FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: will Flint lose more police?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Sadly some in the community are talking about possible layoffs in the future for Flint.

The Southside Task Foce which was going to allow six police officers to be recalled may not happen. Word is the six officers for the Task Force have been named from within the department, but details on replacing them within the department are woefully absent. Are the six officers going to be recalled from layoff?

The big question on the minds of some is how is this federal money to be spent? Is the police dept. one of the departments that is over budget?
Can the police take another hit and what impact will this have on the community?
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:44 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Is that really a serious question? Unless Barrack orders us enough money from the Federal Reserve printing presses we will pretty much have to lose police.

I heard a rumor some in Detroit were considering bankruptcy so they could basically screw over union retirees and save things like police.
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:23 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

You miss the point Adam. The federal money was to hire or rehire six laid off officers. Instead while six officers are being reassigned there is no indication there will be six additional officers.

Federal grants are very specific and the city is required to comply with the conditions of the grant. If the city does not comply, the money may have to be repaid and that will impact our ability to gai further funding.

If Locke has not managed the budget and the department is overspent, then we will have to make additional cuts. Rumor are the Fire dept has overspent for some time. The midyear review will be very telling.

Meanwhile, Haskell may no longer be open as I hear the building has no heat, or heat in only portions oof the building. Will budget restraints prevent other mini-stations from opening.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:47 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I don't expect to see any of the much-touted ministations opened. The announcements of their openings were accompanied by a lot of publicity, but followed with little or no action. In my opinion, this city administration is all talk & no action. Look at Walling's twitter site: he's flitting everywhere smoozing with the "elites" & hardly ever mentions city hall.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:56 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Heres a few stats on the number of cops per citizen vs crime rates.

Burton. population 29,843 number of cops 38 -1 cop per 785 persons
crime index 382
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Davison. population 5536 number of cops 10.- 1 cop per 553 persons. crime index 126
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Blanc. population 8242 number of cops 13 -1 cop per 634 persons.
crime index 220
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flint. population 112,900 number of cops 320- 1 cop per 352 persons.
crime index 932.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lack of cops causes crime increases thats the theory of a lot of folks unfortunately thats a flawed theory for sure.
As it stands Flint now has more cops per person yet the crime index is at a ridiculious figure. So if your waiting for Flints crime to go down with the addition of 6 more officers or a couple of mini stations your gonna have a long wait. Lets face it the one thing that causes crime and crime increases is more criminals period. And Flint has no shortage of production.

Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:35 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
You miss the point Adam. The federal money was to hire or rehire six laid off officers. Instead while six officers are being reassigned there is no indication there will be six additional officers.

Federal grants are very specific and the city is required to comply with the conditions of the grant. If the city does not comply, the money may have to be repaid and that will impact our ability to gai further funding.

If Locke has not managed the budget and the department is overspent, then we will have to make additional cuts. Rumor are the Fire dept has overspent for some time. The midyear review will be very telling.

Meanwhile, Haskell may no longer be open as I hear the building has no heat, or heat in only portions oof the building. Will budget restraints prevent other mini-stations from opening.

Haven't we laid off like 50 or more officers?

How many more are we going to have to lay off while the feds only give us a few officers?
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:31 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Heres a few stats on the number of cops per citizen vs crime rates.

Burton. population 29,843 number of cops 38 -1 cop per 785 persons
crime index 382
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Davison. population 5536 number of cops 10.- 1 cop per 553 persons. crime index 126
Grand Blanc. population 8242 number of cops 13 -1 cop per 634 persons.
crime index 220
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flint. population 112,900 number of cops 320- 1 cop per 352 persons.
crime index 932.
Lack of cops causes crime increases thats the theory of a lot of folks unfortunately thats a flawed theory for sure.
As it stands Flint now has more cops per person yet the crime index is at a ridiculious figure. So if your waiting for Flints crime to go down with the addition of 6 more officers or a couple of mini stations your gonna have a long wait. Lets face it the one thing that causes crime and crime increases is more criminals period. And Flint has no shortage of production.

How many of the Flint cops are tied up with task force stuff? I don't know for sure but if I had to guess I would say cops in the other cities are at least able to respond to 911 calls unlike here in Flint.

Giuliani did add cops to NYC and did reduce crime.

If we could eliminate half of our Flint pd we would likely see a drop in various reported crimes other than things like murders because those are pretty easy to report.

I think we also need to do a better job of "managing crime".
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:39 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Or to put it another way flint has more 911 calls than 320 cops can handle. But hey if you can get this guy to take over Flints law enforcement you might actually see some results.

Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:17 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Where are you getting a toal of 320 cops for Flint? Do we even have 200 still?

http://www.mlive.com/opinion/flint/index.ssf/2009/04/proposed_police_layoffs_in_fli.html
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:10 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

As of March 2007 http://www.city-data.com/city/Flint-Michigan.html has us at 263 police and I think we have lost at least 50 if not 100 officers since then.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:24 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Plus another 32 which makes it 295. plus another 68 part time The stats I first looked at had it at 320.

Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)

Function Full-time employees Monthly full-time payroll Average yearly full-time wage Part-time employees Monthly part-time payroll
Financial Administration 113 $441,523 $46,887 0 $0
Other Government Administration 27 $109,260 $48,560 0 $0
Judicial and Legal 59 $207,333 $42,169 0 $0
Police Protection - Officers 263 $1,167,258 $53,259 0 $0
Police - Other 32 $106,156 $39,809 68 $52,926

Firefighters 124 $724,714 $70,134 0 $0
Fire - Other 32 $124,002 $46,501 0 $0
Streets and Highways 48 $185,497 $46,374 0 $0
Airports 1 $2,965 $35,580 0 $0
Hospitals 1974 $7,316,283 $44,476 569 $1,208,802
Solid Waste Management 38 $118,219 $37,332 0 $0
Sewerage 70 $339,283 $58,163 0 $0
Parks and Recreation 17 $55,288 $39,027 3 $2,603
Housing and Community Development(Local) 64 $170,327 $31,936 0 $0
Water Supply 68 $321,513 $56,738 0 $0
Other and Unallocable 41 $156,893 $45,920 0 $0
Totals for Government 2971 $11,546,514 $46,637 640 $1,264,331

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Flint-Michigan.html#ixzz0ZzIrAISA

Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:30 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Are the "others" Actual beat cops or supervisors? We used to have some police on here. I am curious what the current # is.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:28 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I would like to add that I am 100% behind the cops and for keeping plenty on police forces everywhere. But until the residents of flint start changing and im talking about all those clowns running around fathering as many kids as they can and then virtually abandoning them, along with their in heat willing mommas nothing is going to change regardless of how large a police force you have.

Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:41 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:
Are the "others" Actual beat cops or supervisors? We used to have some police on here. I am curious what the current # is.

I think "other" may be civilian employees of the PD.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

In 2007 there was 1 interim chief, 3 captains, 12 lieutenants, 61 sergeants and 187 officers. Total number of sworn personnel in 2007 was 264.

Currently at approx 190- 195 for total sworn personnel. Police Other is civilian staff.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:51 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: