FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Police Union to Walling-Burn 30
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Bossman- The Chief should not need the administration to tell him he is over budget. He has the staff and should be reviewing and taking steps to try to reduce the overspending. He has some in the department who have been successful witing grants.

I find it hard to believe this man who lost his interim Captain position after the oral tests for Captain is now our chief.

Could this be the reason the 6 officers for the south end task force were never hired?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:58 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Bossman- The Chief should not need the administration to tell him he is over budget. He has the staff and should be reviewing and taking steps to try to reduce the overspending. He has some in the department who have been successful witing grants.

I find it hard to believe this man who lost his interim Captain position after the oral tests for Captain is now our chief.

Could this be the reason the 6 officers for the south end task force were never hired? Was the grant money used to plug a hole in the budget?

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:00 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Dave there is no doubt in my mind that this restructuring of the dept. to use federal money to supplement the dept is the reason the 6 officers were not rehired. Also, since Bossman pointed out the administration says these laid off officers have no recall rights, they may as well look elsewhere for employment.

Dave you will see the humor here.
City Hall Rumors get more bizarre! Here are some of the most recent:

1. Eason will go and Scott Kincaid will replace him
2. 2 high officials in Walling's administration are having a relationship and the male is married.
3. Montle may be leaving
4. Jacqueline Foster may be pegged to be new head of DCED
5. At least one individual with Institutional knowledge of federal rules is on a hit list to be eliminated in DCED (up to 3 have been listed as possible). This will completely decimate the department if it happens and open the door to Flint losing their federal funds.
HASN'T THIS DEPARTMENT BEEN THROUGH ENOUGH CHAOS!
Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:42 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Has anyone found that little car that all the clowns climbed out of? The Shriners will need it soon for the circus. I has to be somewhere in city hall.

#2 - G.E. & D.P.?

Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:38 am 
MICU29
F L I N T O I D

5% for administration, what a joke. Why doesn't the union tell Walling they will meet the city with the same amount they are willing to give up.

Clearly hard times, if the WHOLE city was given a 15% cut then it would be fair but don't expect police/fire to take a big hit while the fat continues to suck the city dry.
Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:59 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Has anyone found that little car that all the clowns climbed out of?

Have you seen the size of some of those council members?? Shocked

Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:17 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Dave the female is single.
Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:20 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Jacqueline Foster once also worked for Kate Fields! Rumors flew during the Walling-Williamson race that Kate Fields wanted the job as DCED (Major Grants) Director. The title is gone and there is now a superintendent.

DCED employees wasted a lot of time proving to council that Kate didn't know what she was talking about most of the time. None of her complaints ever went anywhere.

Is Walling really going to make big changes starting next week?
Post Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:15 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

FLINT (WJRT) -- (12/31/09) -- The City of Flint joins the state and county, mandating furlough days for employees.

Twelve unpaid days will be scheduled during the next six months to save the city money.

Mayor Dayne Walling says public safety employees - that's police, fire and 911 - are not taking those furlough days, but he emphasizes that everything, every option must be discussed. "We're expecting right now $1 million in savings from our police and fire concessions and contracts. We need to get those concessions to balance our budget. So every option remains on the table," he said.

Just this week, police and fire unions met to discuss those cost-cutting and saving options to help avoid layoffs. The firefighters union president says they met Wednesday with someone from the city's Human Resources Department.

Those at the police department met with the chief Tuesday.

Both police and fire union leaders say furlough days were discussed even though public safety employees are exempt from those furloughs at this point.

Walling commented on the police meeting and the possibility of furlough days for public safety employees.

"The chief of police was explaining to the officers the need for us to achieve some concessions through negotiations, and started to describe the kinds of decisions we may have to make in the future if the unions don't cooperate with those cost savings," Walling said. "So there's nothing that's been planned or approved at this point, but we have all options on the table because we have to close this budget year in balance."

Although police, fire and 911 workers are not included in this round of furloughs, Walling says the money has to be cut somewhere.

"This is real," Walling said. "There is no time for games or politics. We need cost savings. We need everybody to be part of the solution."

Since public safety makes up the largest portion of Flint's general fund budget, Walling says these are the areas where big concessions need to be made.

"Right now we're expecting $1 million in savings from police and fire."

Those cuts are typically made as the budget-balancing process moves forward. "We had that calculated for the last half of this fiscal year, so we need that any day," he said.

Police and fire unions each had meetings this week.

"We were called in yesterday morning, with human resources," said Firefighters Union President Raul Garcia. "We were told if we did not come up with some concessions, then there would be the probability of layoffs."

"I've been with the department 14 years. When I first started, we had 220-plus firefighters. We're down to 80. I believe we've provided more than our fair share."

At the police department, there's been a 30 percent cut over the last three years, according to Sgt. Rick Hetherington, the head of the Flint Police Sergeant's Union.

Hetherington says his union has suggested changes in health care and the way sick and annual time is tallied as possible money-saving options.

We asked both Hetherington and Garcia if furlough days could ever be a possibility for public safety employees.

They both said they don't see how it would work. They believe public safety would be compromised, employees would be put at risk and overtime costs would likely eat up any savings.

A mid-year budget review is expected next month.

(Copyright ©2010 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:56 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

From the city charter.......

1. The people of the City of Flint have in this Charter reaffirmed their faith in fundamental human rights and in the equal rights of men and women. They have determined to promote social progress and to guarantee that City government serves the citizenry. The people of Flint have mandated that the City shall provide for public peace and health and for the safety of persons and property in the City; and they require that City officers promote respect for these rights and freedoms.

Would endangering public safety be grounds for removal from office?

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:43 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
From the city charter.......

1. The people of the City of Flint have in this Charter reaffirmed their faith in fundamental human rights and in the equal rights of men and women. They have determined to promote social progress and to guarantee that City government serves the citizenry. The people of Flint have mandated that the City shall provide for public peace and health and for the safety of persons and property in the City; and they require that City officers promote respect for these rights and freedoms.

Would endangering public safety be grounds for removal from office?

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

I think we should RECALL the mayor, he isn't looking out for the people of Flint. I seen Mayor Williamson visable in the community and actually helping people. When do you see Dayne Walling? Well of course at his fundraisers and ribbon cutting and don't forget tree lightings.
Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:42 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I find it interesting that while people complained about almost everything Williamson did, there's pretty much silence about Walling. There were many complaints about Don hiring cronies, but when Walling hires more cronies than Don ever did, and at higher salaries, nobody says a thing.

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:15 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

* crickets * Crickets cirping * crickets *

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Why not cut at the top and work your way down?

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
FLINT (WJRT) -- (12/31/09) -- The City of Flint joins the state and county, mandating furlough days for employees.

Twelve unpaid days will be scheduled during the next six months to save the city money.

Mayor Dayne Walling says public safety employees - that's police, fire and 911 - are not taking those furlough days, but he emphasizes that everything, every option must be discussed. "We're expecting right now $1 million in savings from our police and fire concessions and contracts. We need to get those concessions to balance our budget. So every option remains on the table," he said.

Just this week, police and fire unions met to discuss those cost-cutting and saving options to help avoid layoffs. The firefighters union president says they met Wednesday with someone from the city's Human Resources Department.

Those at the police department met with the chief Tuesday.

Both police and fire union leaders say furlough days were discussed even though public safety employees are exempt from those furloughs at this point.

Walling commented on the police meeting and the possibility of furlough days for public safety employees.

"The chief of police was explaining to the officers the need for us to achieve some concessions through negotiations, and started to describe the kinds of decisions we may have to make in the future if the unions don't cooperate with those cost savings," Walling said. "So there's nothing that's been planned or approved at this point, but we have all options on the table because we have to close this budget year in balance."

Although police, fire and 911 workers are not included in this round of furloughs, Walling says the money has to be cut somewhere.

"This is real," Walling said. "There is no time for games or politics. We need cost savings. We need everybody to be part of the solution."

Since public safety makes up the largest portion of Flint's general fund budget, Walling says these are the areas where big concessions need to be made.

"Right now we're expecting $1 million in savings from police and fire."

Those cuts are typically made as the budget-balancing process moves forward. "We had that calculated for the last half of this fiscal year, so we need that any day," he said.

Police and fire unions each had meetings this week.

"We were called in yesterday morning, with human resources," said Firefighters Union President Raul Garcia. "We were told if we did not come up with some concessions, then there would be the probability of layoffs."

"I've been with the department 14 years. When I first started, we had 220-plus firefighters. We're down to 80. I believe we've provided more than our fair share."

At the police department, there's been a 30 percent cut over the last three years, according to Sgt. Rick Hetherington, the head of the Flint Police Sergeant's Union.

Hetherington says his union has suggested changes in health care and the way sick and annual time is tallied as possible money-saving options.

We asked both Hetherington and Garcia if furlough days could ever be a possibility for public safety employees.

They both said they don't see how it would work. They believe public safety would be compromised, employees would be put at risk and overtime costs would likely eat up any savings.

A mid-year budget review is expected next month.

(Copyright ©2010 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:18 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: