iraq or afghanistan?

none of you chickenhawks have children over there but your sure ready to send someone elses kids in harms way for dumb reasons.

"nation building"
"give them freedom"

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:06 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
anyway, you gotta have a bogeyman to keep the funds flowing. W was dumb but he was not fool enough to kill a business partner.

Heres what I was referring to nobody thinks war is humorous. By the way I have a granddaughter in the airforce stationed in Japan who could wind up in a war zone. You have any in the military?

Last edited by twotap on Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:16 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

nope, i have 1 son too young for that.

pray she stays in japan.

P.Y.
Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:26 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Of course I hope she stays out of harms way but she like her peers knows when you volunteer for military service thats part of the deal. I do know that she like the rest of her group are worried about the wishy washy Commander in chief we presently have and his apparent lack of support for the trops.

Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:38 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

i'd imagine since she's been there a while and had a chance to see other views, she's wondering what the hell she's even there for??

by now she's aware of the amount of money being made by american corporations in these non-sensicle wars. when she comes home and if she isn't afraid to tell grandpa what she really thinks about the "wars of freedom", you will get an unpleasant earful...especially about the Commander in Chief who got her into this mess....

P.Y.
Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:06 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

You imagine quite a lot since you dont even know her. Hey BA not everyone out there has that liberal mindset. But like I said she has told me many times what she and her enlistee pals think of your POTUS and it aint pretty. Just imagine.

Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:12 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

hey, the poor kid has had you filling her mind with republican claptrap for damn near 2 decades. what do you expect. she's getting older now and beginning to wonder how the hell this all started. thats when she begins evolution. the ability to see beyond current circumstances and find true reason, that makes true adults. i know kids also who have gone and returned and i have yet to find one with a complaint against the president. they are informed enough to know better. they tell me the stories of haliburton getting paid big bucks for crap work and nothing being done about it. you talk of supporting the troops? the president didn't hire those contractors or start these crappy wars. lord, i hope she gains the ability to look beyond the now and more toward the why.

P.Y.
Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:26 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
hey, the poor kid has had you filling her mind with republican claptrap for damn near 2 decades.

Poor Kid????Thats very hillarious actually she made it thru her education that was basically run by a bunch of libtard teachers got a full scholarship to college finished that took the exam for the airforce where they have lowered the minimum score to 39 (gee I wonder why they did that) Rolling Eyes Of course she knows the answer and so does most thinking folks, she got a 94 and will soon become an officer. and she still has her conservative values.
Heres hoping your not filling your kids head with all that lib nonsense like when you get out of school you should go to work for Acorn like Obama and domet (aka little acorn) did or perhaps the peace core Rolling Eyes Or better yet I see Cindy Sheehan and the Code Pink whackos are protesting the use of unmaned drones perhaps their will be a spot for him there.

Of course you libs can only dream about what things would be like if only Algore had been prez when 9/11 occured , im betting we would now all be required to wear rags on our heads or else.

Oh ya you libs keep telling us conservatives all about how things would be if only you could sway the entire population to think like you and have those libtard values Confused whatever they are??. Wait I think I have found a fine example its called the north end of Flint Mi. or San Francisco. Take your pick. Your Potus the confused commander in chief what a joke. Laughing

This post may be harsh but you started it putting down my granddaughter. Not a good idea.

Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:09 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

ahhhhh, not harsh at all buddy. sooner or later all kids think for themselves. by the way. my boy is holding his 3.7 avg and we are currently entertaining scholorship offers for college. not bad for a flint bred and schooled kid who's grandmother resides on the "north end". oh, another thing, this kid needs no "lowered standards" help. yes, i know that shatters your core beliefs but.... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

P.Y.
Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:32 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Good for him hope he continues. Very Happy

Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:38 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:

And dont forget its a fact that Clinton turned down bin Laden on several occasions before 9/11 which if he had done his job might not have happened.[/b]

Don't forget it's a fact that Osama bin Ladin was a member of Ronald Reagan's "courageous" "Freedom Fighters" and was supported by the CIA in the battle against the evil Soviets. I wonder when the CIA stopped supporting him???
Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:37 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: